75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People:just me

Duration:4 pm to 7.30 pm

Species:Bass

Weight:up to 4 lb

Weather:not to bad dry at least

Method:spinning and trolling fly rod

Comments: The day was looking like a waste when I woke but was determined to get a line wet what ever species I was going to chase .

Anyway as the day started to clear up and the winds blowing right direction decided to get out on the kayak and see what shows up
the water was like choclate after all the rain and fishing was hard and the current was strong so had to do a bit of an experiment and rig up a slugo on a texan style hook and stick it on the fly rod on a sinking line as I had packed light and brought no jig heads with me .there were a few local bass anglers on the shore trying hard and offering all sorts of advice but I had a plan and stuck with it and out fished the lot
I had 5 fish from 3 up to 4 pounds

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Good skills mate, I love a bit of innovation! I tried fishing a cut down tiny x-layer earlier this evening on my fly rod, but didn't catch a sausage.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Good strategy Allen. Bright Slug-Go - is that the bubble-gum pink?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
great cross over method.

So much rubbish is being spouted about sluggos on the forums, but for over a decade they have been bread and butter catching lures for me and Kev, both as trailers on jigs and standalone (weighted or not).

I also fish heavier 'skagit' heads on my spin/lure rods to work shallow fast current where flies are order of the day.

Well done and, for those wondering, yes, sluggo's are worth having in your armoury imho.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good strategy Allen. Bright Slug-Go - is that the bubble-gum pink?
think so got a lagre box of bits and pieces from a tackle sale on another site .I have a few whip stix to try out also and they to will be going on the fly rod just for the sheer fight they put up on the rod:-D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts