The Lure Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out tonight to a usual spot that has been dead recently due to heavy netting :evil::evil::evil: so i rigged up a gulp sandeel and waded out a little i was sinking and drawing it when i got the tell-tale bang bang bang of a bass i was surprised by this and in my haste tightned the drag instead of loosening it....fish broke me off half way up the leader....sad that i lost the fish and that it has a 5 1/2 inch sandeel in its mouth....glad the bass are back at this mark....pixxed off that my leader broke again, so i have a few questions:

1 i have berkely vanish fluorocarbon in 10lbs is this any good, recommend a better one?

2 also my knots seem to be error prone, one is strong the next useless, is this down to some part the line or just me?

3 any tips on what knot to use attaching fluoro to snap clip?

Thank you all in advance as i am sure i will get some excellent replies :)

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Hi Kevin, knots are all practice, if they look or feel that they went together wrongly, they probably are!
I've been using the Lindeman knot for attaching line - braid or FC - to terminal tackle; it's really easy once you've tried it a few times.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks tim il give that one a shot

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Kevin,
If your leader broke half way up, then your knot is OK, it is damage to the leader that was your undoing.
Berkley Vanish is one of those lines that you will love or hate for leaders, some rate it, some don't.
I would look at getting something alittle tougher-TripleFish, Seaguar, Ultimate all seem to get good reviews
from plenty of the members, also I would be very careful going below 15lb unless the mark was pure sand, and
even then I would be checking it for nicks every couple of casts. I fish 15lb on clean ground, and 25lb on reefs/rough stuff.

Brilliant to hear the bass have moved back into the mark, after having been netted out. And you have found what works, so next time....
Best of Luck.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Hi Kevin I am with Dave on this as I dont really think that bass mind much about the difference between 10lb and 15lb (except possibly in very clear water) but the heavier stuff does give a bit extra insurenance. I use and rate seaguar as honest reliable fc. I learnt years ago with fly fishing that fc and blood knots (tucked or whatever) dont mix or at least not for me! I use a uni knot for connection to links or swivels etc. I am sure you know it already or can easily find it but if you get desperate pm me and I will draw it for you.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
http://videofishingknots.com/

Just thought i would put up this site seems to have very good clear descriptions of a lot of knots :) thanks for the replies guy's :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts