The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I have a query about the Shimano Rarenium Ci4 4000. Have any of you actually used this reel and if so have you any comments?

Specifically, I was interested in how the line lay is compared to other similar reels, (the Shimano website doesn't mention the reel as having the 2 speed oscillation feature)? Also does it have a sealed drag, (like on the Technium for example)? On a similar note is it one of those reels that Shimano advise, (in the manual) as suitable for saltwater use. I realise that none of these reels are waterproof, but as you are probably well aware Shimano advise against saltwater use for some of their reels. The standard baitrunners for example.

I listed a similar query on Worldseafishing, but tonight there has been a major outbreak of bickering, so perhaps the main players are otherwise occupied! Of course I may be jumping the gun, they just may not have any information on the above reel.

Anyway, if you can assist please let me know.

Ps. If junior member refers to age (as opposed to number of posts), I am sorry to say that I am far from a junior member, unless you mean under 44!! I can't seem to amend this, is this down to my stupidity or is this a job for a moderator?

All the best,

W

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I have that reel. It is gorgeous. In fact i have the 4000 & the 3000.

The line lay is lovely, and is comparible with my Technium. As for more Technical questions around drags - i dunno - it seems fine to me. I actually prefer it to my Technium, as it's lighter more compact, and just all-round spankingly gorgeous !!!

I'll be giving it a good thrashing in the salt this year, with a little rinse after every use. I've also had double figure Pike on it already this year, and it handled it no bother !!

Seems a lot of reel for the money to me !!!!

I know that a few of the other guys on here have got that reel, so you should get a few responses.

p.s. Just noticed that it's your first post - a very warm welcome to the Lure Forum !!!!!! :clap:

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Welcome to the Lure Forum.

You are a Junior Member until you have made 50 posts I think it is.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Used mine for the first time last weekend and its lovely. Line lay is spot on, smooth as silk and very light. Filled it with PP 20lb and it never gave me any problems at all, well worth the £150. Here's some photos I took of mine.....

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

Many thanks for that and going to the trouble of uploading photos etc.

I am still curious about the drag, (not that it will have any bearing on my decision) just curious! Is it the sealed variety, with the washers etc. contained within when you unscrew it, or is it the more conventional type? On the diagrams on the Shimano website it looks like it might be the latter as it's depicted differently from the Technium (which has a sealed drag) for example.

Either way thanks again for all the info.

All the best,

W

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just had a look at the drag on mine - the washers are held in the spool with a retaining clip and the drag adjusting nut has a rubber gasket fitted to the underside of it - see the attached photo.

Really pleased with mine it's light weight and has very good line-lay. Hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Ben,

Many thanks for that and once again to all of you who have replied.

I wish I had Andrew and Ben's photography skills. Those photos are better than Shimano's own publicity shots!

All the best,

W

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
I had a looky at one in the shop, it doesnt have a two speed oscillation but it does oscillate quite quickly, as a rough guide it was about 1.2 turns of the handle for the out stoke and 1.2 for the in stroke, if you know what I mean. The drag knob does indeed have a waterproof rubber washer that will certainly help keepingthe water out. It also has a spare spool (same size), oil port for quick inner maintenance, a one piece bail arm and a sexy foam finger handle knob that I wish I had on all my reels.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I had a looky at one in the shop, it doesnt have a two speed oscillation but it does oscillate quite quickly, as a rough guide it was about 1.2 turns of the handle for the out stoke and 1.2 for the in stroke, if you know what I mean. The drag knob does indeed have a waterproof rubber washer that will certainly help keepingthe water out. It also has a spare spool (same size), oil port for quick inner maintenance, a one piece bail arm and a sexy foam finger handle knob that I wish I had on all my reels.
I bought an RCS knob for my Certate 4000 after I tried the Rarenium ****. If I could by one for my other reels too I would.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know what you mean I ordered a 4000 FI Stradic from the states. Which as you may know is a higher spec than the European version. The reel was launched in 2007 so may be due an upgrade, but it seems the business, (I still have to baptise mine!). It's only a couple of grams heavier than the Technium, but seems a much sturdier reel. Of course only time will tell.

Even though the reel is only 4000 size check out the handle, sturdy and much better for cranking. I mean compared to the tiny handles they insist on putting on their reels here. It's not a major issue but they seem more suited to coarse match reels, maybe that's because it is also their target market, or perhaps the style has transferred from the Japanese market. You guys probably know more than I do. I realise Shimano can't cater to every taste, but it would be nice if their reels were designed to accept at least a couple of different styles of handles. Even if you had to purchase them separately for a reasonable price. As you know Abu often include two handles with their multipliers for example.

Having said that the Rarenium seems a top notch reel for the price, especially if weight is the primary consideration. I guess we're just spoilt for options these days. I remember when I was a kid we lusted after a Mitchell 300 you couldn't even trust the drag on, (backwinding all the way) and people used them for nearly every application in both fresh and saltwater, bar beachcasting and saltwater boat fishing. Ah back in my day...

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts