The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some folks would probably already have gone down the route of various hook "tweaks" on Lures used from time to time. From pinching down the barbs on trebles', changing out trebles, maybe reducing the number of trebles' etc.

Anyone moved to swapping out the trebles to singles' for some lures....and did this appear to effect hook-up rates in any way, positive ot negative?

If you were to try this, then looking around I would guess that a single' on the lines of a short-shanked and wide gape crab' hook type might be a good place to start?

Just a thought that ought to make unhooking a mess of trebles and a mouth full of sharp teeth a lot easier, if it works.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I have never swapped the treble hooks on plugs for singles as I thought it would impair the lures action especially on suspended lures however I have changed trebles on metal jig,s and small pirk,s to singles as I have found them to have a better hook up and they are less damaging to fish.

I use Mustad Hoodlum hooks in 1/0 & 2/0 and sometimes smaller on my jigs and pirk,s,they are very strong and durable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Alan.....did you try changing trebles for singles since you posted your question? I like the idea but I have also not done so as the advice has been that it would upset the lure's action.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Paul,

Short answer is no.....to date.....but that is down to illness and Winter. I have changed from medium running treble rigged lures over to the single hook rubber variety with considerable success on the Pike....overwinter....and indeed made a simular switch over at the endish' of last season on the Bass, with some success. Next step is to put some suitable singles on some surface lures for both Bass and Pike when the weather gets' warmer.

I am not really concerned about singles' spoiling/altering a lures action.....the question should be "will it work still"? Top Water stuff should be an easier' transition first step for this than perhaps for some criticaly balanced medium and shallow runners. Some of the surface Bugs' are getting changed over when the new coarse season begins. With Esox tending to lie deeper in the cold must wait for a fair test.

"A"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Alan....thanks. I'm sure you are right about the question being "will it work still". It will be interesting to experiment. Your point about the surface lures being less critically effected makes sense and these would seem to be a good place to start.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Alex, I've been thinking about trying Plugging Singles for a while and have just received a few packets of the Decoy ones from Mr Fish but was hoping to pick your brains before I fit them.

Do you match the size with the treble you are replacing or upscale them?
Did you add any tuning weights to ensure the difference in hook weight didn't affect the lure's designed bouyancy and swimming depth?
Should the hook point be facing forwards or backwards, does it affect hook up rates?

My instinct suggests that hook ups would be better with the point facing forwards but I also wondered if fitting them facing backwards enables them to almost operate as weedless.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Thanks, what do you both do for the middle hook on lures that have 3 trebles?
Do you add any weight to make up for the difference?

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
I've been using the 1/0 Decoys on the bigger lures, SLS 17, Rudra etc. I've been changing the middle hook for a single as well. In [limited] testing I've not noticed any negative difference. A Feedshallow I tried against a trebled version seemed to 'roll' a bit more, probably due to the higher c of g due to less weight low down. Daresay the drag from the trebles had some influence too... I must try weighing the trebles against the Decoys; they are chunky things...

·
Registered
596 Posts
Tim, I am planning to put together a little spreadsheet showing the weights of all the various trebles I've got and the Plugging Singles, so that I can calculate the difference when I replace them and then compensate using some of the lure tuning weights I've ordered, I'll send you a copy once I've done it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Ive swapped trebles for circle hooks to try could`nt buy a hook up, and ive also used the wide gape singles yes they work and ive found i dont get snagged as much or maybe just got lucky, also while fishing in florida last november i was using a 10g jig wobbler which had a small treble and that was wrecking the fish up a bit so i swapped that for a size 4 single got the same hook ups, love those jig wobblers.

Mark

·
Registered
596 Posts
Mark, interestingly given your experience using Circle hooks, I Spotted these Yo-Zuri Sashimi Circle Hook Series™, on the Basspro site they are being marketed under the Yo-Zuri Catch More, Kill Less™ banner.

Oddly the Pencil and the Suspending Jerkbait both have the hook points facing in opposite directions whereas the Floating Minnow has both hook points facing forwards.

Sashimi Circle Hooks.JPG Sashimi Pencil Circle Hooks.JPG Sashimi Suspending Jerkbait Circle Hooks.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Glenn,

it does look like those Yo-Zuri Sashimi's do stop a little short of being a true circle hook though, which would account for Mark's hook-up failiures with circles'.

"Catch More, Kill Less".....good YZ marketing approach.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Alan, yes probably more semi circle than true circle, but as I've got a few of those I'll give them a try, I've also got a packet or two of Live Bait hooks which I was given in some bags of freebies by Hi's Tackle Box in California which are quite similar and already have the extra ring brazed on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts