Shrimps | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Shrimps

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by {name}, May 29, 2014.

1. Pike

Hi all never post any of my fly fishing on the forum but thought i would start. The last year i have been into tying and fishing modern salt water and pike flies in a big way and with some great success but i am still no expert. Tying trout flies does not really do it for me my friend ties them for me or i buy them.

I thought i would start with putting on some shrimps patterns i have tied recently using shrimp foils and ice wing, I don't know how many of you use shrimps and if any of you catch many fish on them.

The materials i use are Ice wing, shrimp foils, silly legs, buck tail, moose hair and arctic fox tail.

The hook is a size 4 partridge salt water shrimp cs54/ss

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 24
  2. Pike

Cracking flies Matt, especially like the natural coloured shrimp. Sure they'll all catch. Never really thought of using shrimp patterns. I know that Simon Everett who's an accomplished fly fisherman has had some success with his shrimp flies, especially around weed beds. Look forward to hearing how you get on. Thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. A

They look fantastic Matt, do there eyes reflect light? also have you thought about a rattle to get the prawny click

4. Sea Trout 2015 Bass Challenge Winner 2016 Bass Challenge Winner

Some great work there.

5. Pike

Excellent attention to detail, they look perfect.

6. Pollock

Very nice Ties Matt, have you tried them for sea trout ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2014
  7. Pike

matt the eyes don't reflect light and they are too small really to put rattles in really i have tied quite a few of my pike flies with rattles, thought they might be good higher up the estuary.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pike

i recon they would catch sea trout, i know they do use a lot of shrimp patterns for them, me and my dad used to catch them on our holidays in scotland on shrimps but they never looked like these ones.

9. Chub

They look cracking- I've not used the foils but these look like good use of them. I love tying shrimp and prawn flies but they normally end up a bit more on the impressionist side of things ;-)

Whenever I fish prawn patterns I end up being mobbed by pollack- would be good to hear how you get on with yours.

Have you tried some of the patterns from Global Fly Fisher such as the Perfect Leo or the Organza Ribbon Shrimp from Barry Ord Clark? Both cracking looking patterns with the latter much easier to tie than the more involved Leo shrimp.

p.s great to see a fly post

10. Mullet (foul hooked)

Hi Matt
    Your flies look great I am a local with a boat on the estuary and into fly fishing in and around the estuary if you fancy getting together.
    See my post earlier today.