The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After all our plans to have a Welsh freshwater bumble down at Bosherston today, the weather threw a spanner in the works and the boys from the valleys were stranded (lightweights!) with a bit of snow. Luckily, us English are made of sterner stuff, and George and I made our way to Bosherston for midday today (Sunday). No snow anywhere in evidence in Pembrokeshire, in fact it was a perfect sunny and very still day - like the 1st day of spring! Having never lure fished for pike, and no pike specific lures or wire traces George and I started working our way around the lakes seeing if any of our bass lures would interest the pike. We spoke to a few guys (and realised we weren't wearing nearly enough camouflage gear!) and got the impression that whilst it was a slow day there were a few fish being caught. We saw a chap land a small pike whilst we were having a break and this spurred us on afresh. George and I were fishing adjacent pegs albeit 80 yards apart when I got the call he had a fish on. I ran hard to get to his peg for some photos and to spectate and when I arrived the fight was almost over. George had the fish, estimated at around 6lb to the bank when he made a "soft release" - his fish clearly didn't fancy a photo call. Disappointed to not have the fish to hand and yet bouyed to have hooked his first pike on a Storm sidewinder shad we pressed on.
At the end of the lake near the beach, I made a lure change to a floating Crystal Minnow in Red Head and on my second cast got nailed. Great - fish on and string pulled, mission accomplished. George came across to help me land the fish - no worry I said it feels like a small one (equivalent to a 3lb bass on my Quantum Energy Bass rod). Ooops - wrong! When I saw the fish I realised it was bigger than I expected and quite a respectable fish. Anyhow, fish landed, completely engulfed lure removed and fish revived after the photo call with an audience of dog walkers and kids! Me and George chuffed to bits as we had caught our first fish of 2010 which also happened to be our first lure caught pike on our first attempt!
I hope we can get a few lads together and do this again as it is a beautiful spot and the afternoon flew by.
Can anyone help guess how big it was? We had no way to weigh or measure the fish and having no frame of reference we don't know how what size it was. Guesses please!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Tim,

Cracking report and a good read, lovely looking fish, I would have been thrilled to bits with that, I reckon it weighs about 45lb.

Well done.:jump:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Superb work guys !!! Gutted i couldnt make it !!! Bloody fecking snow !!!
It was about an hour for me Si, so maybe half an hour further for you than last week? Get a 4x4 with the new job then you won't have to cry off!

Well done Tim & George ,shame for George mind .... i guess your pike at about 71/2lb Tim
Cheers, Bob. I was going to guess 8lb, so maybe about right? Sharp teeth mind - look at my knuckles in the photo!

·
Registered
519 Posts
well done mate, it's about 30yrs since i've had any pike but i'd guess about 6 - 6 1/2 lb could be way of though, nice to hook up in weather like this so does it really matter about it's weight.

kev

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Congrats Tim, Nothing like getting your string pulled is there. Hope the Crystal minnow now carries some battle scars!!
I would go with Bob weight wise 7 1/2-8lb. Oh and watch out for the teeth next time!! LONG forceps/pliers always handy with Pike.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Oh and I bet your gear will stink of pike now!!!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congrats Tim, Nothing like getting your string pulled is there. Hope the Crystal minnow now carries some battle scars!!
I would go with Bob weight wise 7 1/2-8lb. Oh and watch out for the teeth next time!! LONG forceps/pliers always handy with Pike.
Cheers, Dave. managed to leave the long forceps at home (nice one, Tim!) this morning and had to make do with the ordinary pliers which were NOT long enough. Lure is suitably scarred as are my knuckles, so will remember the forceps next time. Just nice to have a fish on the line again....:-D

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Nice fish Tim! Beats all the rain we had here today. I would estimate somewhere between 7 and 40lb depending on who you are telling the story to.......

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
excellent Tim really pleased for you both. top effort. poxy snow was gutted speaking with Si at 6am this morning the mountain roads by me were closed till midday and by then it was too far a journey time to consider it!! congrats to you both though, will re-arrange the meet.
Iestyn, we will have to do this again. As I said to Steve Lewis, to get a crowd of us over there would be a blast and it's a super spot and easy to fish. We were fishing on inistinct today and whilst we only had one pull each it was gratifying to see the results. Not huge fish, but the tackle coped easily so I would not be scared of handling a big one. Let's arrange another one!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice fish Tim! Beats all the rain we had here today. I would estimate somewhere between 7 and 40lb depending on who you are telling the story to.......
:-D Cheers, Mike!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Brilliant Tim, nice to see some Cherrys popping:-D. I Got back from work yesterday morning, had two attempts to park my car on the driveway and it kept sliding back down onto the road so with the snow and being cream crackered put the kaibosh on yet another prospective session. Look forward to the next one.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Superb Griff and more importantly for your lad hooking one before you LOL. They can be great sport and me thinks you might have found another way of passing the time when there's no Bassing to be had. Teach George well and he'll be one to watch for the future. I love it. :)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cheers, Andy - the pike fishing is a great option when the bass are quiet and we had meant to do this a while ago. We'll be going again! To be honest, it is rare now that I do catch a fish before young George and there isn't a great deal more I can teach him. He knows as much as me, and is happy to make all his own decisions about which swims to fish and which lures to use. It's lovely that a teenage lad enjoys his fishing so much and is able to concentrate on what he is doing all afternoon!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Nice fish, Tim. Well done for getting out there, trying something new when you didn't even have the so called right gear, but still caught. Must be nice not to be out done by the boy too.... For a change :aarrg:

Did you have an unhooking matt? I was reading the other day that they are vital for pike because they are not as hardy as we tend to think they are.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts