The Lure Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a general enquiry to see if anyone else has had problems with the bale arm flicking back over in mid cast on their Shimano reel. I have had it happen on numerous occasions now with disastrous ( and expensive) results on my Shimano 5000. Never had it with any of my previous reels, and wonder if my reel has a one off problem, or if other people have had similar experiences.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Dave, I just fixed this problem on my Exage 4000. The problem had got progressively worse and I diagnosed the issue as the bail assembly being worn. In the end cap there is a recess for a little plastic peg that engages the bail arm spring. This recess had become worn and the peg was jumping out meaning the bail arm was not locked during the cast and would click over. If you look at the exploded diagram of the reel (on the box or online) you should get a part number. If you call Shimano Felindre they will send you a new part same day. It's an easy to fix problem and the part is only a pound or two. Call them on 01792 796584
http://www.shimanofelindre.co.uk/felindreservice/index.php

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Tim, I`ll check it out today - already cost me a couple of nice lures. Really good distance casts with no line attached though!

I will be disappointed if it is worn, the reel is new this season and the Shimano stuff is usually top knotch in my experience.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
The only time I actually had this trouble in the past, I kind of figured out that it was due to the momentum of the handle on the cast. It only happened on Shimano 4000+ size reels - those with a bigger handle. Depending on the final resting place of the handle before the cast, I think the momentum was actually enough to move the handle forward, and therefore close the bail arm. It takes a bit of a jolt, but thats exactly what the cast is obviously. I've heard lots of theories, but those were my findings. Luckily I only ever lost swimfeeders and not expensive lures though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ben, I will look at that too. I am very careful about making sure that the bailarm is set back properly before each cast and it still happens very occasionaly. Lost a Maria Chase only this morning, hurts more when its like this- can take losing them on a rock- up to a point that is.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well guys , I got onto Shimano this morning and can`t believe the response I recieved. In fact I was so taken back that I will start a seperate thread for everyones benefit. Read on

·
Registered
779 Posts
Well guys , I got onto Shimano this morning and can`t believe the response I recieved. In fact I was so taken back that I will start a seperate thread for everyones benefit. Read on
cant wait - twinpowers seem to have the same issue - stellas are fine though

1 - 7 of 7 Posts