The Lure Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't suppose I could bother one of you fine chaps for a single hook siwash tail (hopefully in red) to attach to the rear of a 12cm surface popper, could I?

I don't like lures with 3 trebles, so always remove the middle one, but on this plug I've been advised to keep the middle and replace the rear with a single hook siwash tail. Problem is, I'm not that good at tying my laces let alone some attractive fibres to a hook. The only ones I can find are in the states and it seems futile going abroad just to spend a few pennies.

If you could help then great, just pm me with costs for 2 - 5 of them if that's ok?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Me and Kev have a number of siwash tailed lures.
They add something to a lure and imho, are an improvement of the rear treble for Bass anyway.
How many times does that hook catch Bass ?

There are specific siwash hooks available and prefer the 'cut' hook design without the use of a split ring.
On a top water lure, the tail will look just like the tail of a Mullet or similar when the lure is fished with more purpose and allowed to work over the full walking arc.

In fact, should the additional weight make the nose sit higher, chop off the hook and siwash tail just the hook loop and shank.
Like I said, you'll rarely hook a Bass on the rear anyhow.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice one Bob, thanks for that. Appreciate the advice.

Keith thanks too... generally speaking what size single hook would it be for a 10-12cm surface lures?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
For sizes, you are generally gonna have to play.

We like wide gape short shank owners and or proper siwash hooks.
**** sells some Decoy singles I think but, as for size, it depends upon hook model.
Ones that look right generally are right. More art than science.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts