Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
myfish said:
Skishing, wetsuit swim fishing ?

Where does it sit ?

Boat ?
Shore ?

Somewhere inbetween ? We often get up on heads to fish that ARE accessable later
in the tide by foot. Not always and there is obviously a distinction..

But..what IS that distiction.

Before you decide, consider these points.

A boat is a vessel in, or on, which we float. Is a wetsuit ?
I think not. Do you wear a boat ?, no. If a guy is fishing from
rocks and he falls in whilst playing a big cod, is he now 'boat fishing' ?

Again, no.

Many rules (including the Jersey Bass Festival) state...

"If you can walk to the mark", it doesn't say you 'must'.

Well, skishing can certainly get you places you can walk to at low tide faster.

Ah, that's cheating though right ?

Is it ?

In shore fishing, lets assume a new record white bream is caught and recorded
from Elizabeth Castle. Did the person responsible walk there, or use the Amphibious vehicle's
to get there ?

If they walked, It's shore caught right ? But if they use a boat to get back, what then ?
If they used a boat both ways, would it still count ?, I think so because they are, after all, they on a 'shore' mark.

The reason I ask is to sort of put skishing in place..
Would it be acceptable to use skishing to fish over marks accessible
by foot but, later in the tide, or to perhaps, wait out there when the guy's
on foot have to leave ? I've not listed some pretty damn good fish in the club this year
due to not wanting to upset people..

3 1/2lb trigger, 9lb Bass, 6-4 Thin Lip Mullet, 6lb Wrasse, 3 1/2 lb Pollack, etc..

Interesting eh ?

Again, consider this..

Guy in wellies has to leave earlier than the guy in chest waders, has to leave
earlier than the guy skishing etc..

So, under what parameters will skishing be 'shore fishing' ? because it certainly isn't
boat fishing.
Mr Zippy said:
To me its an extension of shore fishing without going the whole 9yards and boat fishing. i think it falls into the grey area of shore fishing as its so new. can see it upsetting many folk though in a festival, having said that i highly doubt any rules have been set aside for this adrenaline style. ill be packing my wetsuit for jersey!!
bobjameson said:
Maybe you need to take this subject up with the rod records committee

Or the british rod records committee , as should you get such a fish they

would have the final say to what goes??????

Could say the same about a boat keith sail out jump off catch fish walk or wade back

Jury could be out on this m8
myfish said:
I'm more concerned with what the future holds regards skishing.
Just because I personally care less about records, others may.

Saying that, I think amongst more than the few, the tide has turned.
You yourself returning that double is better PR in my book than any dead record.
st ouen said:
You're using a floatation device - your wetsuit.

So I suppose you could be in the same category as a float tuber. How are they treated? There must be a lot of then around catching some good fish albeit mostly on freshwater.
Griff_ said:
A real conundrum this one. Offering what I think is an independent opinion, I would say it comes down not to whether you "skished" to your mark before catching a fish, beacuse anyone could choose to swim out to a mark to get access before the tide allowed surely? As you rightly say, skishing falls outside of the definitions of shore & boat fishing so I believe it comes down to whether you were in the water or out when capture was made. How would a competition committee know or adjudicate on this though? That's another question entirely!
FishingGuernsey said:
The shore is defined as anywhere accessible on foot which must be accessed and vacated on foot. So waders or a wetsuit are fine but feet must be on the seabed not swimming...

As for boat section, a boat is a vessel, a wetsuit is an item of clothing and in no way can be defined as a boat??
mrfishjersey said:
I think its a totally new section, not shore not boat, the only time it would become a problem would be in a comp, unless of course there was a skishing section.
anyfishsupermix said:
Skishing is a problem just by the fact it is a grey area, so its easier to not have it.I admire the guys who do it,in my younger keener days i'd be out there with them.Theres nothing wrong with them running there own tournament, if it works ok we might look at adding it to the festival in future years if they would like too.
Jordanis3r said:
Skishing for me is an extension of shore fishing - you enter and leave the water by foot ... although you could do this via a boat too ... hmmm

Same as kayaking - not quite boat fishing but directly related ... which had its own section at the boat lure comp this year ...
The Squid said:
If you define shore fishing as the participant having their feet on a solid surface that would mean that Skishing would not qualify.

Although Skishers could claim that they can have both feet on a solid surface as they can Skish there.

However, they have been afloat to get there.

Yet, afloat to most of us means sitting on or standing in a water born vehicle.

I have always had a problem with shore fishing rules. For me, Shore means accessible by foot at the time of fishing, not taking a water bourn craft to a sandbank -- rockmark and standing on it, this would include Elizabeth Castle.
Selected relevant quotes from the old thread.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think they have sussed it Alex.

They had different reasons for getting in than we did.

3 in line behind each other on rotation at hotspots like Montauk point was enough to
drive the hardy few into the sea wearing wetsuits.

Imagine that..cast, retrieve, step away wait 2 turns...

No thanks and I think Paul Melnyk makes a big deal out of deliberately upsetting
the locals by driving around with the odd 40lb plus bass in the back of his truck.

So I'd guess, they are pretty alienated.
I don't want that situation here.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The Squid wrote:
If you define shore fishing as the participant having their feet on a solid surface that would mean that Skishing would not qualify.

Although Skishers could claim that they can have both feet on a solid surface as they can Skish there.

However, they have been afloat to get there.

Yet, afloat to most of us means sitting on or standing in a water born vehicle.

I have always had a problem with shore fishing rules. For me, Shore means accessible by foot at the time of fishing, not taking a water bourn craft to a sandbank -- rockmark and standing on it, this would include Elizabeth Castle.

Let me throw this into the mix, in Plymouth we have the breakwater which can only be accessed by boat (there and back) and you are also only allowed to fish on neap tides as arranged with the Longroom (coastguard) I believe. However any fish that are caught there are classed as shore caught and recognised as shore caught by the NFSA, BCC etc.

Dont know if this helps or confuses more, but thought it might be relevant.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I'd say they'll have to sort out an "Other" category sometime soon. When skishing in particular gets more of a following it will have to happen. The Plymouth example below is a good one. Sounds like the NFSA, BCC etc. are just not really bothered anough to have to think up this "Other"category for just one event. It's not black and white so needs a third dimension.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts