Votes: 116 81.1%
  • 9 ft +

Votes: 27 18.9%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which rod length do personally you prefer at the moment for your hard plastic lure fishing?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I think Id pick 8'6" as my ideal middle-roader. In reality I use a 9 for bigger lures and seas, and a 7'6" for calmer days and smaller lures. I'd probably use a 10 footer on occasion though if the rod was light enough overall. I don't think there's such a small 'perfect range as there is with soft baits.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Open beach, shore fishing 9'+
Deep water rock marks 8'+

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Robert, go longer mate, got to get them lures out beyound the coloured water. 9'4" at the moment, and even thinking about 10' next year.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Amazing how many variants there are in what people feel happy using.

I started last year with a 3m shimano. Went from there to an AFAW 8ft (thank you Ben) and from there to a 6ft 6" little Maxximus. Dont knock it til you seen it and tried it! So easy for me to transport around - have to go most places by push bike. Easier and less painful than walking - incredibly light and casts way past where I have had all my hook ups so far.

I will piont out that this is where I fish, ok. I can be waist deep in water and occassionally have fish swim around me if the water's cloudy enough. Also, I like to try and "stalk" the fish. In a pervy way, of course ;) I have found definite holding places for them as the tide ebbs and I will attempt (50/50 success rate so far) to stalk to within just a few metres of where they are. having a light and versatile rod with me is just so much easier than a longer one. That said, if I feel the need to really bang those lures out there, then the Shimano will go with me to the beach or where eveer I choose for that days fishing.

·
Registered
172 Posts
So easy for me to transport around - have to go most places by push bike.
Mate, when I was in my 'teens, I cycled 20+ miles almost daily during easter and summer holidays to fish the Tay with a 3piece 15' double hander strapped to the cross bar of my bike! I couldn't have fished that river with a shorter rod effectively and couldn't have got to the river without the bike!

·
Registered
268 Posts
I gave up the car and my cigs in the hope of raising enough money to get myself and my son to Norway. Hence the push bike. The cross bar has first, my walking stick attached to it. After that, my rod.

As for cycling that kinda distance, I dont think I would have ever done it. Living on the coast all my life, I never had the need to travel to my fishing. Well, none that couldnt easily be done by row boat, back then, anyway.

Nowadays, life is all about "comfort". I could take three or four rods with me, all strapped to my crossbar or over my back. But I like to travel lite and be as comfortable as I can in my movements. Speaking of which, I could so enjoy one of those belly boats :)

·
Registered
932 Posts
8ft 6" for me too, BUT, I am definitely thinking about getting some one piece rods this year and coming years. Dunno exactly why really, but I do love the way the Japanese have 4 or 5 dedicated rods already rigged to go giving me various set ups based on the mark/lures I am intending to use so there's not too much faffing about.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts