The Lure Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the freshwater season opening approaching its time to think about tackle choice. I actually probably should have done this ages ago but have been busy!

I think its time to upgrade from the rubbish snaps that I've been buying from tackle shops here to something a bit more reliable and functional.

What do you guys use for your fishing? I want something thats strong, doesn't impair the lure's action, doesn't come eundone for no reason and that is as small as possible.

I also want to find one that's suitable for pike flies. I hate having crap at the front of my fly but with the price of tyger wire I really don't want to be snipping off six inches every time I change fly!

Cheers for any pointers.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I recently got some of these for smaller lures Dave: http://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/quick-snap-size-10pcs-p-210.html

To be honest though, I'm not sure on the breaking strain but the wire if very thick for their size and I could see them being very useful on ALL my lures. They're tiny, but super string it seems. Impressed so far anyway. Almost too cheap to be good.... ;-)

Reactions: David Sharples

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Try the smaller decoy 'V' clips.

You'll need to talk to Mrfish because they are under the counter specials right now.
I'm assuming we are talking hard lures here.

However, for Jerkbaits as opposed to tow baits, try the smaller egg clips (super strong) but personally, I don't use them.

I do use the decoy V though and they are small, lightweight and more than strong enough.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I recently got some of these for smaller lures Dave: http://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/quick-snap-size-10pcs-p-210.html

To be honest though, I'm not sure on the breaking strain but the wire if very thick for their size and I could see them being very useful on ALL my lures. They're tiny, but super string it seems. Impressed so far anyway. Almost too cheap to be good.... ;-)
Those look pretty nice, have you ever had any issues with lures coming off them? I've had instances where lures have fallen off clips before for no good reason whatsoever. Even had a jig fall off an Owner size 10 split ring. funny things happen under water...

I guess my concern would be that the closing on them is a pressure close rather than a positive lock. If that makes any sense at all...

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Unless they were bent after loads and loads of lure changes, I can't see them releasing a lure without it being intended.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Try the smaller decoy 'V' clips.

You'll need to talk to Mrfish because they are under the counter specials right now.
I'm assuming we are talking hard lures here.

However, for Jerkbaits as opposed to tow baits, try the smaller egg clips (super strong) but personally, I don't use them.

I do use the decoy V though and they are small, lightweight and more than strong enough.
There's three main applications, fly, hard swimbait and spinnerbait. I reckon for plastics I'm going to tie direct. The egg snaps look great, are they small in real life? Would a size 2 look clunky at the head of a 7" pike fly? it'll be for pike 15-25lb.

Apparently there's a snap made by P Line thats pretty good but its a V rather than a D shape..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.