The Lure Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You sometimes get that feeling in your water that the day is going to be good... not often as we would like BUT I just had to leave work early today.

1600 hrs and I was away from the desk and by 1700 hrs almost at the lake... My hollow tie was deployed in several marks but all failed to attract... BUT I knew I was in the wrong place! As the sun started to dip I decided to go to a mark where I'd lost a reasonable pike previously and decided to play hardball... I knew that I'd scored in this mark with dark flies... black or olive and decided to use one of my pal, Simon Graham's ties. Simon has become a great pal over the ether and we occasionally phone each other to chew the fat...

I have digressed the tube fly... very wet at the moment is an olive raccoon tail, gold flash and brown raccoon head with a gold conehead... I armed it with a Sakuma Manta 2/0...

I cast into a mark where I'd had a loss earlier this year casting beyond the lilies and bringing the fly back on both sides of the V... Nothing was doing. However there is another slot in the lilies 6ft away but a difficult cast... more a back cast between the shrubbery and cast to the open water but then cast it onto the corner of the small lily pads... hopping it over the top of them and then dropping it into the water. Second cast and as it just dropped into the water a bait fish went vertical and with a boil of the water I was in...

Boy did this fish run for open water... a strong fish that I was keen to subdue quickly and get back in quickly... My newly built rod, a self build Harrison Lohric 9' 9# was perfection itself and at no point did I feel out of control...

So between my pal Simon Graham and my friends Steve Harrison and Mike Helliwell at Harrison Advanced Rods I banked a personal best at 16lb...

The photos are from the phone again... and thanks to the lad who took the photos (don't know who he was but earlier he'd asked if he could watch me as he'd a) never seen anyone fly fish for pike and b) he'd never seen a pike)!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
congrats on the PB :clap:
Thanks... this has been a 2 year slog at this lake fishing in all weathers... I'm fortunate that I'm the only person allowed to target them on the fly... the lad who took the photo said "you're shaking like a sh1tting dog" after getting it on the bank LOL... having lost a big girl from the next swim some months ago... perhaps this was it??? or maybe there is a bigger one!!

:D

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Great report and well done - that's a serious pike on the fly!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Thanks... this has been a 2 year slog at this lake fishing in all weathers... I'm fortunate that I'm the only person allowed to target them on the fly... the lad who took the photo said "you're shaking like a sh1tting dog" after getting it on the bank LOL... having lost a big girl from the next swim some months ago... perhaps this was it??? or maybe there is a bigger one!!

:D
Jammy G I T!!!! lol. Alot of the waters I fish don`t allow fly fishing and even if they did most do not have the casting room :-( Llangors allows fly fishing and fishes well in the winter.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jammy G I T!!!! lol. Alot of the waters I fish don`t allow fly fishing and even if they did most do not have the casting room :-( Llangors allows fly fishing and fishes well in the winter.
YUP... that's me... use the lake for a lot of product testing :D and this lake ain't the easiest for casting either, I did get a jack at a different mark last night that requires you to catapult cast the fly... fish on after 3 casts! Wading in the sea and I'm overwhelmed by the room there is to cast!! LOL

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Congrats on a new PB, bet your going to improve it again before the end of the season.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Great fish, well done there's nothing like the feeling of getting a new PB! congratulations!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Nice going Dave!! That thing has got one hell of a set of teeth!! Bet it was fun on the fly gear!!

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Great pike on the fly Dave, well done indeed!!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice going Dave!! That thing has got one hell of a set of teeth!! Bet it was fun on the fly gear!!

Storming but fully under control on the new rod... let her run to open water and when she went for the weed I could put pressure on and hold her out NO problem... 1st rod I've ever built!!

I hope to be Anglesey bound beginning next month... keep in touch

1 - 17 of 17 Posts