The Lure Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hunting thru the darker recesses of my living room come tackle storage facillity and came across a rod I bought years ago to to on holiday. Anyway, the haoliday was cancelled due to the female I was with at the time deciding to "walk". I totally forgot about the rod until today when I found it again.
Its a decdicated travel rod, breaking down into 6 seperate pieces. Even tho only 5 of them are used at any one time. After the butt section, there is a choice two different "next" sections. One makes the complete rod 3 metres long, the other, 3.6 meters. Its rated 20g to 50g and as yet, its not even had a line thru its rings.

I am curious to know if anyone else has, or has had, one of these and if so, how they got on with it?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I've got one, the 2124 Medium version though.
Decent enough rod for the price, through actioned but gutsy enough.
Has handled some very decent fish, seems to be able to take a fair bit of stick.
Never had a problem with mine.
Only ever really use it at a 2/3rd travel rod or a spare though so doesn't get that much use but well worth the 50 odd quid i paid for it.
Cheers

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hi Andy,
I bought one of these about 10 years ago, and everytime I have used it I have thought it a nice enough rod as a spare. I use it in its 3m mode as a plugging rod and 3.3m as float / livebaiting or very light ledgering/ freelining.
As a 3m (10') plugger I have always found it a very nice rod to use; until recently my main plugging rod being 10 foot but now that I am getting used to plugging with an 8' Teklon job, when I pick up any 10' plugger (even to a certain extent my No.1 rod the Bug Special) it feels a bit like a 12' carp rod in comparison, and with a backpacking holiday trip approaching I was looking for the 8'/9' (2.4m/2.7m) version of the same travel rod I have but failed.
So I went with what I had which is the same rod you have, and although initially it felt a bit long and sloppy even in its 3m/10' mode, I soon got used to it and caught a few nice fish (on my 2010 album) using the usual bass lures, talked about on here. Sure I wished I had my Teklon, but pulling a few decent bass out using less than ideal, perhaps "retro" tackle tends to give me a unique buzz of achievement. Being also told on another forum once that the exage stc was a totally different blank than the newer 'Beastmaster' version that succeeded it and nowhere near as good, although I dont dispute this, it actually increased the buzz. I suppose once I have caught a few fish on any rod, I tend to build up an affinity with it.

So I'd say for all your bass plugging needs as long as you are able to adapt to 10', that rod in its 3m mode is more than up to the task and will do you OK, but if you try it out in a 'normal' session 1st to see how it performs will probably be a better endorsement for you than anyone can give you anyway.
Hope this helps,
Ian

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ian, that does help.
I took it out tonite as it happens. The low spring tides we have at the moment exposed the local sand (well, small stone and roarse, or however its spelt) bank. It juts straight out from the local beach about 1/3 of a mile with a good 3 ft of water on the landward side of it. I ended up standing around knee deep in water for an hour or so flicking it around and generally having fun. I agree with the floopy sensation it seems to give on casting, but on the retrieve, it semmed ok. Just need to get some very shallow / surface lures for this area. The amount of sea bed debris with every retrieve that was the tiniest bit too fast, was incredible. I did manage to get one take on it. Must have hooked it really feebly tho. My son said it was the seabed, but without retrieving the line, the rod bent further and further round until the clutch began to let out line for a couple of seconds. Then nothing. I told my son straight, that my heart doesn't need to be set racing like that unless there is going to be a fish on the shore at the end of it. Oh, and I maybe keep 1 fish per year. Cod or skate, either will do. Everything else goes back as unharmed as possible.

So now its off to Mr fish for a look at some surface minnows / mini poppers and throw them into my ever increasing wish list.

Thanks again mate, Andy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts