The Lure Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday was a tiny tide for Jersey. Just some 23 ft. We went into town harbour for a couple of hours and again, the area was chosen with the premise of 'getting out' of the freezing wind.

Kev breaks the evening duck. We had nothing over 1/2lb last night but this is real 'LRF' after all.

One of mine to a 3.5g head with a 1/3rd length of gulp ragworm. This came to the Shimano Diaflash UL-S. Lovely feel and bite detection superb.

Kev with a Pouting.

And another..

My net (3 mtr carbon) and the rods waiting as we scope out the stones.

2g head with a tiny fluke tailed plastic I nicked out of one of **** Ward's secret stash bags.

Major Craft Zaltz. 0.5 -- 5g. Incredible rod. Really balanced, faster taper than the Shimano and a bit more electricity comes through the blank on small fish. To be fair...I was fishing 2g + bait which which would be 'optimum' on the Zaltz whereas lower end on the 0.6 -7g shimano. It does make a difference.

Zaltz with another small fish. Brilliant fun even at this size. Seriously.

In total, around a dozen fish between us. Not easy but in the conditions we've had across the Island of late, a dozen fish on lures, over a tiny low neap ain't half bad. We enjoyed it anyway.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Cracking report and Pic's again Keith, keep up the good work !

Did Kev out fish you ?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cracking report and Pic's again Keith, keep up the good work !

Did Kev out fish you ?
Thanks m8, we have every intention of continuing.

oh, and...

No. LOL

He thought it was on the cards but then he woke up and realised it was a futile dream.

It could be different on any given night. You noticed he was smiling right ?

LOL

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Nice going! Glad you christened the Zaltz. Good to see the Pout about again, they went quiet for a bit there. Which pontoon is that?

We should have a biggest Pout comp through the season! I have had some beasts from the harbour on live sandeel. We could call it 'Flobber Fest'

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mark Sleep said:
We should have a biggest Pout comp through the season! I have had some beasts from the harbour on live sandeel. We could call it 'Flobber Fest'
We might have to start a pool for all sorts of species Mark.

Flobber Fest ? I like that. We've had them to about 1 1/4lb on lures. All the bigger ones from St Cath's though. My biggest 2 ever, on bait came from La Moye and Mushroom rock.
We've not fished either place with these LRF methods yet so anything could happen.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I'll take that challenge sir. Dont fancy my chances at beating you on Wrasse, Bass or Triggers, so will don my Pout helmet and get to it!

Did you use the reel?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll take that challenge sir. Dont fancy my chances at beating you on Wrasse, Bass or Triggers, so will don my Pout helmet and get to it!

Did you use the reel?
Ooh, game on...

£1 in then boy.

No m8, loading it today with the PE 0.4 if I can see it.

btw, on Wrasse, Bass or anything in fact....
You, or anyone else will have an equal chance m8. No secrets this year. Obviously, If i'm guiding, those blokes will get the best places, best tides, I won't fish, we'll work damn hard to give those guys an insight inside a day that you'll just pick up as we go along. I like the idea of sharing the fishing Mark. Fishing in company has been great. Much nicer than hiding the car, wearing camo, crawling on the belly to protect Bass marks from people without the right intentions.

This goes for anyone...
We don't have all the answers but, if you want to know about a mark, tides etc, if you fish with us, just ask. No marks belong to anyone and to be fair, alot of mark finding isn't rocket science.

I think many of the guys who have fished with us have tremendous potential to improve and, I was quite impressed by the way everyone gets along. And the friendly banter is awesome.
You don't get that floating out at sea, segregated from everyone. So, for me and Kev, it makes a huge change.

I've gone off on one there, sorry..

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Nice.

What do you think of the Zaltz? If I couldn't get the Daiwa I was going to get one of those from PLAT.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Nice.

What do you think of the Zaltz? If I couldn't get the Daiwa I was going to get one of those from PLAT.
It seems brilliant Mike. Very light. tippy ! holds tight on the drop into a 1 or 2g head. You hit the bite, the tip immediately folds out of the way. It is very zoned, like a good classic pendulum casting rod. The shimano has a more progressive solid tip that leans towards a totally parabolic action but the Zaltz is very compound in nature. I love it. Going to get the tubular version to match at some stage. Maybe very soon as PLAT are sorting out some off the shelf specials for me thanks to an idea courtesy of our mate Vidar.

I need to do the Zaltz justice this week and Mark Sleep has lent me a 1500 sized reel to load up my 0.4PE Varivas Light Game 8 strand upon until my Shimano Rareniums turn up.

The Major Craft stuff we've seen, 1 X LRF and 1 X SeaBass rod has been very plain, not overbuilt, light, crisp, balanced. I think it might be worth addressing the higher end range of Major Craft based upon the mid priced goods. Of course, we don't have hoards of LRF rods to compare it too but, seriously. Something would have to catch fish all by itself to impress me more than this stuff that seems to be coming out of Japan right now. Not expensive either really on the scale of things. Around £125 i think.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts