The Lure Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lure fishing for a while now and as i have just started catching at long last i've decided that i'm going to up grade my kit. I really enjoy this type of fishing now and about time i got a better set-up.

A big thank you to this forum as my catches have increased after reading the threads on here.

Anyway, i've found the reel a shimano rarenuim, i will be going for the 3000, but i just need some advice on the rod. I am currently using a shimano 2.4m spinning rod and i'm not sure which of three rods to chose from to go with the reel.
The choices are
Sakura rookie 7.8ft or 8.6ft or a teklon 802ml
As i understand it these rods are all similar and i was really straying towards the sakura 8ft 6 but recently i'm not sure whether to go with the sukaru rookie 7ft 8.
The lures i fish with are generally between 11gr and 28gr.
If anyone has been lucky enough to have tried all three your advice would be appreciated or any opinions good or bad about my choices.
Forgot to add i only use surfave lures at the moment if it makes any difference.

By the way i have had my recent catches on the patchinko 100 cabolt, i can't sing its praises high enough

Thanks Mike

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I know several members of the board fish with these rods, so hopefully someone will give you information.
Totally agree with your comments on the Patchinko100/cabot-mine was doing the business yesterday morning.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I reached the half century of Bass on my Patchinko 100 on sunday night! Also lost a chunk that managed to swap the hookhold in its mouth for a weed covered rock, unhooking itself in the process...I waded out and managed to free the lure though, thank god!

Rodwise, I can only comment re length. If I was choosing a rod now, I would be going for the 7'8'' one. I fish with an 8ft 2inch Major Craft Saltic for all my plugs now, and love it, but given the choice, I'd chop 6inches off the top! The 7ft LRF and HRF rods I use for SP's now just feel a lot more comfortable in hand.

As for the models you have highlighted, I dont think you would be unhappy with either. Both are proven and popular for a reason. Best advice is to have a feel of the rod itself if there is anyone in your area.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts