The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my rod and now have a new reel on it, still not sure if Shimano is better than Pfluegar, the drag on Shimano reels is certainly not very good on my Twinpower 4000 or the new Stradic 2500, both front drag. It really is poor, you have to do it up so tight to not click out when twitching and ripping lures (in fact even a straight retreive with a diving lure sees line clicking out) that the fish can hardly take any and the rod is buckled too far for comfort. I have never had a single click of line come off the Pfluegar when twitching and working a lure hard, but the shimano's do it so easily it drives me nuts.

Thought it was just my twinpower 4000 but just got a new Stradic 2500 and it's the same. I had to do the drag up so tight to stop the annoying clicks that a 3lb rockie could hardly take line when using the Infeet, poor rod has never been forced to work so hard.

Is it just me being fussy?? These are expensive reels and I expect them to work!!!

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both reels have done it since brand new. I will get them serviced after the Jersey fest but will be buying american made reels from now on. I don't expect to have to fiddle with drag washers ever, let alone out of the box.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Not good Andy sounds like you may have had a problem from new. I have a rarenium and had no problem what so ever with the drag. Keith White will tell you I now strip line off the reel using the clutch every time I cast and return the bale arm with no sign of any inconsistency with the drag mate.....Get it stripped and checked out mate......

·
Registered
102 Posts
ive got the tp 4000 fc had no problem with the drag thats been spot on but had loads of problems with bail and line roller

·
Registered
547 Posts
ive got the tp 4000 fc had no problem with the drag thats been spot on but had loads of problems with bail and line roller
Kev, Do you mean the line roller is noisy, jamming, or simply not working......and what do you mean by the 'Bail'...... I converted my Twinpower 4000FC to manual bail trip only, by removing the bail trip strike (quite an eay job). Robert.

·
Registered
271 Posts
do you keep them locked up when not in use or back them off?

Love my front drag shimanos. 4000 stradic,2500stradic,4000 rarenium,3x 4500 ultegra's,1000 biomaster and even a cheepie 1000catana not a bother with any of em!

·
Registered
102 Posts
i cant have the roller screwed in place tight enough because if i do it does not go around but then i get the problem of the line not going in the groove in the roller causing the line to move against the bail arm rite next to where you screw the roller in place causing it to snap after a while i got used to checking after each cast that the line was sitting in the roller properly ive been saving and going get a new reel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts