The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having voraciously consumed much of the gold in these forums (and still so much more to dig up), I got my hands on some SPs and finally managed to get out for the first time with them Saturday at a nearby but tough to reach mark.

I was armed with some giant xlayers, some Slug-Gos and a few miscellaneous soft, wiggly things just to play with. After one session, I think I might trash my hard plastics! ;)

The attraction of lure fishing for me has been the level of engagement with what's going on under the surface and at the end of the line. Using SPs on jig heads, that engagement and feedback is significantly multiplied.

It was particularly fascinating to work the lure across the bottom, feeling where there were rocks, sand, weed, etc. It gave me a new perspective on the layout of this mark that I've visited a handful of times now.

I didn't land anything (likely down to my inexperience) but in the three hours there had two hard bites to the lure (xlayers both times - no surprise to some, I'm sure).

After the first bite, the amount of information I had learned about the sea bed there helped me to put the lure back in the same place. After a couple more casts, that's when I got the second bite - in almost the exact same location. Suddenly, this felt a lot less like "chuck it and see".

So SPs were a real eye opener, and I'm sure I'll be focusing on them far more than hard plastics for most of my fishing now.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Neil I went out on Friday night for a couple of hours to bounce some small 2" sp's in our local tidal harbour, my first attempt at the small stuff. I concentrated on three soft plastics all around 2" in purple, white & dark green I was surprised not to get a touch on them, however a guy & his son bait fishing nearby had nothing so maybe there was nothing to be had.
It was an interesting experience & one which I will keep up as I know from my bait fishing days that the harbour holds a lot of small coalfish in the winter & the various smaller wrasse, gobies & mini species, plus the mullet are still here for a few more weeks.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Neil thats exactly how I felt after first using them it's the total absorption but equally if I don't fully focus on what I'm doing I lose tackle so cheaply.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Sounds like rockfish investigating them lures m8...

Just wait till you hook one...

Just as worthy as any Bass IMO and not easy to be consistent with until you understand their habits a bit.

Really helps with confidence when it comes to soft lures and Bass.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good job man,what are you using mostly jigheads or texposer hooks?
jigheads mainly so far, though after reading Keith's blog I want to try splitshot rigging as I like the extra control over weight that would offer. Still need some practice with texposer type hooks, though, I haven't got the knack of getting the SP to sit quite right on them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts