The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out for 4 hrs today, Left at 9, high tide at 1130. The weather was the title! Went out of Port Erin, it was OK in the bay but the lifeboat was going out on exercises so weren't sure whether to take it as an omen! Out of the comfort of the bay it wasn't big waves but very confused, the sea seeming to come from all different directions. Our usual first stop, The Sker was no fun, the sea was all over the place so we didn't even stop. We ploughed our way over to Heffer Rock where we stayed.
We bobbed about for 2 hours without a bite, Dawsy, who will only ever use frozen sand eels, was getting frustrated to say the least! I was trying slug go ss, firetails, curltails etc, nary a nibble. Then first blood to me on a 6"smelt slug go, a 3lb callig. Tried again for another hour with different slugs, nothing doing, Dawsy leveled the bait/lure score in the meantime. Eventually I swapped back to a 4" Ayu Xlayer and took another two callig, Dawsy had another one, when we called it a day.
Victory to the lures today! :clap: :clap:
Sorry no pics, I couldn't find my camera and neither of our phones take pics.
The slug go was on a 1/4 oz. weighted hook and the xlayer was on normal worm hook with a big split shot crimped onto the duo-lock snap. All my catches were on a very slow retrieve, there was so much wave action there wasn't any need to add any action.....

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
A 3lb Pollack is a nice fish on light gear.

Have you started to scale down the rods and braid or do your callig get to massive sizes up there ?

I suppose a nice 10lb braid would put the brakes on most of them with the right rods.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I've said before the tackle I'm using now - 15lb PP and a 12lb fleuro leader is waaaay lighter than I'm used to. I WILL go lighter but not yet, I'm still chicken! I remember 12lb calligs off the rocks here 20 years ago but not now. There is still the odd 7lber about and I'm sure it would be a larf on 10lb line, just not yet....

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Well done Tim.
I went out off the Point of Ayre yesterday for an hour hoping for a sea trout, but nothing doing. Although my heart wasn't really in it.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Tim

No not the kayak, I was fishing off the beach.
Point of Ayre & kayak do not fit in the same sentence, unless you are training to paddle across the Atlantic or have a death wish. Really I was trying out a few different lures etc just getting my eye in so to speak after bait fishing since October.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts