The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Some more. Can only do 5 pics per post...

OK, Why do I struggle to get pics where I want?? Anyway...

Had this last night on a test run with the Salty Shot. What amazing bite detection when I finally had a bite. This one took a Sagat in Green/Pearl colour on a 3.5g slider head.

there was a large shoal of large beaks round the light but there were not interested in anything I put in front of them. No reaction at all. Shame as that would have been nice!!

The reel to go on the rod arrived today Shimano Sedona 1000 FD. Apparently holds 110 yards of 6lb mono. Plenty when it's 10lb braid instead.

Some Pafex Satea, supposed to be a teaser lure rather than a "normal" lure but I reckon they will work just fone on the 2g jigheads with size 4 and 6 hooks I got from AGM the other day.

There are more like it size wise??. Pafex Saron

So let's get fishing!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Nice one Andy (bottom 3 pics are not showing for me...). I loved how sensitive the tip was on mine last night. Could feel the jolt as 7g head hit the deck in 20 odd ft of water with 8lb braid on the reel. Your reel seat looks cooler than mine though!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Looks nice Andy and well done for christening it first time out! That first post is like a little striptease...
My gear should be here by the end of the week, so we'll see what i's like!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Great.

Mark had his Salty Shot out last night with his Major Craft.
He only went home with 1 rod cause I'm borrowing one to play with.

Both rods were very nice, light and super responsive.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Mark, yes the translation is a bit dubious. If I told my wife I was on the internet looking at a "Salty Shot" she'd be rather disappointed in me I think! Sounds like a decent bit of kit though. Which model did you go for Mark - the 2-10g model?

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I opted for the 700L, which is rated 3-14g. I would have liked to have gone even a bit lighter, but I wanted to still keep the bit of length (personal thing). Cannot get over how sensitive the whole set up feels with the light braid etc. Only thing was, the quick succession of fish taken at the end of last nights session were on the tiny (about an inch!!!) SP's, carolina rigged with a swan shot. Hmmmm

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Sounds lovely and I can't wait to have a go. Haven't got any lures less than an inch and a half though. Those ones Keith was using are weany! Not sure I understand Carolina rig. Only just got to grips with Texas and Wacky! It all sounds vaguely smutty!

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
See here

Quite simple concept, I agree though, the names can get confusing. I have asked Keith to put together a post on the different types of jigheads, along with their applications. Obviously there's a lot to it, but it'll help me for one. I would imagine he'd cover Carolina rigging as well, as that is one of the successful methods they have used on these mini sp bumbles.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Tim,

Once you have threaded your SP to the hoo-- use a Rapala Knot (youtube) you could then attach split shot (only ever attach split shot by a pinch from the fingures -- if it does not move on the line with slight presure it is to tight-- never use pliers) of the desired weight at varying distances up your fluro leader, as this seems to work well with very light SPs up to 5g.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Mark, have you got a MajorCraft Zaltz LRF rod? If so, what do you think of it? If not who has the MajorCraft one? and which one?

Looking for a LRF rod myself and the Zaltz is a possibility so curious to know what people's impressions are. I am hoping to get something in Nantes but not sure my patience will last that long!

Has anybody used litle metal jigs yet?I have some LRF ones that are 3g but not used them yet. Did anyone realise you can now get assist hooks for LRF jigs???? It just gets weirder.....

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Tim,

Once you have threaded your SP to the hoo-- use a Rapala Knot (youtube) you could then attach split shot (only ever attach split shot by a pinch from the fingures -- if it does not move on the line with slight presure it is to tight-- never use pliers) of the desired weight at varying distances up your fluro leader, as this seems to work well with very light SPs up to 5g.
Cheers, Chris - I've got lots to learn clearly! I will have to get some shot now as well!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Sorry Tim,

Should have mentioned this in my last post. If you have access to Storm or Gulp products at your local tackle shop you can use scaples to cut Sps to the sizes you need. Gulp white ragworm is good if you want to fish for Pollack under lights. remember you can cut it lengthways as well (this applies to other SPs)

Kiddy do some white mini sidewinders -- the smallest is 2'', but the hook is to big -- so you can change the hook or cut it in half. Carp hooks are good for this as they are wide gape and short shank -- they are also cheap -- sizes 6,8,10,12 & 14.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Hi Mike. I have the Shimano Salty Shot in the slightly heavier spec than Andy, and I have the Major Craft Saltic ST822L

I like the look of the Zaltz one, and I think somebody is considering ordering one quite soon, especially after seeing the quality of the MC rod I just received.

Can you tell I have just learned how to put links into words...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Sorry Tim,

Should have mentioned this in my last post. If you have access to Storm or Gulp products at your local tackle shop you can use scaples to cut Sps to the sizes you need. Gulp white ragworm is good if you want to fish for Pollack under lights. remember you can cut it lengthways as well (this applies to other SPs)

Kiddy do some white mini sidewinders -- the smallest is 2'', but the hook is to big -- so you can change the hook or cut it in half. Carp hooks are good for this as they are wide gape and short shank -- they are also cheap -- sizes 6,8,10,12 & 14.
Chris, yes I am able to get the storm & gulp stuff locally so will get some imitation ragworm. How small to go with hooks though? Why do you recommend the short shank? Surely harder to unhook if they inhale the lure? As I said - lots of this is new to me!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
See here
I would imagine he'd cover Carolina rigging as well, as that is one of the successful methods they have used on these mini sp bumbles.
Good link Mark. Yes, we will cover basic Carolina stuff. There is the standard way and the midwater way like last night. Cantilevering the sp around the pivot point (split shot).

Looking for a LRF rod myself and the Zaltz is a possibility so curious to know what people's impressions are. I am hoping to get something in Nantes but not sure my patience will last that long!

Has anybody used litle metal jigs yet?I have some LRF ones that are 3g but not used them yet. Did anyone realise you can now get assist hooks for LRF jigs???? It just gets weirder.....
Me and Kev are getting solid tipped Zaltz LRF rods.

No, not used metal jigs but have some tiny metal vibration lures ready to go..

Sorry Tim,

Carp hooks are good for this as they are wide gape and short shank -- they are also cheap -- sizes 6,8,10,12 & 14.
Yes, quite right Chris. If you don't have it, tune one you do have. cut em, trim em, split tails, make anything work within the realms of your imagination. Never give up because, as has been seen so many times, we could have walked away fishless but, with work, we've sussed em in the end. You will of course suffer the inevitable blanks but I will never walk away without trying everything in the book. Always assume fish are present.

Hi Mike. I have the Shimano Salty Shot in the slightly heavier spec than Andy, and I have the Major Craft Saltic ST822L

I like the look of the Zaltz one, and I think somebody is considering ordering one quite soon, especially after seeing the quality of the MC rod I just received.

Can you tell I have just learned how to put links into words...
I reckon we'll be getting the 7' 3" solid tip or perhaps the 7' 6".
Solid tipped rod is real fast, should fire those smaller split shot carolina rigs better when the wind ain't favourable.

Chris, yes I am able to get the storm & gulp stuff locally so will get some imitation ragworm. How small to go with hooks though? Why do you recommend the short shank? Surely harder to unhook if they inhale the lure? As I said - lots of this is new to me!
I'm using hooks size 2 through 16.

Eyed and Spade. Spade is better for not splitting the heads of the small sp's.
Carry a disgorger and, or long forceps. Not many get deep hooked though but it can happen.
1 reason to use light PE over light mono.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts