The Lure Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder how you connect the lure with the braid on your tackles. Should the FC leader be used? With an albright knot?

The most suitable would be braid+albright knot+ FC leader + rapala knot+ lure?

Do you think that it would be necessary to use an FC leader for night fishing?

Thanks in advance for your advices.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Erme,
Always try and use FC as a leader and Yes ! use the "Albright" Knot to tie it to your braid or you can use a "Slim Beauty" knot.Use the Rapala knot to attach lures or buy some Rossco lure clips.

Also you can use FC at night...Better than mono

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Emre, if you put "knot" in the search box up the top you'll find many opinions on Fluoro/braid connections. Take your pick!
The Albright is a popular one though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for the advices. Then next question comes:)
which FC? I'm using spiderwire invisibraid 10lb for the main line and I think that the FC should be in the same size, 10lb?.
What do you think about the FC's that I found on MrFish website;
Ultima pure power FC and triple fish FC or another Spiderwire brand, extreme 100% FC?

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
I've been using some Tenryu FC I got from Mr Fish (not on the website) but I don't like it, it's just too hard and seems quite thick. I recently went over to some Yamatoyo which I do like. I use a fluoro thats a bit heavier than my braid.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been using some Tenryu FC I got from Mr Fish (not on the website) but I don't like it, it's just too hard and seems quite thick. I recently went over to some Yamatoyo which I do like. I use a fluoro thats a bit heavier than my braid.
Thanks Tim. Hows the knot strength of Yamatoyo?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I'm lazy and I pre-tie my albright knot at home. I then tie on a small swivel about 75mm after the knot, then my FC leader after the swivel. It's not the proper way to do it, but on a dark windy night, I find it much easier just to retie a leader to the swivel, than fiddling about with an albright knot.

The reason I leave a small gap of line after the albright to the svivel is to allow for the split shot if I decide to use a carolina rig.

Hope this helps

Gary

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Emre

I tie my braid to one of these, then my leader to the ring as well. It's easier to change the leader & I have never had any problems.

https://www.tackleuk.co.uk/rings-with-reflective-coating-p-5977.html

These rings come in round, oval, pear shaped etc. it doesn't matter which shape you get but get the 3.0mm or bigger. They are very strong, the only issue is that some braids have to be doubled over & passed through the ring & tie the braid that way doubled. If that makes sense. Some braids are fine to tie normally to the ring. Test the knot & your braid type.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thanks a lot for the advices. Then next question comes:)
which FC? I'm using spiderwire invisibraid 10lb for the main line and I think that the FC should be in the same size, 10lb?.
What do you think about the FC's that I found on MrFish website;
Ultima pure power FC and triple fish FC or another Spiderwire brand, extreme 100% FC?

Hi Emre.
Keep in mind, that the knot joining the braid to the FC will be a significant weak spot. As such, I would (and do) use a heavier FC. I use 20lb and 30lb FC with my 16lb braid. Now before everyone jumps in, let me pointout that the 30lb is used when I am using soley surface lures, in plenty of water. If they get caught on anything, it bladder wrack weed. I can pull out of this ok with a sustained pull. The reason for the 30lb is because I found that with light bs leaders, i would all too often reel in to find the top treble has hooked up on the line. This seemed to be happening when the lure was sliding forwards. Because the leader was so light, it was easily bent over by the lure and "overtaken". Resulting in a fouled treble. Since using 30lb leader, I have not had this trouble (I am only using about 50cm to 75cm length) as the line is stiffer than its thinner counterpart.
However, if when I go fishing I am going to be spending most of my time with subsurface / sinking lures, then I will use the 20lb.

So, depending what you are casting with your outfit, I would say to use 15lb FC with your 10lb braid.
:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts