The Lure Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a good south coast skipper for pollack and bass over wrecks? Preferably someone with a fast boat who is forward thinking and keen to try new techniques? Also would be good to avoid the blood and guts type charter, not up for filling boxes.

Went out a while ago with a skipper who told me my IMA Ro 100g jig was a bad lure because the hook was on the wrong end. Genius, he'd obviously been living in a 30lb boat rod and flying collar cupboard for the last 10 years.

Cheers

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi Dave

Where abouts do you tend to go?? Ive used skippers in New Haven, Brighton and Hayling Island and can recommend a few.

Bob

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Dave Elliot from Newhaven - Ocean Warrior3. Pretty reliable although I've not fished with him. Chris Martin who I used to fish with on Nikaria rates him.
A forward thinking skipper with a fast boat is Neil french on Spirit of Arun out of Littlehampton. Lots of good bass & pollack on his boat, has a website and he writes the Littlehampton reports for Sea Angling news.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great stuff cheers Tim. I'll look into those guys.

Bob - Not really fussed on the location more keen on someone who's keen to try new things (even if they may not work!) and can put us over some good spots. Basically anywhere between Dover and Portsmouth I guess.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Great stuff cheers Tim. I'll look into those guys.

Bob - Not really fussed on the location more keen on someone who's keen to try new things (even if they may not work!) and can put us over some good spots. Basically anywhere between Dover and Portsmouth I guess.
Dave, sounding more and more like Neil French. He had an angler catch a good bass (8lb+ from memory) on a surface lure over the Kingmere Rocks in 15m+ of water recently. He was sceptical but when the guy landed the fish his eyes were opened as to the possibilities...
Good boat too - Lochin 40 and she's a beauty....

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I think I like the sound of that guy. Now I remember I've actually been out on Ocean Warrior and although we whacked the fish that day that was where the jig comment came from. Always justice when you nail two fish straight after someone says something like that.

Will get on to Neil French and see what the form is.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
David,
Colin Baker from Littlehampton did us proud when we went out. Although we didn't catch on lures he put us on some very good bream to 3.5lb and was very accomodating to our requests. He was willing to try anything he could to make it work for us even though he had never had a party try what we were doing. We are out with him Sunday week if you can make it (I know you said you were busy previously).
So that is another skipper to consider.

cheers

Mike

·
Registered
268 Posts
I dont have the guys number anymore and he may even of retired by now. But my best fishing ever on the south coast was given to myself and my friends by Ted Entwhistle. Yep, the old angling writer. Last I knew, he had a 26ft fast boat and specialized in smaller parties. He had not long moved moorings from Beaulieu, Nr Southampton, a little further west to Christchurch, I believe.
At the end of a day, with 3 of us fishing (back in the days when I kept fish), we had over 137lb of fillets to take home between the three of us. And he even apologized to us all, saying how sorry he was that none of us got a 20lb'er!!
It was only the travel for me (from North East Essex) that finally stopped me hiring his services. Seriously brilliant man!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
David,
Colin Baker from Littlehampton did us proud when we went out. Although we didn't catch on lures he put us on some very good bream to 3.5lb and was very accomodating to our requests. He was willing to try anything he could to make it work for us even though he had never had a party try what we were doing. We are out with him Sunday week if you can make it (I know you said you were busy previously).
So that is another skipper to consider.

cheers

Mike
Hi Mike,

Cheers for that. if he helped you guys do what you wanted to do then he could well be our man. Just want to try catch some pollack, cod and bass on light jigging rods and baitcasters to get some sport. Only thing is I reckon even the lightest PE2 gear will kill them but at least you get a bit of a rev.

Going to try Inchikus, Takaburas and some big articulated jigheads with thin paddletail swimbaits as well as small 100g jigs.

I'd love to go out on that trip with you guys but its still looking a bit tricky I'm afraid. And I also would want to spend a few £ on the right lures for it that I just don't have right now!

Do you have some small lucanus to try? If not PM me and I'll send you a couple.

Cheers

David

·
Registered
2 Posts
Give me a ring Dave, tell me what you want to do and when and I will see if I can help. Im unlikley to be able to access internet for at least a week.

Mike looking forward to seeing you Sunday. Hoping to target bass over inshore wrecks and rough ground on sidewinder/shads/soft lures or feathers and pirk type lures though you may be able to show me different lures tht will work. I havnt targeted bass in the past week or two, finding the conger an easier target but Neil French has had a good few bass to live mackerel so they are there.

Colin. www.sallyanncharters.co.uk 07814301708

·
1,866 Posts
Hi Dave

Even though its west of Portsmouth, Richard English in Weymouth on his Cat Loan Shark III. Number: 07973 210504....... Highly recommended, knows his stuff, & will put you on the fish.

Regards

·
Registered
364 Posts
i went out last yr - first time and last time on a boat out of poole which will remain nameless. i paid a load of cash to be shouted at by the owners son who was skippering it for the day. he was a miserable little monkey who really didn't want to be there. my mates had been out with him before and the boat has a good name. the website says they're into catch and release and conservation etc - bo*&ocks... he couldn't be arsed to stay in one place for more than 5 mins - couldn't be arsed to spend any time catching mackerel for live bait so we hardly caught any bass. worst of all - anytime anyone got any tackle caught up (usually cos he couldn't be arsed to stay in one place - just shout "tackle up" - then 20 secs later try to cruise off at full whack) or tangled with anyone he'd just come over, moan like f%^k and then cut it all off and chuck it in the sea - hooks, shads, line, braid everything.... conservation my arse....

i felt thoroughly sick not from the sea, but to know I was stuck on this fu&*^ng boat all day with a to^&*r who didn't give a sh%t and just binned any old thing over the side cos he could. he even had the balls to ask for a tip at the end.

the worst was when we just about got alongside back at the marina the boat engine died and he looked shocked and said - fu^&*ng hell - we've just run out of diesel = he was as white as a sheet as we'd just negotiated the poole entrance and dodged a couple of ferries on the way in....

never before, never again. felt really cheated.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Just wondered why you'd want the boat to remain nameless Richard? If a skipper is such a "to^&*r", irresponsible and dangerous - "we've just run out of diesel", any sane person would want to avoid them and they can't if they don't know the name on the outfit.

·
Registered
364 Posts
i didn't think we'd be allowed to name and shame on here and didn't want to break any rules.

i was really disappointed with the skipper throwing tackle over the side and bragging on their website that they're into "conservation".

i didn't feel cheated cos we hadn't caught much - i'm glad we didn't. it showed me a side to fishing that i really don't care for.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts