The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opinions please:

Been offered the chance to go to live and work in Australia (Sydney) for a couple of years.
Lots of things to consider - young family, dog, grandparents, mates etc.
Looking for advice / opinions / pitfalls ??
Anybody done anything similar?

Not really fishing related but you all seem a pretty sensible bunch! :-D

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Greg, the answer is in your post, " offered the chance "

Go for it! We all chances in life but regret can be a pain later on. If it fits with the family then go for sure

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
If its do-able do it mate, as long as everything is sorted properly and you have places to live there and here when you return, dam right it will be a great experience for the whole family. Fishing for Brim on lures!!! Tailer fish, barramundi, jacks, Ozzie salmon...... you lucky sod.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Hey Greg, Congratulation on the offer buddy. If your family are keen and happy with the change then I'd say go for it. Its better to regret the things you did, then regret the things you never did. Plus its Oz man!! Enough said lol...

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Opinions please:

Been offered the chance to go to live and work in Australia (Sydney) for a couple of years.
Lots of things to consider - young family, dog, grandparents, mates etc.
Looking for advice / opinions / pitfalls ??
Anybody done anything similar?

Not really fishing related but you all seem a pretty sensible bunch! :-D
Great offer Greg,

If your immediate family are in good health and it is only for a couple of years then take the opportunity. Make sure you have a slush fund just in case you need to travel back home at short notice, it's a chance many of us would like, grab it if you can !

·
Banned
792 Posts
jep, do it. You will regret not having done it later. And flying home or letting family come for a visit isnt that expansive nowadays...

omtc
TOm

PS what kind of job is it you will... ^^

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Greg - as long as your family are okay with it, then go. A number of people I have worked with in the past have gone to Sydney and made a very good living in recruitment over there (and they weren't all that when I worked with them in the UK!). Go!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Greg,
I worked in Sydney for a year at the company's expense and had a great time. The family loved it too. Would I do it again? Yes, I would go tomorrow.

Everybody is different though and it depends on what you are being offered. All I would say is you would likely regret not going more than you if you did go.

And the fishing is pretty good too......

The biggest downfall is that it is a seriously LONG way away should you want to come back for any reason. I know somebody that came back for a wedding for a weekend!!!! Don't worry about who you leave behind too much either, they will all want to visit!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Greg,
Better standard of living (one of the best in the world at the moment), strong economy, it is warm and sunny for more than two days a year, unlike england. Good schools, healthcare.
Right enough of sensible. FFFFFFFFFFFFFIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG, Probably has more good fishing than any other country in the world.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
ok this is flipping weird, ive literally just got home, sat down, flipped up the lappy and logged on after having a good few hours chatting to some one and they have asked me to go to Australia to work for a couple of years my brain is fried dunno what the hell to think.Iim comfy with my little island but i dont think i can miss this opportunity. this is going to take a while before i decide what i want just like you greg ive got to think about family friends assets ect

BUT the fishing sounds GREAT

what can i lose?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
ok this is flipping weird, ive literally just got home, sat down, flipped up the lappy and logged on after having a good few hours chatting to some one and they have asked me to go to Australia to work for a couple of years my brain is fried dunno what the hell to think im comfy with my little island but i dont think i can miss this opportunity. this is going to take a while before i decide what i want just like you greg ive got to think about family friends assets ect
manup lad! GO p.s can I have your mini?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Greg, I was in your position over 20 years ago in my case it was Singapore and after mulling it over for a few days I decided to go for it. And it was probably the best decision I have ever made, the opportunities that opened up because of that first job in Singapore have been fantastic. Sydney is a cracking place, Beer, barbequed food and plenty of sunshine oh yes and if you wear a tie you’re a poofta! it’s a very level headed place. I’ve got several friends based in Sydney all ex-pats and I don’t think any of them would want to swap places. Don’t worry about the distance its only 21 hours flying time from London and you sleep most of that and Skype is free, my Mrs sees more of here best friend in New Zealand than she ever did when she lived here. Go for it you’ve got nothing to loose and everything to gain.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The replies seem pretty one sided and I'd have to agree with everyone else, deinately worth a go. My Mrs keeps dropping hints about moving there once shes finished her degree, helps that she has an Ozzie passport though, her brothers also just waiting for his house here to finalise before hes back over there, c'mon lets all go:-D

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the feedback / points of view.

I guess it is 'better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all...'

**** - what's the postage like to Oz?

Will I be the only person there with a red rod?

These are important considerations...:-D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts