The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got any tips, observations, views, recommendations? Any constructive feedback gratefully received.

Cheers P

·
Registered
1,789 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Makes a HUGE difference Paul in certain situations.

I use the YGK G-Soul sinking.

For deep retrieval techniques and keeping it running down, sinking braid is way better than floating.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Any views on abrasion resistance/suitable breaking strains?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
The yellow G-Soul I've been using is pretty tough.
I'm using a PE 1.5 which is heavy for me but...
I'm using it in really gnarly areas and deliberately hanging up the lure before 'ripping' it free using my Sakura Mazzera.
It is also good for getting hard baits down to depth and keeping them there at low speeds. Floating braids have an indirect angle and more effort is expended sinking the floating braid 'each time' than working the lure.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Well being recent convert to braid and on a budget i am using spiderwire ultracast in 20lb thus far no issues.
Used it in northern canada ide fishing and pike fishing with no issues and liked it so i bought more. Fished it here on surface poppers yesterday and landed the first fish with no problems. Good bit detection on sp's aswell.
Though i havent used many types as yet on learning at this stage and a steep curve it is.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Just found the spools...

Stuff I've been using is

YGK G-Soul SS Hy-Bride PE 112

PE 1.5 16lb

PE 0.8 8lb

I haven't used the PE 0.8 nearly as much so it's too early to make assessments based upon use of that.
The 1.5 is great though.

I'm of the belief that these are 4 carrier lines.

I'm impressed with sinking braids so will now source 8 carrier sinking lines.
This line is 'stiffer' than the pink stuff but not as much as say...Power Pro.

It doesn't sink fast but...
I current, in downstream winds you can quickly snap the line under much like a fairy liquid soaked mono but it's not as fast.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Something I really hadnt thought much about, was the "floatation" effect of my braid. But not its been brought up, I am thankful for it as it can possibly help make a possitive difference on some of the places I fish. Thanks gentlemen :)

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good point, there is a place for that floating effect, definitely.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Mainly use the 1.5 dont go much below that due to abrasion resistance, found the Sunline castaway to be excellent braid, use g soul sinking had no problems, Sunline and Ygk for me. Agree with mike in the early days used spiderwire ultracast 15lb had no problems ,apart from a few wind knots that were easily dealt with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts