The Lure Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Does anyone know what the difference is between a Shimano Rarenium Ci4 FA 3000 and a Ci4 SFA 3000? is there a difference?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ah, ok, only i'm following a couple on e-bay and 1 says it's an FA and the other says it's a SFA

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Excuse my ignorance but what difference does a shallow spool make? Is it a case of the shallow spool being able to hold enough line for lure fishing so why go for a 'deep' spool?

I've just bought A Rarenium 4000 partly because it had a deep spool, just in case I wanted to put mono on it for bait fishing, making it a bit more multi purpose.......

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Excuse my ignorance but what difference does a shallow spool make? Is it a case of the shallow spool being able to hold enough line for lure fishing so why go for a 'deep' spool?

I've just bought A Rarenium 4000 partly because it had a deep spool, just in case I wanted to put mono on it for bait fishing, making it a bit more multi purpose.......
In the case of a deep spool, if you were going to use it purely for lure fishing then you would end up needing to put backing onto the reel in order to get a decent spool-fill.

If, as in your case, you want to use mono on it, then the deep spool is fine. I have a 4000 Rarenium, and have backing on it - it's no big deal really, but in an 'ideal world', as i dont intend to use it for mono, it would be a shallow spool in order to negate the need for backing.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Thanks Simon, so I was thinking along the right lines.I guess then that if you filled a 4000 spool up either totally with braid or with only a small amount of backing then you'd be putting on far more braid than you'd ever need for lure fishing......

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Thanks Simon, so I was thinking along the right lines.I guess then that if you filled a 4000 spool up either totally with braid or with only a small amount of backing then you'd be putting on far more braid than you'd ever need for lure fishing......
Depends Toby. If you buy a 300m spool of braid it will last one season or two then you turn the braid around. As 300m can be a more economic buy than 150m you could be quids in.

The only problem may be that braid design and availability is improving all the time and by next year you might want something new!

It's more down to personal choice? I wouldn't say there is a right or a wrong way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts