The Lure Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one mate. Congrats to Kev as well!

I'm assuming the senko's are being hooked through the middle (wacky stylee) if you're after an even fall?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
I'm assuming the senko's are being hooked through the middle (wacky stylee) if you're after an even fall?
Actually not Ben.
Senkos have this ability to take a good hook size and still find level sinking.
You can lift them as in 'setting it up for an OTD fall' and within seconds, they slide around and tumble finding level sink.

I didn't realise this myself until quite recently either.
A very effective lure that seems to have surefire application in my Bass fishing.

I'm going to do a series of rigging how to's in a up-coming article because rigging, though it seems petty and anal to go into detail....
Makes all the difference, especially with weightless and weedless presentations.

After further looking into what is available Senko wise, I've ordered 4 or 500 in various lengths, widths and colours to do extensive tests.
3 to 7" and from 5g through 14 or 15g I think so a wide range.

Thing is....

IF i can get level sinking in a run or constricted current, I can expect better results simply because a lure change is fast and no messing.
Moving deeper and faster might just require a change from a thinner Senko to a fatter or longer one just to get the extra bulk and weight. Thing is, the fatter or longer bit is irrelevant really. Every Senko I've seen so far fits within our baitfish profile range whether fat, thin or whatever. The fact that it does nothing is everything. You don't see baitfish zooming around and neither will be Senko. However, unlike alot of other lures, you aren't left guessing as to how it's riding in the current. You know, that given the right line tension and swing, it'll find level and just flutter down really steadily as the current sweeps it along. And, it's heavy enough to maintain that tension without being too tight. There is no 'vagueness' with a Senko and they cast really well on 8 strand braids too.

Making on the run changes are fast. I can switch from 4 to 5" quickly and that changes the rig from 7g to 10g. A little too heavy, bite a bit off etc until it drifts perfect.
I've found a supplier of Senko copies so cheap it's unreal. Like £2.50 for 25 3" through to abut £4.50 for 25 5" lures in a huge colour range. Look here... a few hundred on the way.. http://alluringbaits.com/?q=catalog/1/salty_trick_stick . AGM does a nice selection too. Considering Wrasse love em too I'm not too concerned that i might be left with hundreds of unused Senko's cause the rockfish will destroy and munch em all up anyway.

Simple is best and you can't really get much simpler than a Senko and a hook.
Obviously not a method for everywhere but we have 4 - 5 months of fast water gutter fishing to enjoy right now so until I find something better at the price...
Senko's look good value.

Oh...

they fish great wacky too

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
They do sound good!

Any thoughts on which part of the lure a fish will home in on when it's going for it? This is another reason for asking about the Wacky rigging really. On a plain Senko, whcih bit does the fish head for? My assumption that it'd be the middle, sucking the whole thing in to 'the void'. Can imagine an end hooked bait being fine on smaller baits, but when you get up to 7" do you think a Wacky hooking may increase hookups? OR, do they just attack the first end that gets to them - which in fast current I guess is the hook end (with line forcing that end down-current more quickly than the lighter end?)?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They do sound good!

Any thoughts on which part of the lure a fish will home in on when it's going for it? This is another reason for asking about the Wacky rigging really. On a plain Senko, whcih bit does the fish head for? My assumption that it'd be the middle, sucking the whole thing in to 'the void'. Can imagine an end hooked bait being fine on smaller baits, but when you get up to 7" do you think a Wacky hooking may increase hookups? OR, do they just attack the first end that gets to them - which in fast current I guess is the hook end (with line forcing that end down-current more quickly than the lighter end?)?
Good questions to which I have no definitive answers Ben.
You know me though, It won't take long before we start getting to the nuts and bolts.

So far, all hookups have been really clean, inside top lip jobs even wacky rigged. I think that is because we strike UP.
In shallow water it's either top lip or scissors with any soft lure but again, I think that is more angle of connection than anything else.

There is a fatter end to a Senko, it's not a symmetrical taper, more asymmetrical and I find the balance point of equilibrium about 3 ribs back after the chamber section. This is where I hook wacky for a 'tips wobbling' fall for Rockfish inside current breaks.

More later, time for bed..long day.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
where do you get them senko things from? Do that have a paddle tail on all of them? I think I had one before of Callum and it got nailed clean in half and I didn't know where to get them from. Are they expensive?

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
I've found a supplier of Senko copies so cheap it's unreal. Like £2.50 for 25 3" through to abut £4.50 for 25 5" lures in a huge colour range. Look here... a few hundred on the way.. http://alluringbaits.com/?q=catalog/1/salty_trick_stick . AGM does a nice selection too. Considering Wrasse love em too I'm not too concerned that i might be left with hundreds of unused Senko's cause the rockfish will destroy and munch em all up anyway.
Post 3 Ritchie. They are a proper bargain.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I've been using senko's for a while now, about 6 months I guess. Not had bass but the pollack and wrasse love em!! They work really well shaky style for wrasse on a football or stand up head so I am sure if I did this in the right areas I would get bass as well. The salty ones are best. BassPro do them with in built scents as well which the rockies seem to love. Sure others also do...

I have found the 4 inch ones seem a bit too stubby to get a shake going and 5 inch seems to miss takes unless wacky rigged or bigger rockies so am using cut tail worms instead which are very similar but slimmer and more flexible.

Best of all, as Keith has said... THEY ARE CHEAP!!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
where do you get them senko things from? Do that have a paddle tail on all of them? Are they expensive?
**** does have a very limited range so far.

Only the Swim Senko has a paddle (being discussed is the Senko that has no paddle)

Available very cheaply from loads of locations and come in a huge variety of colours, lengths etc.

·
Registered
498 Posts
only had time for a quick read keith, are the zoom 5" finesse any use has a substitute for the senkos got 4 packs to use before i go ordering more softies? cheers

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
only had time for a quick read keith, are the zoom 5" finesse any use has a substitute for the senkos got 4 packs to use before i go ordering more softies? cheers
No m8, they don't work the same.

Like I said in the article, don't go rushing out to buy anything as tests are underway.
I'll have a ton of lures to pass out anyway. These things cast like a jighead without actually having one.
And....

They sink level and always fight to attain level which is unique so far in my experience.

Save those Zoom finesse worms for shaky style. We'll be using that down the gutters too over slack.
So much to do but so little time...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Great report Keith.With regards to the wrasse had two trips out in the last week only targeting wrasse from my yak.Went looking for smooth rocky type boulders with some weed growth in calm areas.Had probably 50 fish up to 2.5 lbs but no bigger fish though.On the plus side due to working the jig head vertical not one lost jig head.Also managed to draw a few out of the kelp by bouncing the jig head lightly on the canopy. but still no bigger fish.... could be the yak/clean water

steve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts