The Lure Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I've read on this forum so far, it would seem that a shallow reef, running at right angles to a tide race, should be good bass holding ground.

I know of such reefs close to where my boat is moored, so have decided to focus my efforts there for a while.

My plan at the moment is to work the 'up stream' side of the reef, as it were. My thinking was to anchor up and jig sp's.

Anybody have any thoughts on fishing such structure?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Have a go...Reefs are always productive spots for all species of fish.

The amount of people I know who steam miles out to sea to catch Bass and theres no need!
there are fish on your own ground if you know where to look.

One thing I would like to point out is dont stay on the same reef, move from one to another untill you find the fish as they tend to move about at different stages of the tide.

Where I fish here in North Wales you get a window of about 15-20 mins sometimes a bit longer where you can catch on a reef then the fish will move off in the tide to another reef or location,it,s a case of finding their pattern of where they are at certain stages of the tide.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I agree with Gary they will move fairly swiftly catching fish for about 20 mins. The thing is you can build up knowledge fishing different reefs at differents times of the tide. some reefs will only fish on a flooding tide whilst some will only fish on an ebb tide. Sometimes the fish will hold further down from the reef itself

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
My last bass in ireland came from a shallow reef I had ignored all fortnight in the boat - either drift or anchor alongside to fish the drop offs (pref. drifting!)

Interestingly it had its throat stuffed with prawns and two peelers - glutton that spat out alot on the deck! (at least 10 decent sized shrimp) - this would indicate a gorging over a small time window ... food for thought

1 - 4 of 4 Posts