Shooting Heads on single handed rod setups | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Shooting Heads on single handed rod setups

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fly Corner' started by {name}, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Banned

Has anyone had any experience of using a shooting head on a single handed rod set up?. It's my intention to get the fly rods out a bit more this year as they were neglected last year, which led to me reading a couple of online articles on the subject, one of which was the option of using a shooting head on a single handed rod. The advantage of loading the rod with less false casts, and therefore less chance of spooking fish in shallow water is worth spending a bit of R&D time on. It seems there are some different options to consider, such as cutting down a traditional spey cast shooting head and attaching to a running line then backing or maybe cutting a double taper fly line in the middle creating 2 shooting heads. In each case choosing a fly line/shooting head a couple of wts over the rod rating.
    Also there are different options you can consider instead of using a traditional running line, such as dacron, braid, mono or floro etc etc.
    If I'm starting to lose you by now, then you get my drift. Options and too many. I'm definitely going to give this a go, but if someone has done it and got the t-shirt, then you could save me a lot of knot tying at the very least.
    Thanks.

• Creative Creative x 1
  2. Pike

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Sea Trout 2016 Bass Challenge Winner

I messed around for a while Mark.

I gave up. Distance is very good, but you need to be careful with running line as it can be prone to tangles. I would say if you are wanting to go down that route you may be better buying an airflo 40 plus line. They do an expert and an extreme version. One has a slightly longer head than the other ( can never remember which way round!).

The running line is still thin and it is essentially a manufactured shooting head but with the advantage of no lumpy join and less tangles. They do them in various densities - floater , intermediate , fast sink etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Guest

Rio outbound wold be a better option , an extreme version of a wf . Another alternative is a Rio ssvt but 3 line sizes lower than the rid rating I.e .a 5# on a single handed 8# as they are spey rated , they cast really well and have inter changeable tips ,f,I,3and 8 .matched with a monic running line about the best you can get . Even better if you permanently join running line to ssvt .

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Banned

Yes that's one of them. Thanks for that as I hadn't bookmarked it and couldn't remember on what site that article was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. Banned

I'll have a look Kevin. I may go down the cheap and sometimes cheerful eBay route for fly lines or shooting heads that will be chopped about, but should I go for a non diy then I'll look at that one.

7. Guest

SA also do some good wf lines , I use a MED saltwater quite often but quite a long head so best avoided if your not comfortable with long length heads .

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pike

• Like Like x 1
  9. Banned

Yes, thanks Graham. The idea being to fish with a heavier than normal short head. Power and distance being the objective rather than fly presentation.

10. Banned

Thanks Danny. I've got the Sportfish, Glasgow Angling and Snowbee catalogues in front of me, and it seems there are a few straight off the shelf options and I think I'll go down that route. I didn't realise to be honest. Getting rid of the running line to SH knot is worth paying out for. Thanks guys. I'll report back when I'm up and casting but you might it won't be for a while yet unfortunately.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wrasse

I got one of those a few years back. The Coastal, that is. I think it's the best fly line I have ever used in the salt. No memory and casts like a dream. Also, the slow intermediate really is a s-l-o-o-o-w sinker. Any other intermediate I have used sinks like a brick in comparison. Fantastic line.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bass

Check out Barrio lines Mark.......I have a couple for the sewin rod and they are a dream to cast, very good price too!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sea Trout

Mark

You seem to have too much time on your hands lately I can't think why.

When I used to trout fish the large resovoirs some years ago I used a hi speed hi d shooting head with a hollow braided backing.

Did get a few tangles but not as many as I would if I had used mono backing

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Mackerel

I'm another one who uses the Rio Outbound Short lines - essentially a short, heavy shooting head with a long running line already attached. I use them on all my saltwater set-ups in the UK (6wt for mullet and 8wt for bass etc, cold-water version), and on the mid-weight tropical stuff too (9wt for larger bonefish, snapper, juvy tarpon etc - the tropical warm-water version). They load the rod extremely fast and keep the cast manageable, plus have the good turnover. Making the leader a little longer mitigates the risk any spooking by using a heavier, shorter head. The downside is the running line is thin and can be prone to tangle if you're not using good line management, and it's also quite rough, so a stripping guard/glove is essential for a long day if stripping line back through your fingers. Not the cheapest, but I keep an eye out on the forums and pick them up cheap, second-hand.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Banned

Well I'd almost gone for the Rio SSVT and thought I'd spotted an online 'bargain' at a Fishers in Edinburgh at £89.99 then looked a bit closer and they didn't have a 5 or 6wt, which brought me back here to look at the other recommendations and Joe's input, which looking at the profile of the line and Joe's description looked spot on, then I noticed the profile of the line being very close to the Barrio SLX series, which took me back there, and at £36 (Free P&P) I couldn't resist, plus I'm living up to my 'as tight as a nuns......' reputation. No, if I'm completely honest I'd read about Barrio fly lines in the past and had never read a single bad review, plus the customer reviews on the website were all spot on. Thanks for your help, and maybe, just maybe I'll put a decent fly caught Bass catch report on here this year.

16. Banned

I'd forgotten all about these and have probably got them bookmarked somewhere. For a small independent company there prices are very good. It's normally the other way round when comparing to the big boys. Anyway, thanks Simon. I'll be the owner of a Barrio fly line very soon.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Pike

I've used Barrio lines for all my freshwater flyfishing for a number of years now and I would highly recommend them too. Customer service is also second to none.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Banned

Wow, super fast. Clicked the buy button at about 3pm yesterday and it's arrived in this mornings post with a personally signed note from the proprietor. Just a pity my hip isn't quite up to a cast or 2 yet, but something to look forward to.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Banned

[​IMG]

essay writing service https://essayerudite.com

100 essay example for college
    essay on my neighbourhood in spanish class 12
    essay on water pollution in hindi in 100 words day
    how to write law paper in examples wikihow
    100 college essay editor jobs london
    100 essay ideas personal success
    100 college essay draft prospects yesterday