The Lure Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kid you not ... read on!

Saturday morning was looking like a cracker so the forecasts said - they were not wrong!
Low tide was approx midday so I would be fishing the outgoing tide on the kayak and had rigged up the fly and SM270 rods to take out with me. Kerry and Scout came down with me so they could soak up the rays and Scout can have a run around on the beach. We got down to West Wittering approx 7.15am - empty car park and sun shining, got the gear sorted and a quick recce to launch. Note - see last weeks report as the car park opens at 6.30am and is locked before that!

Got on the water for 8am to be greeted by a football field of terns feeding and wheeling over bass - glorious! Paddled out to join them and had a wicked first part of the morning gliding over sandbanks while juvenile bass busted around me in their hundreds - note to self underwater vid camera going with me as I would have got some great footage of groups of up to 8 bass following the fly in! Caught 6 small un's again - including catching on home ties - ray's fly and a large bonefish tan/pink gotcha's which I was pleased about!

The tide was pumping over some gorgeous sand flats with currents and rips in around 6 feet of water - lovely bar edges pushing the water up into some great big eddies - very jersey-esque! water was crystal with just a touch of suspended weed which made spotting the fish easier.

After about an hour and being shadowed by a paddle boarder who had a handline (watch this space for SUP board fly fishing :)) the tide had changed enough to break up the shoals of bass and the terns segregated - a few boats had turned up but missed the feeding frenzy so I decided to stretch my legs and beached the kayak on an emerging bar.

Hmm waters warm I thought - I was wearing a short wetsuit, boat shoes and impact vest so I decided to have a wade along a flat with a deep runoff - tide was still pushing so I had to watch my step but the current made swinging a fly easy ... just caught a larger sliver of silver out of the corner of my eye ... did I imagine that bonefish? no its a bass!! ... followed by a couple more fast moving bars of silver around 4 lbs within casting reach!!!

Dammit they spook easy I thought - followed by 40 mintues of trying to tempt travelling fish ... bass are proving a bit more wary than bones ... harumph

A huge silver shadow glided 10 yards in front of me as I caught my breath and readied a cast I saw a thick pair of rubber lips smile back at me ... relax it's a mullet ... dammit!

I had promised to pack up and get back to the beach for 10am - had a quick paddle over to Justin Anwyl who had just drifted up guiding and gave him the skinny as he was just starting.

Back to the beach I rocked up to the wife with the coleman burner going and bacon sizzling away ... ahh this is the life!

We left site about 11am - there was about a 4 mile tailback to get onto the carpark - early bird catches the fish ;)

Some piccies - you can just about see me beached on the bar!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Alex,

I enjoyed reading that, great report and pics and some good Bass to boot ! Cracking photo of the dog :-D

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Super-Dooper report & pics Alex !!! :clap: Awesome !!! Loved that :D

Note to self: The appeal of a Kayak continues to increase ;)

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Super-Dooper report & pics Alex !!! :clap: Awesome !!! Loved that :D

Note to self: The appeal of a Kayak continues to increase ;)
Note to Simon, They don't make them that BIG :muttley:

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Great report Alex. The lure of the kayak is getting stronger!!!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kayak is definately getting a workout - getting into shape for the Jersey boat fest. It is hard work paddling and I consider myself on the fitter side - just wish I could go faster!

Reaping the rewards and learning as I go - still need a drogue to keep the yak drifting nose first so i can false cast - not so much of an issue with the lure rods but tricky with the fly ...

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Alex what sort of distance do you think you are covering although I guess the current will make a difference if it is against you?

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm good question ... I was roughly drifting a good 80m or so a time - takes a while to paddle back against the current but you do get a fair amount of time with the fish - the shoal was big enough for me to drift alongside without losing contact!

·
Registered
218 Posts
After about an hour and being shadowed by a paddle boarder who had a handline (watch this space for SUP board fly fishing :)) the tide had changed enough to break up the shoals of bass and the terns segregated - a few boats had turned up but missed the feeding frenzy so I decided to stretch my legs and beached the kayak on an emerging bar.
Genius I have been thinking about taking out a rod on my 9'8" sup but that would be pretty tricky, but a hand line + a bag full of x-slayers = wrasse attack. What would we call it dead lining ??
Just need to figure a way to get the line back, my guess is gloves.
If I do get around to trying this I will be sure to let you all know.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Damnit! I have to start trying further west, the vis around my way (Brighton/Eastbourne) is crap at the moment with this May rot especially the first 50 yards out! Having just got back from Cornwall where the vis is amazing, it makes it even more apparent!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Alex, super report and terrific quality photos. Well done and thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Genius I have been thinking about taking out a rod on my 9'8" sup but that would be pretty tricky, but a hand line + a bag full of x-slayers = wrasse attack. What would we call it dead lining ??
Just need to figure a way to get the line back, my guess is gloves.
If I do get around to trying this I will be sure to let you all know.
The guy had a line attachment to his leg - looked like a crab line!

However there is a SUP fishing kit on the web here - http://poseidonstandup.com/index.php/vmchk/SUP-Fishing-Gear/View-all-products.html

I would still leash the rod to you - I am still wobbly on a SUP board plus I need to buy one now too!

·
Registered
519 Posts
nice one alex, good report there mate, i see you've got yourself a small rat dog, they always remind me of splinter from teenage mutant turtle's

all the best

kev

1 - 16 of 16 Posts