The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I recently foul hooked what I think must have been a sandeel. It was 6-8 inches (15-20cm) long and about half an inch (1cm) wide. It was mostly silver in colour with a hint of a yellow on it's back, and it had an eel/snake-like profile. To me it looked very much like the Tide Minnows in silver/chartreuse back (139-TS). Anyone know what it might have been? Also, can anyone suggest any lures or SPs that match that description?

I'm trying to match the local bait fish and think that chartreuse back/silver sides might do the business, especially in a 6 inch soft plastic.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated,

Tony.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Big Tones

Sounds like you may have hooked a launce. Could be worth having alook at a Savage Gear Sandeel ( i picked one up in Veals). They come with a weighted jig head already rigged and a spare body.

Not had a chance to use mine yet but i think they'll cast well. They do two sizes , i've got the 12.5 cm (23g.) but they also do a larger one. Think they come in three colours schemes.

all the best

tony

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Hi Guys,

I recently foul hooked what I think must have been a sandeel. It was 6-8 inches (150-200cm) long and about half an inch (1cm) wide. It was mostly silver in colour with a hint of a yellow on it's back, and it had an eel/snake-like profile. To me it looked very much like the Tide Minnows in silver/chartreuse back (139-TS). Anyone know what it might have been? Also, can anyone suggest any lures or SPs that match that description?

I'm trying to match the local bait fish and think that chartreuse back/silver sides might do the business, especially in a 6 inch soft plastic.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated,

Tony.
Megabass do the X120 in the sandeel colour,I have thought about this plug/combination especially over sand.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

Nigel, I've had a look through the AGM site but can't find a silver/yellow colour combination. Can you think of any in that colour?

Tony, Which colour of the savage gear eels did you go for? Are the chartreuse ones yellow all over or silver underneath? Do they do a shiney silver?

Nick, same question, do they do a silver with a chartreuse back? Is **** the man to speak to about these lures?

Thanks again guys. Your help is much appreciated.

Tony.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has anyone tried painting their SPs? Could I get a silver eel and add a yellow stripe to the top with paint from the model shop?

Tony.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
The Prologic Sandeel is a good attempt at a copy and has a paddle tail. The Sakura Magic Eel is a better copy with no paddle tail. Both were successful "straight out of the box". Mother Eels and Mother Worms are even more sinuous but not as realistic looking (not that it seems to matter).

With all due respect to all hard lures, launce swim with a very sinuous action and I have not seen a hard lure that can match the above SPs in this regard.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm not familiar with most of them. Where would I find them? Are they available in the UK?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Dicky,

Thanks for that. I hadn't looked at those. Perhaps I need to do some more research. Do they have a good action and do the bass like them?

I've seen that colour combination (yellow, white, orange) on a lot of japanese lures. Is there a particular type of bait fish that they are trying to imitate? In fact I have a Daiwa Saltiga in the same colours, but I haven't used it much yet.

Thanks again.

Tony.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi Dicky,

Thanks for that. I hadn't looked at those. Perhaps I need to do some more research. Do they have a good action and do the bass like them?

I've seen that colour combination (yellow, white, orange) on a lot of japanese lures. Is there a particular type of bait fish that they are trying to imitate? In fact I have a Daiwa Saltiga in the same colours, but I haven't used it much yet.

Thanks again.

Tony.
The skinny ones have a nice action, but I've only had wrasse on the to be honest.

I've got some of the fatter ones but havent tried them yet.

Too many SP to try!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Can anyone else suggest a hard or soft lure with silver sides and a yellow back?

Tony.

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Can anyone else suggest a hard or soft lure with silver sides and a yellow back?

Tony.
What about a Feed Shallow 128 Colour no.3 HG Chart, like the one below which I got from **** (sorry about the photo quality)?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ah-ha!!

Currently top of my wish list, Nick, along with the Tide Minnow in the same colour in at least 2 different sizes. I wondered if someone would suggest it. Thanks for the effort. I saw them on the Veals site a few weeks ago and wanted it immediately, but they've been out of stock since. I didn't realise that **** had them in stock. I do wish that he would keep his site updated. Maybe I should get on the phone more often rather than being an antisocial [email protected]@rd.

Now where did I leave my credit card?

Thanks again,

Tony.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the link.

I've had a look at basslures and couldn't really see what I was after. The IMA Sasuke and the Sebile magic swimmer probably come closest, in terms of colour.

Did you have something in particular in mind?

Tony.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Tony, based on your preferred colour choice for a hard lure, then the Tideminnow 125/145 SLD-F H139-TS fits the bill. Even the suggested Feed shallow as well.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts