The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assuming these are likely to be 2 of the best light rods currently available in the UK, which is currently getting the best review from you guys out there using them both? Or with the Shimano having a solid tip, are they proving to be quite different rods?

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Excellent question as I was wondering the same myself this evening. I tried the Diasflash, loved it, I could not believe the feeling I got with the solid tip and how sensitive it was when I felt a 6oz pollack tapping at it. I havnt tried the Cormoran yet but want to now as it has a different action and feel to the Shimano, Keith has both so he will fill us in I am sure, but I still want to try them both out for myself. I havnt even started to think about different weather conditions for different actions and casting weights of rods etc. This is like finding another dimention I tell ya.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny innit. I haven't been out properly yet and I'm super excited about it. Be good to hear Keiths thoughts. Always good to hear about or know what's going on in the tackle World - what the current best options are ;-)

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Ben,
perhaps we should have a bit more info on other rods too? Not sure if you are asking to buy yourself or just for info but Keith also has a MajorCraft Zaltz, and a Cormoran and possibly others! I will let people know what my Daiwa is like soon hopefully.....

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eventually Mike, but I'm thinking mostly about stuff thats already available in the UK. Those who are super keen have ordered from Japan or France, but with these 2 rods being available here, they're really the main ones I think people need to know about. I'd consider buying one if needed anything above or beyond what I have coming. Buying from abroad won't be for everybody - that's my point really.

Reactions: Dr.Thomas k

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
A good question. The Shimano I haven't tried although I had a wiggle of one in Nantes at the Shimano stand. The rep bent the tip beyond what I'd call sane. It's like a little quiver tip. I'd love one.

The Cormoran is a different rod. More like a scaled down lure rod with a fast tip developing into softish action.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Good point Ben. In due course though it will be interesting to see how they compare though to work out if there is any real benefit in buying from Japan or France. Hopefully some of the manufacturers here will pick up on it and start importing/making some more for us.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Definitely! Between us it won't be long before we have all sorts to compare. Between about 5 of us we'll have some proper, proper rods to look at. Somebody needs to buy the Tenryu, and somebody else the Smith, then we'll have some of the very best between us.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
So far...

We have seen and/or fished...

Cormoran ULX 7 and 8ft, ULF 8ft, TR4 (1 model is more MRF but still suitable as a allrounder), Shimano Salty Shot, Diaflash and MC Zaltz 7' 3".

MRF: Maro Power, Aori Ika (trabucco)

HRF we have Injection, Daiwa Infeet HRF, TR5 (multi), Heavier TR4, MegaBass Silver Shadow, 7ft Bushwhacker.

This is just off the top of my head. We'll slot more in as we go. Sadly, it seems the Tenryu's are too short on the face of it at around 6' 6" ish.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
During the same weekend as the Jersey festival (or earlier), we'll all have to have one huge LRF meet to get together and compare everything. Take over the island!!

I should have looked at the length of the Tenryu actually. Didn't realise it was quite so short. Bit of a bummer if it's costing around £400!!

The Smith rods I reckon just about make the best I've handled so far. But they're not cheap either.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
LRF fest Ben ?

Honestly, jumping ahead a few weeks....LOL

We were already thinking about the possible exponential growth in LRF/MRF/HRF styles and we reckon Elizabeth Castle area is made for it.
Would cope with hundreds of anglers, spectators, great setting, easy to find..

Next year, we could setup a BIG rockfishing comp/bumble. Now that would be awesome.

baby steps though, baby steps. Lets get this out to the masses properly first.
Fun family fishing that can be as simple or advanced as you like. Can't beat it.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
So far...

We have seen and/or fished...

Cormoran ULX 7 and 8ft, ULF 8ft, TR4 (1 model is more MRF but still suitable as a allrounder), Shimano Salty Shot, Diaflash and MC Zaltz 7' 3".

MRF: Maro Power, Aori Ika (trabucco)

HRF we have Injection, Daiwa Infeet HRF, TR5 (multi), Heavier TR4, MegaBass Silver Shadow, 7ft Bushwhacker.

This is just off the top of my head. We'll slot more in as we go. Sadly, it seems the Tenryu's are too short on the face of it at around 6' 6" ish.
My Salty Shot is only 6ft Keith and it seems OK. Why do you want longer?? Is it just as you fish high up??

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LRF fest Ben ?

Honestly, jumping ahead a few weeks....LOL
lol, I know I do get ahead of myself, but I'm not thinking about a full-on LRF fest just yet!! haha. Just a meet where we're all involved. Try out some tackle, catch a few etc etc. Fun fun fun first and foremost.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
My Salty Shot is only 6ft Keith and it seems OK. Why do you want longer?? Is it just as you fish high up??
Mostly for line control v's felt weight and sensitivity Andy.

If your Salty is 6ft, great, give us all the pro's and con's as you fish with it more and more.
We are all driving this LRF wagon together m8. One big steering wheel.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
During the same weekend as the Jersey festival (or earlier), we'll all have to have one huge LRF meet to get together and compare everything. Take over the island!!

I should have looked at the length of the Tenryu actually. Didn't realise it was quite so short. Bit of a bummer if it's costing around £400!!

The Smith rods I reckon just about make the best I've handled so far. But they're not cheap either.
Ben the Tenryu is a lovely rod. I reckon you'd get used to the short length don't you? There isn't much casting required and the action should be good enough to handle the light lines well enough.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, you're probably right mate. I thought it was a really nice rod. All depends a bit I what you're doing, do you reckon? I get a bit funny casting when they get under 7'. Totally depends what you're used to though.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
A good question. The Shimano I haven't tried although I had a wiggle of one in Nantes at the Shimano stand. The rep bent the tip beyond what I'd call sane. It's like a little quiver tip. I'd love one.

The Cormoran is a different rod. More like a scaled down lure rod with a fast tip developing into softish action.
Paul, that shimano one, was it the one you showed me? The new shimano one I have is maybe a little heavy perhaps 3-15g, looking for a lighter model

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Paul, that shimano one, was it the one you showed me? The new shimano one I have is maybe a little heavy perhaps 3-15g, looking for a lighter model
I think so? One thing I noted (I need a life) is the lack of any whipping on the spigot. Very cool to trust your blank production that far I'd say. There's lighter then there's the Diaflash. Very self indulgent fun for those lucky enough to have one.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Mike, I use a Shimano Salty Shot that is rated 3-14g, but have used 2g on it and it felt fine still. If I was buying now, I would have gone lighter, in the same ball park as the Zaltz and Diaflash Keith has.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts