The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I have about 6 little stones, but cannot remember where from. I think that is a small stone with a hole in the end to take a little lanyard or something. Personally I carry a little stone (3 inches) in each of my lure boxes, and everytime I clip on a lure, the hooks get a once over. I dont think enough people keep their hooks sharp enough, particularly with SP's when you have just the one hook point that is often bumped across sand and gravel. Takes the point off in no time.

Here is one anyway http://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/retractable-hook-sharpener-p-308.html

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I have about 6 little stones, but cannot remember where from. I think that is a small stone with a hole in the end to take a little lanyard or something. Personally I carry a little stone (3 inches) in each of my lure boxes, and everytime I clip on a lure, the hooks get a once over. I dont think enough people keep their hooks sharp enough, particularly with SP's when you have just the one hook point that is often bumped across sand and gravel. Takes the point off in no time.

Here is one anyway http://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/retractable-hook-sharpener-p-308.html
That's the one I use. One in each bag.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Tiemco make one, that is awesome. It is a white ceramic stone about 1x4" medium grade one side and extra fine on the other. Sharpens hooks brilliantly, used them for years (great for reforming hook points for hard mouthed fish like tarpon). About £15, Will see if I can find a link.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mark, is there a proven technique to using this? I only ask because I started sharpening my hooks the other day and got fobbed off after 10 mins faffing around because I couldn't get a proper grip on the shanks without pr!cking my fingers every few seconds! Apart from removing the treble, gripping the shank with some pliers and sharpening I really can't see this as being an easy piece of kit to use.

Also, do you sharpen the hooks just in one direction or back and forth?

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I am sure there is a proper technique, but I personally move the hook over the stone with trebles, sharpening the outside and the sides of each point. For SP's with a single hook its obviously much easier to grip the hook and sharpen as usual. I just use stroking movement from the bend of the hook up past the point. Only takes ten seconds for a point to get 'sticky sharp' which is my aim.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts