The Lure Forums banner

size does matter!

848 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Colin jones 
#1 ·
being new to the lure fishing for bass i've have yet to purchase a real plugging rod i've been using my nige williams lure rod 10ft 1/3oz for my recent trips after using the forums and reading everything i understand the need for need for shorter rods to work the lures properly
i dug from the out a very cheap 7ft fladen spinning rod (10/30g) which i picked up at trago mills years ago for perch fishing and had ago with that

oh! my god it's a different world walkin the dog and surface poppers an absolute doddle total convert ,the thing is the rod i used is so soft like a kids rod bends around the butt right through the cork great fun but it won't stop my dream bass
so i'm looking to get a proper lure around the £100 mark i know you must get this come up at least once a week i'm after a allrounder looking at the teklon or the bushwacker i've seen a 8ft 6bw for 59.99 free post on tackle warehouse leaving me change for shiny new lures but i'm wandering if it's abit too pokey for every thing?
i keep coming back to the teklon but (i'm no tackle tart honest cough) i'm alittle bit put off by the gawdy cosmetcis from the pictures i've seen die hard carper see i like thing alittle more understated
i'll be using the norm when it comes to lures a few softs ,shallow divers,surface stuff
any ideas cheers

See less See more
#3 ·
Oh, and a proper 7ft rod, you will find it a dream to work lures. I even find my 8-6 Abu Rocksweeper a bit heavy after using it last night for the first time in a while compared to my HRF and LRF rods. But then, I have been fishing so light for so long it's likely just me.

#5 ·
Quantum Energy Bass?
Have had mine for a year now & love it. Got mine from Mr Fish, around £80 I think.
Mick persuaded me as I was originally looking at the bushwaker.
Probably at the top end of weight range.
There was a really good guide to all the entry level rods that mickhad posted overat theold place. Is it possible to do a quick cut & paste over to here? Probably do with an update as well.
The choice is a lot better now than even just 12 months ago.

#6 · (Edited)
Hi Colin,

I know what you mean about the cosmetics of the Teklon, but I imagine that you would get used to them and grow to like them. It is a highly rated rod.

I have the Quantum, but found that it seemed to struggle with lures under 20g so I picked up a cheap 7' (10-30g) Bushwhacker just to experiment with length and weight. I like it and I prefer the casting weight. The quantum, however, is stiffer and heavier and works well with 30g poppers. I would recommend an 8' 10-30g rod if you intend to use the popular modern lures like the tide minnow and feed shallow. I fancy the 8' teklon (802?). I would avoid anything rated 20-60g. These are just my opinions and I'm not the most experience angler. I can't help you with soft plastics for example, but I believe that the Bushwhacker has a suitable action. I don't think that you can go wrong with any of the Bushwackers. Get some experience and upgrade later if necessary.

There are a few other options of reasonably priced rods including the Sakura Rookie and a few rods by Cormoran. Mr Fish jersey and Veals seem to be the places to go.

I hope that this has been of some help.

Tony.

#7 ·
Here is the text from the WSF thread that was mentioned above. It is from a post by Mick Ward on a thread titled 'Sakura Shukan'. The original is available at:

http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1959184

The Sakura Shukan appears to be no longer available and Mick's opinions of the other rods may have changed. Newer rods have also become available since then.

"Look I dont want this to sound like an advert, so if you feel like buying a rod that I ever mention then you chose where you buy it from, you know what I mean? I have always believed that if its possible anglers should support their local tackle shops as much as possible, without them we would all be goosed. Some guys get a bit of a rapour with their favourite online shops etc, and once used to the service from certain places they become pretty loyal to them too.

Anyhoo, some rods that I really like that rarely get a good mention.

The Sakura Shukans in 8'6" and 9'6", 15-50g, are both really nice rods for the money. They are around £220 to £240 these days, are a fast to ultra fast action, top quality Fuji fittings throughout, very light to hold, ballance well with 3000 to 4000 size reels, come with a very good quality bag and travel tube. They look like a nice rod, and are proper plugging/lure rods, not just another spinning rod.

Sakura Rookies, very nice too and very simular to the Shukan in sizes etc. Dont come with the travel tube. Also have Fuji fittings and are £135 to £150. Again, what I would call a modern plugging rod rather than another spinning rod.

Bushwacker: We all have heard shed loads about tem recently, my opinion is they are fantastic for the money. My only worries about them is the eyes, I am not sure how long they will last, they look like they will go green if you dont wash they religiously. And the action...very powerful for a little rod, great for some aspects of lure fishing but I worry it is too stiff and you may lose fish or at least some of the fun. I still cant knock them for over all lightness, length & value.

Quantum Energy Bass 240 and 270: Mike has one, and I think he will agree they are fantastic for around £80. Blue!!!!! They feel like a (friday afternoon in the Tenryu factory) Rod Bar in the hand, you know what I mean? They are almost fast action, I mean I dont know if the designers of this rod realised it would end up like that,but hey have achieved a really nice action for the money.The casting weight is a little confusing, it says 50-70g!! See what I mean, how can you take the rod designer seriously when he states that as a casting range? I recon it feels like a 10-45g.

Cormoran TR-4 is a beautiful little light rod, it casts 5-35g and feels like a Megabass, looks like a megabass but costs £85. It is very good looking and feels really nice in the hand. The action is a light fast action, this rod would be lovely with ultra light lures for schoolies and sea trout, I reall must get some pictures of one.

Hart Bloody Trek Travel Sea Bass. In 8ft or 9ft, the only 5 pc travel rod that I have found that is fast action and would be lovely for anything from a bass to a baracuda. They have a great action for a travel rod and would cast pretty big plugs if needed to. I will check out all the stats on it tomorrow, as I cant remember off the top of my head but I think they cast like 10 - 70g, nice to see a travel rod with "Shore Sea Bass Travel" written on it, seems some companies are starting to realise the potential.

Shimano Speed Masters: Brilliant spinning rods for the money, I used to swear by them a few years ago and threy have even improved since then. A fairly medium action, but I do tend to only sell the "Heavy" action versions. They work lures pretty well, and look and feel great in the hand. Not Fuji bits but the bits do feel ok and should be sound. The old Technium rods were pretty popular for a couple of years, I used one as my main rod for a year or so, they eyes were terrible, I think I managed to replace all of them on the rod within a year, they just fell out or the actual metal part of the ring would just snap. Well the Speed Master range is a great rod to get into lure fishing with and would suit most anglers that like through action rods.

Well there are a few of my favourites that are around at the moment, maybe some of you wont agree with some of my comments on certain rods but they are just my opinions and not fact. Hope this helps, if nothing else it'll give us a few more rods to think about."

I hope that this is OK with moderators and referenced appropriately.

#8 ·
Used the 2009 8'6" Bushy for most of last year-Cracking rod for the money, if you fish alot of lures between 24-30g then I would look at the Quantum Energys. Again a very good rod for the money, belts patchinkos beautifully. And has plenty of power to handle a decent bass.
Haven't tried one, but the Sakura Rookies in 8'6" have gotten excellent reviews from some of the more knowledgable members on here. Alittle more than your budget, but might be worth thinking about before you decide.

#9 ·
thanks for the repies i'll keep playing around with what i've got for a minute and just catch a few hopefully! it would be nice to get hold of 1 or 2 and av a wiggle the teklon seems to be the hot fav for every one at the mo but the Cormoran tr4 has just caught my eye thats a great looking bit of kit anyone got any views

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.