The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
The title of the catch report comes from a txt that Greg sent me on the way home this evening - it kinda sums up the humour of the day nicely :D.

I left the house at 'Nonsense O'Clock' this morning, and barrelled down through the Valleys to my first stop, which was Marc Westwood. Once safely on-board, we then bombed down West to arrive at the first mark bang-on schedule. We were greeted there by Gwyn, who was already tackling-up. Within about 2 minutes, Greg joined us :D. We got kitted-up, and were just noisy enough to wake a few of the people in camper vans ;).

It was a beautiful misty half-light as we scrambled our way over the reef to get our lures in the water. Marc then made the basic error of pottering around as we reached the mark. I forged ahead, waded waist deep through a gulley, climbed a rock, and then spotted the target for my first cast. I flipped out the Feed Shallow (Sardine, with Red Belly), cranked the handle about 4 times . . . then . . WHAM . . . "FISH ON" !!!! First cast, and i'm bent into a feisty Shirley that had some awesome ground to use to it's advantage. It gave me a tremendous scrap, and at one point ran straight back at me, causing me to have to wind the reel at full-tilt to ensure i stayed in contact.

Marc in the meantime, having not yet got a lure into the water, was wading his way across the gulley to get to me. For some inexplicable reason, he chose this moment to have a little swim ;). Now he rekoned it didnt go up & over his waders . . but i think that Gwyn may have an action shot, and from his vantage point, Greg described it as being 'up to his armpits' :D. Either way, he was "wetter-than-an-otters-back-pocket", but i was very grateful for him coming over to assist in the very tricky landing of my Shirley. During the course of the landing, somehow my leader snapped (hence the lure in the mouth below), but the fish was mine . . . . .

She weighed-in at 3.7lbs, and was safely released :D.

However, as i was releasing her, i looked across at Greg, to see his rod bent into a Shirley. I shouted to ask him if he thought it was a good'un, but then i looked at his Rod Bar, saw the enormous bend in it, and decided it was a silly question :shock:.

Marc ran off to get his rod, and i waded across to help Greg, who was getting a proper-scrap from a feisty-spikey !! Greg guided her to me, and we got her on the Boga . . . . .

A new pb for Greg at 5lb 10oz. This Shirley had 'smashed' Greg's lure on about his 5th cast, and Marc 'still' didnt have a lure in the water :shock:.

Greg safely released her to fight another day . . .

Within another 10mins, we looked across the reef to see Gwyn landing a Shirley. It looked a very respectable Bass of around 2lb's from where we were, but he modestly called it as a Schoolie, and returned it before i got over there for a photo.

Gwyn in action . . .

Me, on 'my rock' ;) . . . . .

We fished-on, all the time watching a spectacular display about 300yds out, as Gannets & Terns were dive-bombing a huge shoal of something (this display continued all day). We worked up & down the reefs, gulleys, troughs, and beach, casting at anything that looked likely. Gwyn then left us to head back to the family for breakfast, and his position was taken within an hour by Ben. We had another hour or so on the reef, and i managed to spook a 5lb'er in the shallows - Damn ! I would have loved to have had a cast at her ! Marc also had a follow from a big-girl, but i'll let him tell that tale.

Out next move was to head 5 mins up the coast to do a little Croc Wrestling :D. Surface lures were the order of the day, and for both Marc & Greg, this was their first Croc Wrestling expedition. The lake was looking stunning - check this out . . . . :eek:

Greg didnt waste any time, and continued the 1st-cast theme of the day, by getting nailed on a Gunfish on his very first cast ! The Croc took him into the lillies, and he had a fabulous scrap on his hands, as he bullied the Croc through the heavy cover. Ben has the pic, and hopefully he'll upload that later with his account of the day.

Well that first fish seemed to kick things off, as we then started getting hits on the surface at just about every peg !! :mrgreen: I'll let Marc tell the tale of his first Croc, but suffice to say that he had a titanic battle to get her to shore ! While we were waiting for Marc to eventually get his first Croc to the shore on his 7' Whacker, Ben had a little flip along the fringe. The first Croc missed the lure, but the 2nd one didnt - it then shot-off under the lillies in a really powerful quick run that had us astounded !! Awesome ! After some aerial acrobatics, we got her landed & returned.

Marc's first Croc . . .

I went on to nail 3 Crocs off the top, and the full Bumbling Team landed Crocs !! Brilliant !! :D The Bumbling spirit was particularly strong, as everyone helped each other out, landing fish, sharing pegs, and taking it in turns to cast at likely looking spots. Again, we all have tales to tell about the session, and i'll leave the guys recount those.

Marc though did score big on the Z-Claw when after a couple of casts to get the lure 'exactly' where he wanted it, it got NAILED BIG TIME, by this Croc . . . .

So, after a short session there, and 9 Crocs landed, and countless other hits, takes, and general aggression from some feisty Crocs, we decided to head back to the coast. By now though, the wind had picked-up, and made things decidedly spectacular, but uncomfortable on our chosen mark . . . .

So after a short while, we headed back to the car park for a cup of Tea, an Ice Cream (Raspberry Ripple . . YUM :p), and some Welsh Cakes :D. Following a Bumbling Committee Meeting, we decided that we'd had a belter, and that the best course of action was to head home, wash our gear, get a bit of sleep, and do it all again in the morning !!!

I cant bloody wait :D

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Great report Si... Nice to see Greg get his PB well done mate..and the photo's are just something else.

Well done all....

·
Registered
843 Posts
Simon superb report as normal with lots of multimedia and plenty of time and effort in providing a great read, thought I would add some more words. The day from me!!

3:07 am Simon arrives to drive us both west into the unknown

Arrived at our first mark to meet Greg and Gwyn, walked down to the water and need to sort myself out. BANG Simon gets hit first cast. Fishing courtesy I wade over to help him land the fish as conditions were difficult. End up slipping up to my armpits in water. The surf was hitting me hard stopping me getting back to my feet. Simon is still playing the fish. After what seemed an age I manage to help him land the fish and take some pics before it’s returned lovely hard fighting Bass. I now need to get back up the reef, collect my tackle and start to fish. Then Greg is in. I still have not started fishing!

Lesson 1. Have a pee before reaching the mark
Lesson 2. Get fishing straight away.
Lesson 3, 4:30am is not the time to go for an early morning swim

So now Greg is landing his fish after a good fight, I finally start fishing. Look over to see a beauty of a fish being landed with Simon acting as assistant. New Pb for Greg. Superb. We have about an hour of fishing with no further fish until I see Gwyn is into a fish. I thought it was a 2lb fish Gwyn says smaller. Maybe being modest.

We need to move as the reef is running out of water on the ebb; my confidence is low seeing fish and still blanking. Cursing myself for spending the first five minutes flapping like a beached whale while everyone was catching.

We moved reef for the rest of the ebb then with no more action back to the first reef as it starts to flood. I find a nice outcrop, bringing my feed shallow back, as I lift it out there was a big splash!! Looking into the splash a big silver wide bodied Bass slowly swims away into deeper water. I was 6 inch from a Pb!

Lesson 4. Don’t pull the lure out until the last minute, we never pull the fly out in fly fishing so why did I do it with a lure!?!

Gwyn heads off after a successful morning and Ben joins us.

We fish on, with lunch and Pike calling decide to dash (and I mean dash) to find some petrol for Greg. Apparently when he is not drinking ale upside down he runs on unleaded.

So it’s Pike time, arrive to see the lakes for the first time what wonderful scenery, we decide to spread out, I have a few casts when a fish nails the z-claw. Hits it so hard the fish leapt clear of the water. At last FISH ON!!
After its leap the fish finds a weed bed!

Lesson 5 Tighten clutch when fishing for Pike close to a weed bed.

After that school boy error and with the help of the bumble team we manage to land my first Pike. Delighted confidence returns.
As I was trying to get the Pike out of the weed Ben gets smashed by a pike at close range. They are feeding hard.
I missed Greg’s Pike but did hear he had second thoughts about putting his hand near those teeth.

Now we are all getting into the fish, Simon has a Pike while I get hit again but it quickly gets off. Ben catches another then Simon has his second.

Greg is getting more follows.

We start to move back over the same pegs. Greg tells me how he was nailed at a peg next to a lily bed. Now focused and with excitement building I catch the lily’s, as I release the Z-claw into open water SMASH a good fish hits the lure but escapes. Five casts later fish on. Better tussle this time and with the help of Ben we land the fish for a quick pic before it’s returned. Ben will add pic later

We work our way back when in true bumble fashion Simon invites me to try a few casts in his swim. We have a few casts each when the Z-claw drops next to a very fishy looking weed bed. Few twitches and the lure is hit hard. The fish heads towards me before it realises it’s hooked and decides on some jumping. A nice little tussle and fish three is banked. Another pic and its back to fight another day.

I am now delighted, first sesh at the pike and I am hooked!!!

Simon has a few casts with a special lure now called the sausage, maybe never to be used again as the sausage failed to tempt the crocs with its delicate dance

We decide to head back to fish the flood; a short two hour session in brackish water had allowed us all to hit some Pike. Cracking little session. Just what was needed after my early morning swim.
We returned to the reef to find the wind blowing at hooligan force. We had a few chucks but realised it was not fun, fun being the reason we go fishing.

Day over we return to the car, battle weary but with smiles all round.
A superb day in great company, today is what bumbles are all about, great company, helping each other and making sure we all catch fish with plenty of laughs.

I have to admit after another trip without hitting Bass last weekend I was starting to have doubts and planning to bait fish to get some fish under my belt. The reason I picked up my lures again this week?

This forum and all who sail in her.

I wish all bumblers the best of luck tomorrow

Tight lines all

:D

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Top stuff Marc..........

Any truth to the rumour that you've had water wings fitted to you waders.....:muttley::muttley:

·
Registered
659 Posts
SEE, SEE, SEE!!! i knew your report would make me extremely jealous,, you frikkin barsteward you ;)... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

but seriously guys, that was an awesome days dangling... just hope i can open my shirley account before too long, otherwise i'm gonna buy a carp rod....:eek: :eek: :eek:..

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Well done boys - great day out. Told you there were some nice bass down there! Also good to see the pike enjoyed their spring holidays and are now back in action.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Top stuff Marc..........

Any truth to the rumour that you've had water wings fitted to you waders.....:muttley::muttley:
Al i can say is thankfully I have straps on my waders that act as a belt. They stopped me getting a wader full today. Its also difficult doing backstroke into a heavy surf

·
Registered
537 Posts
Excellent reports gents, had great couple of hours with you gents. The 3 different facial expressions must have been priceless, Si hittting shirley 1st cast, Greg getting his PB and marc W for wondering 'where the duck is the bottom of the gulley as me didn;t bring me bathers with me :) :)

For the record mine was about the 1lb mark but hey still a shirley :) Great days fishing boys :)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Marc - I've been knocked over by the surf on that mark before. The surf is very strong down there and it's often unfishable - glad you were able to get on there this morning though. I've yet to catch a bass there but I've moved a few good 'uns. It's on my hitlist for this season for sure!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Could have been worse Marc...............You could have been doing an impression of Nathan in his speedo's...........

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Bloody awesome guys,getting up at silly oclock has payed off.Greg ,i hope youve had a few frothy ones after that bar of silver.Welldone si on the report and the ninja shirley and marc for the crocs and getting the veg wet...top report...and once again thanks daz.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Well Si the usual brilliant report with pics and vids, well done all, Greg with his PB and Marc with his first crocs. If this report doesn't inspire interest for the next Welsh bumble, nothing will, 30 odd anglers last time, should be at least 50 next time :wink: I will be with you all tomorrow so bring it on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Brilliant report lads, fantastic fishing and great media. A dawn session this time of year simply stirs the soul, the day it does not, its time to take up golf:mrgreen:
Tightlines for the rest of the season
Bob:mrgreen:

·
Registered
500 Posts
what a great day, good fishing, weather and company/banter! cheers lads. nice to meet marc and greg for the first time today aswell! and although i didnt spend much time at fresh west, i did get to see how much potential it has, looks sooooo bassy. the waves are powerfull there tho! nearly got floored (or sea bedded?) by two waves in a row on our return after the crocs...

anyway, the pics

greg playing a croc

Si doing his best steve irwin impression...

Si stepping in to show gregs fish, greg just thought si should take the glory, or something... nothing to do with the teeth involved :D

Si with one of todays crocs

and marc with a pike, well done butt

looking forward to fishing tomorrow, i wont have to dash off to work this time so can fish till i drop :)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts