The Lure Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just acquired a new lightweight rod, a 7'-8' 3-15g shimano purist creek critter. 2pcs plus ext, solid tip, anyone used one?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Nope, but sounds nice. Any pics, Mike?

·
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tim, i'll put up some pics tonight. Im not liking the initial feeling to the rod, way so soft to what im used to! Never used such a lightweight setup, so only time and use will tell, i dont feel confident in using on any sizeable wrasse to be honest though.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
It sounds like it might be a trout spinning rod. Lots of them are deliberately softer than the fast action rods we use for bass. It will still be good fun for other species even if it is not powerful enough for wrasse.

·
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes Mike, i agree on the rod style, like i said im new to the lighter gear, here some pics

·
6,295 Posts
Mike I agree with whats been said, you knowe the places you can catch small harbour or rock pollack, or where the mackerel shoal close to the shore, use it there with a small lure and I am sure if you balance it up with a small reel and thin line its going to be a great fun rod.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Looks good, Mike but maybe too light for wrasse. Should be good on all the small stuff though. You must have some good harbour/sea wall/pier marks down your way to start playing?

·
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah agreed, def wouldnt want to connect to anything too big, twinpower 3000 15lb powershot should be fine

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Too light for Ballan Wrasse maybe.

still lots of other Wrasse to play with plus, loads of other species.

Solid tipped rods are said to be way more sensitive to jigs than tubular tips.

I think that like anything, a good tube might beat a bad solid.

·
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In my own experiences with the wrasse, i think it might struggle with the initial take of a 2lb+. But willing to give it a try

1 - 16 of 16 Posts