The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I go on with this thread let me say that I have owned loads of Shimano gear down the years and have had no trouble up to now. In fact, I rated it highly.

In March I bought a Shimano 5000 FB reel- not the most expensive out there, but not exactly cheap either. Good write ups from Henry Gilbey etc etc

Soon after I started using it I had problems with the bale arm coming over during casting, with the obvious disastrous consequences- expensive. Ths would only happen very occasionally, but doesn`t do much for your confidence with lures at £20 a piece.

Anyway, I telephoned Shimano service in Wales this moring to see if they could offer me any advice. I could not believe what they told me.

They said that they were actually aware of a problem with their `newer` range of reels. These newer reels were, quote, `set up a little too refined for distance casting with lures`,and, `made a little too well if you like`, ( all in a Welsh accent).

I asked them what I could do about the problem and thay said - wait for it- I SHOULD TAKE THE REEL APART, and, a) bend a certain spring to give more tension to the bale arm- not to much though cause it would affect the action, b) add some thick grease to slow it down, c) remove a fibre washer somewhere.

Natuarally I said that this was not the answer and I was not prepared to strip and mess with a new reel. They could not help any further.

I subsequently telephoned Andy at Veals, the retailer where I bought the reel, and asked him to telephone Shimano, perhaps they would have more clout.

Shimano simply told him to tell me to return the reel to them and they would ` take a look at it for me.` For this read a) bend a spring, b) add some grease..................................

Naturally I rejected this option and have now asked Veals to replace the reel with something else to a similar value that simply works properly. They have agreed to do this in principle but I will have to pay for the new reel and then they will refund me the cost of the Shimano when I return it. Let`s hope they are as good as their word. I will let you know the outcome.

Anyway, thats my story if you are thinking of buying a new Simano reel, take from it what you want and I hope it helps someone.

Anyone got any advice on a replacement reel?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I know it's still Shimano, but a lot of people are raving about the Rareniumj in 3000 or 4000 size....

Reactions: Dave Perkins

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Dave this problem is not new !!!! the 4000 twin powers ( top end models ) and a couple of others have the same Glitche , the reels are too finely tuned IMO , i stopped the bail problem by
putting on a twin handle , as the large single handle seemed to just unbalance the reel when casting .. If that makes any sence to you .

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
...putting on a twin handle , as the large single handle seemed to just unbalance the reel when casting .. If that makes any scence to you .

Thats what I was on about on the other thread Bob. On lightly tuned, smooth reels the large handle can give itself a bit of a push forward under its own weight and momentum - making it dodgy. I never had a rpoblem with double handle Stradics.

Hopefully Veals will sort it Dave. I prefer Daiwa all the way these days really. Prefer the American versions though. If you don't put the extra in and go Rarenium, I'd be tempted to look at some of the Cormoran reels.

Reactions: Dave Perkins

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
The only Shimano I have had an issue with is the Super GTM-RB. I have a Fireblood and a Stella that I have had no such trouble with. Slightly disconcerting to be told that the reel in question was not supposed to be cast hard though. Shimano in Wales are supposed to be very good, so I am sure they will try their best to fix the problem if you send the reel on to them. I assume the reel you refer to is a Technium? I haven't fished much with one myself, though two guys I know have the same reel and I haven't heard either of them mention the bail arm as an issue.

Definately something to get sorted, I can take losing a lure through a snag, but crack-offs must be horrible.

For alternatives, there are plenty of decent 3000 through 5000 size reels that are more than up to the job, much more choice than there was previously. Daiwa and Cormoran are two that spring to mind (I have a Daiwa Exceller still going strong after 2-3 years).

Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've never had that problem with any Shimano reel (on Stellas now but previously used and abused Symetres, Siennas and the original Aeros way back in the very early 90s)

good luck with the search let us know what you get

Nick

·
Registered
498 Posts
i had the same prob with my twinpower ra, lost couple of plugs, what i do now is make sure the bail arm is opened to its lowest point i.e furthest away from the rod and haven't had any probs since like bob said it must be a balance thingy

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Can I have a thank you please Dave? So was the bail arm flying over in the cast? If so then like Bob says use a double handle, or, make sure the handle is in the backwards position before you cast it. I have never really had this problem but have seen it happen, I think maybe some reels are just a little more sensetive than others.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I already looked for a custom handle for the twinpower (one with a counterweight as I dont like double handles) but didnt find anything really suitable - I usually use my Stella which is fine & if I do use the TP I wedge a finger behind the spool to stop unintentional trips. I know quite a few people have the same issue with the TP (shame as its a nice reel)

Im sticking to Stellas ;)

Reactions: Carl B

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you ****! Yes m8 it was flicking back after the initial momentum of the cast. Tried all sorts- making sure it was back all the way, handle position everything. Maybe mine is just over sensitive and set up a bit wrong. If I had enough nerve I would take it apart, but remember doing so to one years ago and it took me 2 hours just to find the spring in the carpet, by which time I had forgotten how to put it back together!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I already looked for a custom handle for the twinpower (one with a counterweight as I dont like double handles) but didnt find anything really suitable - I usually use my Stella which is fine & if I do use the TP I wedge a finger behind the spool to stop unintentional trips. I know quite a few people have the same issue with the TP (shame as its a nice reel)

Im sticking to Stellas ;)
I have none of these bale arm tripping problems with my Twin Power FC. Maybe if I lubricated the reel a little more it would happen!
It however, has needed to go back for a service in Wales a few months back as I think a bearing or two needed replacing probably due to a saltwater drenching. I think the reel will need to go back again soon for the same reason.
I might have to upgrade to a saltwater stella or maybe a Daiwa?

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Afraid to say have lots a few plugs last year due to this happening i just put it down to me rushing a cast with the bail arm in the wrong position but looking at this mabey there is more to it than i thought but over all happy enough with the reel

·
Registered
884 Posts
have the same problem on all of my stradics from day one. now just use my wee finger to hook around the bail arm to hold it open when casting now..

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Never had a crackoff with a Shimano!

Handy tip to stop the inertia bail trips - when you open the bailarm rotate the housing until it rests on the flip over stop ... I guarantee this will prevent your crackoffs!

The larger Stella's don't have the trip and are manual close only - you can possibly remove the trip from the smaller reels?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Alex, have had a lot of feedback since raising this issue and done a lot of research on the net. Much more widespread than I imagined with a lot of the more `finely tuned` or `smoother` reels made now.

Think it has become more acute for lure anglers as there is so much cash on the end of the line on each chuck. 1 failure in a session makes it a potentially expensive trip before negotiating the rocks as well.

Just changed my reel for a Daiwa, and yes you can remove the trip on this model too by simply removing the z shaped lever (as in the Shimano), making it manual close only.

I shall be doing just this to prevent any potential accidents, as I always manual close anyway.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 40 Posts