The Lure Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A plan was hatched in the Shout Box on Wednesday night, which resulted in Steve, Iestyn & I meeting up after work yesterday. It was an absolutely glorious evening with a light warm breeze, the pub that we met outside had beautiful cold lager (eh Iestyn ;) ?), and we set off along the cliff path putting the world to rights.

We arrived on our mark to see birds working the water further out, and a 'nice' swell hitting the rocks. The water was like Gin, and we all seemed to concur that 'large' top-water lures were the order of the day to begin with. I was using a BIG 46g lure that i've been saving for just such occassions. It works just sub-surface, and is basically a Mackerel imitation jerk-bait.

After a short while with nothing showing, we all started to ring the changes. We were fishing in to fairly deep water, so we started searching the water column with a variety of lures from metal flutter lures to deep divers (Live-X Revenge), DTM's, Zonk's, etc . . .

Iestyn then thought he had a knock working a deep metal lure, and sure enough on the next cast, he was in . . . . . .

After a couple of pics, and some wriggling, Captain-Beaky was shooting off back into the water. Iestyn was pretty chuffed with that, as it was his first Gar for a few years.

We fished on, and kept moving around the small headland.

The swell continued to pump, and we all got nailed at some stage - that perfect swell, when the odd-one catches you out !! I absolutely LOVE those conditions !

I clipped on my DTM 120 Slim in Chartreuse. It's a favourite lure of mine. I've never scored anything big on it, but it's been consistent for me. A couple of casts later and i was sure that i saw a follow as i brought the lure over a chunk of reef ahead of me. Next cast, sure enough, it was fish on . . . . .

It was actually my very first Welsh Pollock, and following on from last weeks Cod, i'm getting through the species nicely :D.

A couple of casts later, whilst gas-bagging to Iestyn, and not really paying attention, i got hit much harder (same lure), but missed it.

We kept moving, and were getting pushed back by the tide and swell. Iestyn then got nailed by a 'beauty' of a wave, that reared-up and droped down on him :rofl:. He got tremendous sympathy from Steve & I, which basically consisted of us howling laughing at him !!! :D

We saw a couple of other indications of fish moving (& a seal), and apart from one more knock that i got on a Feed Shallow, that was that. Just as the last light drifted-off, we packed up and headed back to the car.

As we walked back along the cliffs and de-briefed on the session, one of the interesting features was the sheer number of lures that we'd all cycled though. We'd bumped s/p's along the bottom. Fired metal casting Jigs out & drawn them back deep. We'd tried the top, shallow, deep, slow, fast . . . . . All in all, a really interesting short session, with a lot of water covered, and bouts of laughter along the way.

Another cracking evening gentlemen. Thoroughly thoroughly enjoyable :D

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Nice photos and well done for sneaking out and getting a couple of fish. Might have to speak with Iestyn about that shirt though...

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
You sneaky little midweeker you !!.....Great report Si...

Nice to see Iestyn has bought himself a new hat.....Did he buy his Dad one to match....:muttley::muttley::muttley:

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one guys!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts