The Lure Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone who uses these lures more than me let me know if it is worth using them on our Wrasse trip tomorrow? I was thinking of fishing them either weedless or wacky - any other suggestions? I have them in 3" and 5" and a couple of colours. Lots of other lures and various jigheads and hooks to try but want to know if we can get these Slug Gos to work. Help!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Griff,
I use them in Ireland amongt heavy rocks ad weeds. Up until now I've always rigged them weedless but Ive found hat on 50% of the bites I didn't hook up. Whilst the swim action is not as good as a Megabass XL, Slug n Go's work fine. I tend to use a lead shot in front of the worm to help it nose dive in the water.

Be interested to know how you get on.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hi Tim,

They do work for the Wrasse, I've had a couple of 4lbers on the black ones rigged on jig heads. I wouldn't bother with wacky or weedless set up for Wrasse.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Griff,
I use them in Ireland amongt heavy rocks ad weeds. Up until now I've always rigged them weedless but Ive found hat on 50% of the bites I didn't hook up. Whilst the swim action is not as good as a Megabass XL, Slug n Go's work fine. I tend to use a lead shot in front of the worm to help it nose dive in the water.

Be interested to know how you get on.
Cheers, Jon. Tried them last year for the bass, fished weedless and though we had takes and follows, no hook-ups. Tomorrow is aimed at wrasse so wondered how people have done with them.

Hi Tim,

They do work for the Wrasse, I've had a couple of 4lbers on the black ones rigged on jig heads. I wouldn't bother with wacky or weedless set up for Wrasse.
Thanks, Liam. We have a good range of jigheads so we'll try and get the lures down to them. Got some dark coloured Slug Gos, so I'll take your advice and let you know how we go!

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Are you not hooking up with them rigged weedless then? I dnt want to teach anyones gran to suck eggs here but you are just minimally tucking the hook point into the softy arnt you? And also striking quite hard when using weedless? I personally find it hard to hook up using weedless and after watching trhose crazy yanks and how hard they strike their fish I am thinking maybe thats what you have to do, well its what I will be trying in that situation this year.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
****, George & I caught bass last year on various plastics rigged weedless so I don't think it's our rigging or striking that's the issue. Most hook-ups we did get were really solid on e.g. the Hart Worms and the Picol'Eau lures. The fish seemed reluctant to commit to the Slug-Gos in the same way even though the way we fished them was similar. We were getting plucks on the back of the lure, and swirls behind them, but few committed takes. Maybe the wrasse will be more committed tomorrow (or maybe me and George will get cold and wet - who knows!).
I'm with you though on the way the Yanks strike their fish. Seems wrong somehow even though I know they are Pros and know exactly what they are doing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts