The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering would the fish know when its snowing and would it turn them of
it they did

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Ben,
Doubt they would know or care if it is snowing, but they would react to the temperature drop, either by moving to deeper warmer water or going torbid (sleepy). Don't forget it might not only effect the fish. But whatever they feed on, which again could cause changes in behaviour/location.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
You are quite right Craig, But the effects of the tides and swell means that shallow shoreline water chill all the way down, to varying degrees

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
As it got colder again through the week the fish were around less and less then it got very col over the past couple of days and 2 marks that produced untill late this week are now deviod of marine life :(

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
As it got colder again through the week the fish were around less and less then it got very col over the past couple of days and 2 marks that produced untill late this week are now deviod of marine life :(
I'd say it's the same for Dorset, seems no fish left here. I guess it was not a good day today mike?

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Interesting topic guys, one thing I heard is that snow can break through the surface water columns? almost like rainfall down through? if that makes any sense or anyone else has heard of that before?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting topic guys, one thing I heard is that snow can break through the surface water columns? almost like rainfall down through? if that makes any sense or anyone else has heard of that before?
Sound right but I'm not so good at that stuff

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Not 100% sure but I think freshwater is heavier than saltwater and therefore "sinks" through the water column.
It is the other way around.

Snow flakes has so little momentum it would likely land so slowly it wouldn't have any effect. Temperature change on the surface will create thermals in the water which will cause the water columns to mix. Cold water is more dense than warm water.

When the water cools very rapidily often the fish will just stop feeding. They take time to adjust to the temperature change before they start feeding again. So the fish may well still be in the same spots as before just not feeding. Alternatively, they move into deeper water which hasn't cooled so much yet.

·
Registered
498 Posts
sea water is more dense than fresh, so how would that work out with cold water being more densethan warm?
could it be one cancels the other out,any ideas??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts