The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Interesting. Be good to see how much weight they will 'lift'. Obviously a lot of us fish from rocks where it's not always easy to get down to water level to land fish - so being able to lift them (even a short distance) is pretty important. An 8lber that Nath lost a couple of weeks back bent his trebles as he tried to lift it. Wonder whether the link would cope in that situation? Blimmin good idea though if they're up to the job!! :)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BJF said:
Interesting. Be good to see how much weight they will 'lift'. Obviously a lot of us fish from rocks where it's not always easy to get down to water level to land fish - so being able to lift them (even a short distance) is pretty important. An 8lber that Nath lost a couple of weeks back bent his trebles as he tried to lift it. Wonder whether the link would cope in that situation? Blimmin good idea though if they're up to the job!! :)
Ben, if you lift by handlining then expect them to pop apparently, if using the rod to lift then you should be ok.

Not best practise to be lifting unsurported though, either for fish or dangler apparently :laserswords:

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
softie said:
BJF said:
Ben, if you lift by handlining then expect them to pop apparently, if using the rod to lift then you should be ok.

Not best practise to be lifting unsurported though, either for fish or dangler apparently :laserswords:
Totally agree. There's just not a lot else you can do sometimes...

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I think I'd feel more comfortable without this on the lure. The one thing I dread more than anything is losing a potential fish of a lifetime due to something I have done. In snags, more often than not I can straighten a treble out and get the lure back. Its a smart idea though, maybe more for things like freshwater after Perch etc?

·
Registered
779 Posts
there are rated ones for sale designed to break at a certain "weight" - wouldnt trust em mind (they come in a range of breaking weights)

·
Registered
779 Posts
Spitfire66 said:
there are rated ones for sale designed to break at a certain "weight" - wouldnt trust em mind (they come in a range of breaking weights)
ahh they do too (just noticed) :stupid:

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sleep1981 said:
I think I'd feel more comfortable without this on the lure. The one thing I dread more than anything is losing a potential fish of a lifetime due to something I have done. In snags, more often than not I can straighten a treble out and get the lure back. Its a smart idea though, maybe more for things like freshwater after Perch etc?
I have to ask......what knots do you guys use at the link because all my plug losses are from the FC snapping at the knot, yup, I am careful tying the knot and its 20lb bs....or do you guys go straight through with your braid :bangin: :bangin:

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jordanis3r said:
There is no way on earth I would trust those with a fish of a lifetime - or even any fish! so that dream bass is stuck in the kelp and you are using gentle presuasion to coax him out ... or just hard constant pressure and the splitty opens?
Hmm, but your prepared to fish without weight testing your knot or do you test all your knots Alex?? The links are designed for different breaking strains and I'm guessing that my lowly plug rod would give out before it managed to dead lift 20lb??

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I've got some of the smartlinks. Bought them on a whim a while back. I've done some static tests on them and given up before they let go. I was cringing all the way, the thought of it letting go and the kinetic energy stored in it, made me think twice about doing it on dry land. I'm sure it would be different underwater but I was very wary of a plug coming at me at 200mph even if my back was turned etc etc as the bumph tells you to. I will say tho the 20lb ones I have take a huge amount of pull and they didn't twang before I chickened out. That alone has put me off using them.

I can see their benefits at much lower lb ratings in freshwater but I'd agree, you'd need the 20lb to stop a big Bass and at that rate the thought of a plug coming back at me at high speed, I'd not do it.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What colour ones have you got Andy? Where did you get them from and do you fancy sending a couple over.......plug swop maybe?

I wouldn't be using the 20lb/white ones.....thats way too much and I'm extremely unlikely to hook into a 20lb bass :muhu: was thinking more along the silver/red ones.
I've pulled 8lb fish out on 4lb point......its the rod that does the work, as you know.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I use an albright also, when tied at home I put a dab of knot glue on it. I Havent had one fail on me and am 100% confident on it. There have been a couple of times when I have been 'kelped' by a fish, and have managed to get it freed up by handlining with steady pressure. I wouldnt feel that comfortable knowing there was a point there that could release under heavy pressure, though in reality it'd be very rare that I would put that much pressure on. Horses for courses I suppose, depends how much you want your plugs back! My scouser mate once swam out 20ft or so in April to get a Sidewinder back. I wouldnt say my love for my lures runs that deep!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.