The Lure Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As above really -

I see a lot of retailers have Techniums on offer at a very reduced rate from up near £180 down to £115 ish.

I see the same size Stradic for about £150 sometimes reduced from £160 or so.

The Stradic looks the better reel (extra bearing) - why is the rrp of the Technium always more than the Stradic but it's always on offer for much less?

also - the retrieve rate is lower on the Technium and it has a single handle. A guy at Veals said the technium is better for Bass spinning as the retrieve rate is lower and the handle is longerthus giving you more winding power.

The Stradic felt better/ smoother with the double handle.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Richb (looking for a 4000 size reel for an impending Teklon Spin 802....)

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Rich, i know that you've asked a very specific question about a choice between 2 reels. I also know that it's a pain in the arse when people throw additional variables into the pot . . . . . having said all of that - have you also considered the Rarenium 4000 ? You'll pick them up for around the £150 mark, and my new Rarenium knocks-spots off my Technium. I hate my Stradic, but it's the rear drag version, and i'm pretty sure that you are talking about the front drag model.

The Rarenium is the lightest of the bunch, and is a really really really nice little reel.

Anyway, sorry for being a pain in the arse, but it's always worth considering these things before you purchase.

Si.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have used front drag stradics for many years and always been happy with them. I like the 4000MgFA and have used two of these for the last four seasons and they suit me fine. I always stick them under the tap in the yard after a session and lubricate regularly. One tip that I will offer is to pack the roller bearing on the pick up arm with reel lube or similar whilst the reel is new and you can get the screw out without twisting the head off. This deals with the problem that often develops of the reel being noisy when cranking a sub-suface bait.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Richard

I have 4000fi stradic. Its done 3 seasons with the only problem being due to my overenthusiasm when seeking to service it when I couldn't put the bail mechanism properly back together (D'oh!!). I have not tried a technum but the slower retrieve of the technum has appeal to me, fast retrieve rates are not as smart as they seem IMO, as I feel a slower retrieve rate that alows a lure to be worked arround your "normal" retrieve rate which natches your own comfortable winding speed is preferable (fishing slower reels using the faster retrieve rate reels can be likened to trying to walk with someone who walks too slowly and is to do without getting too technical is in part with muscle firing patterns). I personally dont get on with double handled reels. I would not go near a rear drag reels again as the rear drag shimanos I have had in years past have lasted at best 2 years with the rear drag being the weakest link.

Matt

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good info so far... thanks.

i was wondering why the technium is always discounted so much and the stradic isn't -

i'll also look at the rarenium.

whatever it'll be, it'll be front drag.

I have had a fiddle with both the technium and the stradic in the shop and thought the stradic was smoother and better balanced when winding.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I've got a feeling them bumped the RRP on the Technium up a little while ago Rich. They always used to sell for about £90 - £100 while the RRP was about £135. Now the prices are just going up and up. Most places still charge reasonable prices and you'll still get one for just over £100 if you look around, but others will charge upwards of £150 to go along with the hike in RRP. Its not so much that it's being discounted heavily these days, its just that the tackle retailers are being good and keeping the prices down to what they should be. Either that, or there may be a lot of stock around that they ordered before the price increarse - which would enable them to carry on selling cheap?

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I have used the Stradics for several years now but in the 5000 size (slightly larger spool than the 4000).
They are totally brilliant and have a reputation world wide as a saltwater plugging reel.

·
Registered
687 Posts
hi rich,i was in your shoes only 2 weeks ago ! i eventually bought the technium after many nights searching for reviews. what swayed it for me was the single handle i think.
i didnt like the feel of the twin handle.also like others have pointed out,the slower retrieve on the technium.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Spoilt for choice eh?

**** will tell you that the Stradic rate of retrieve is fast and he's right of course. So reel slower. I have the old 4000 and its a reliable workhorse. Also just got a Rarenium 3000 which is light as a feather and nice and smooth. My ULF reel is a cheapo Cormoran 2500, 14 months old and its still great. Sings like a bird and I love it.

I reckon its hard to go wrong with a modern mainstream reel. My advice would be get a reel with the least play in the handle as possible when the anti-reverse is engaged, a good bail arm and roller and a spare spool. Otherwise ignore my ramblings as I'm suitably UNqualified as I don't feel the need to get a Stella or a Von Stool.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
My views to confuse you more;

Stradic- If this reel was anywhere from 4.7:1 to 5.2:1 retrieve it would be the best reel that Shimano would be selling for our SW lure fishing.

Technium- Awesome reel for the money, only poopoo thing to say about it is the bail arm, it can catch your braid and wear a groove that breaks your line, apart from that its fantastic.

Saragosa- Work horse of a reel, its rarely spoken about but its pretty bulletproof and a good waterproof drag.

Rareniums- Out of this world good for the money, should be £250+ if not alot more. Time will tell how they stand up to what we do but if they become popular expect a price increase next year.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I use both the 4000FI Stradic and the 4000F Saragosa myself, the Stradic is a great little reel and has held up well for me but as **** pointed out the retrieve is a little quick side, still a great reel for the money though. I don't have the Saragosa long but its certainly is a workhorse of a reel alright, slightly larger and heavier than the Stradic and with a slightly slower retrieve. There's no anti-reverse switch on the Saragosa either, so one less thing to go wrong and one less place for water to get in.

I must admit that I like the look of those Rareniums though.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
the reels to go on a grauvell teklon sp 802

thanks for the replies.... esp ***** very useful sum up.

i was initially set on a 4000 stradic - i thought they felt/ looked a little a little better built than the technium when handling them in the shops. now having seen ***** post and had a wider loook i'm sort of swayed by a rarenium.... they can be had for about the same price as the equivalent stradic (they never seem to be discounted much - a good sign i thought) having felt how light my new rod is it feels like it needs a lighter reel having tried it with my old exage 3000 rear drag...

·
Registered
647 Posts
have just received my rarenium today from veals...4000
its super light and super smooth...cant wait to try it now..feels smother than the techniums ive handled

·
Registered
357 Posts
Depending on the rod you use.

Shimano Rearnium 3000 -- great value for money.
Shimano Twinpower 4000.

If you spend a lot of time wading or skishing you need a Van Staal 100 bailless.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Rich,
I have had a stradic in the past and could not get on with the double handle but that might just be me being ham fisted. I now have a Technium which I love as a quality smooth spinning reel and it never fails to impress.
Richard

1 - 19 of 19 Posts