The Lure Forums banner

Shimano Lure Case

3K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  Craig R 
#1 ·
http://www.shimanoshop.co.uk/store/shimano-lure-case

I know, it's been around a while and yes there are some problems with hooks getting caught in the drain holes in the bottom of the plastic dividers....

but I have to say I wish I'd got one of these earlier! I got the medium on with 12 lure slots. I was a bit concerned about the depth of the case at first but it easily holds Patchinko's, 13 cm max raps, feed shalllows, etc.

The hook hole problem is easily solved with some gaffer tap if you're that fussy and just drill some smaller holes in the tape or side of the tubes. Personally I didn't find it a problem as there are 4 plastic slots which each have 3 lure sections (in the medium case) so if a hook gets caught, just pull out the plastic slot and pop the hook back through the hole, only takes a few seconds. I'd rather leave the holes there so it cant drain out anyway. The case itself also has drain holes at the bottom so if you dunk it the water will just run out again.

If like me you're one of those people who like to take a lot of gear in a rucksack, camera, lure boxes, package jacket, drinks, tools line etc..etc.. then the rapala sling bag is too small for a day's fishing and not really suitable.

The problem with just a rucksack on it's own though is that changing lures means you either have to take off the rucksack which takes time and is impractical, or store lures in pockets. That normally means extra layers on a hot day with big pockets and I'll usually spike myself as the hook guards always manage to fall off!

This Lure case means I can have my gear in the rucksack as normal but still have a quick easy access way to get at 12 of my favourites without all the pissing about or finger bleeding roulette. It straps to your waist and is fairly light so you hardly notice it's on. I also chuck a few toby's and a few little bits in the front compartment.

So far so good, as for the rust factor...well I tend to look after my gear but only time will tell. Even if it did only last a year, at £20 a pop i'll just buy another but I suspect it will last longer, it seems pretty well made and tough. In fact I'll probably buy another anyway for my Pike stuff.

As a bonus feature, I can just put the whole thing under the shower to rinse the salt off, lures and all. I then just let it drain out and hang it somewhere to dry off completely, normally the airing cupboard for a couple of hours. Saves time not washing the lures seperately (yes I used to do that :p)

Anyone else got one of these? It gets the thumbs up from me :)

See less See more
#2 ·
I bought one about 4 years ago now, and its testament that its still in working order. I started using more irregular shape and size lures, along with SP's etc now, so I dont really use it, but would certainly recommend it. Good for wading deep etc, water in - water out. Simples.

#3 ·
Yep, love mine too, although it doesn't seem to get used much anymore. Like you say, the annoyance with the holes is easy to fix if you can be bothered. I've heard of a few people using them and having the part that the belt slides through coming away, but mine is still 100% after a lot of use.

#4 ·
Personally I`m loving my Fishpond chest and back pack, its very comfy to wear all day, has ample room for lure boxes, food, spare clothing, I bought the hydration pack aswell which is fantastic, It holds all my tools and gadgets neatly and more importantly to hand. It is so practical and versatile you can customise it to the day and the fishing your doing. I tend to set the chest pack up based on the mark I intend fishing and it still has the flexibility to re-arrange compartments/pockets very quickly if im moving to a new mark or changing tactics!!! Everyone has their own personal specifications and oppinions but theese are superb. Also the chest pack can be taken away from the back-pack and be used solely as a chest pack or a shoulder bag or even a sling bag!!!! wicked bit of kit imho.

#8 ·
I had the small Shimano lure case and never really liked it. I've passed it on to my wife who's perfectly happy with it. I now use the Rapala sling bag, which is one of the best things I ever bought. I've changed both the original boxes, one for a case that runs lengthways ( to allow for longer lures) and the other a Sakura double sided case to allow twice as much storage.

#9 ·
I have the sakura koa bag. Though the front pockets mean that I can store 20 lures + a few sp's + bits. But the rear compartment is unnecessarily small.
I agree with you completely Ben. My only criticism of my one is the lack of space in the back. I get one box (the size box from the slingbag) in the main bit, then really have to stuff the couple of other bits in.

#10 ·
Really useful thread - I'm interested in the comments about the Sakura Koa as I was thinking of getting one - has anyone got / seen one of the Sakura Deka belt bags? How do they compare to the Shimano? I've been using a Snowbee waterproof rucksack which is simple and effective but a bit of a pain to access quickly so I end up storing 10 frequent fliers in a Sakura double sided case that I stuff down the front of my waders. Thanks, Ben.

#12 ·
All in all the Shimano case i have is certainly better than i was used to, mine has 18 compartments, some of which a bunch of soft plastics can be stuffed into in addition to the plugs of course but certain hooks do get caught quite often, as pointed out and it can get a bit frustrating. Seems pretty strong and well made though and sits comfortably around the waist. Good starting point i think for me anyway until i get a bit more experience and discover what might work better with the way i fish. Good value.

#14 · (Edited)
have a look at this one sakura street buzz ace lure bag
http://www.basslures.co.uk/catalog/product/gallery/id/368/image/505/
i've got got one of these,really well thought out bag giving you nice and quick access theres some great features like the rod holder along the bottom of the bag when you swing the bag around if front of you theres a bit to poke your rod down through so you can work hands free, can't recommend it enough .
i must confess i do have a bit of a luggage fetish always trying to search out the right bag,

edit: (no way! me link actually works)

#15 ·
For me, the best thing about the Shimano Lure Bag is that it stops me taking too many lures and makes me think about my approach more instead of over complicating things by chopping and changing constantly. Bit of Duck Tape sorts the hole snagging problem out a treat.

#17 ·
Hi Tim,

Untill last week I struggled with a rapala satchel type bag, and boxes with my lures in. Last week I cut 15 acrylic tubes for my lures and used them in the bag instead. Absolutley fantastic, much easier to change lures quiclkly. However the satchel is not really designed for tubes, and the tube I used is quite heavy, so I am now looking for an off the shelf bag with hangers.

How did you find the Imax?

Thanks

Jon

#19 ·
TBH Jon, Not brilliant, maybe it's because I have too many jigheads on the flybench but the blurdy thing slips down unless the belt is tightened to extremes and of course that's not right comfy! Also, the 'plug tubes' that come with it are a joke, try to select one plug and you get a handful. After purchasing a Sakura Trek from Mick recently the Imax is now my LRF bag

#20 ·
Hi Tim,

Thanks

Jon
Jon

I've got the Imax Bass/Waist bag. Like Tim said, I have not found it good for carrying anything remotely heavy as the bag hangs off your waist & bounces up & down as you walk along. What they were thinking of with those tubes I do not know!? However Marq also has one & he has made his own lure tubes from a length of square plastic pipe. Stuck all together in the bag they make it easy to take lures in/out without messing around with hookgaurds etc

Cheers

Toby

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.