The Lure Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yet again I've been overthinking things...!

Just wondering if any of you guys know of any plugs available that have a kind of SP coating? I was thinking that a bass would hold on that fraction of a second longer if the outer covering of a plug felt initially soft?!! Or has anybody tried adding a rubber coating to existing lures?

Thoughts please!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Interesting thought, sure it's been tried somewhere by somebody?? I know there's a LuckCraft Flash Minnow that has a real Squid Skin outer. Obviously that's more to do with the way it looks, rather than feels.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Yo-Zuri has made soft coated hard baits (mainly vib baits) for years, I also spotted that Berkley are also doing something similar with a soft powerbait outer body.
So not a new idea, But.....

The latest craze lure wise in Japan is for hybrid soft/hard baits like the Mars Barvow A soft bodied/hard cored drift bait-popular for the exact reason you mentioned-Bass hold them longer before rejecting them.
Have a peek!!
http://www.ashiya.co.jp/cgi-bin/product/product/sitemaker.cgi?mode=page&page=page4&category=1

Reactions: Matt Newcombe

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Matt,
Rave reviews and catch reports in Japan, it is however a lure type that require a reasonable flow of water to work correctly. Awesome in tidal rivers though!!!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Yeah got a couple places in mind that'd work well. Some real nice plastics on that site also! Can feel my first Jap purchase coming soon!!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Matt, no need for the Japanese purchases as you will find a great many of those lures on MrFish's website-Mars lures are sold in europe as Xorus.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Dave M,
Which lures are you talking about??
Never seen any Xorus or Mars soft baits on AGM-Lots of other good stuff though.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I have some Storm & some Megabait lures that i'd say are along the lines of what you are describing Rob. Although, i would categorise them as hybrid swim-baits.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome! Cheers!

I'd been thinking of those takes you get on a Z-Claw when the fish just slurps it in, you see the take and strike, you don't FEEL the take... On something like a DTM or Feed Shallow you've normally got a tight line so can feel a take and react but on suspending lures or big 160mm plus lures you want to work R-E-A-L-L-Y S-L-O-W-L-Y you've often got a fair bit of slack which gives a fish more of a chance to reject the lure before you feel it and react.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Just looked all over AGM none left. They were a swimbait type covered in sp with a soft built in tail. Think they were made by Rebel but dont hold me to that. Forget all that just found them. On the AGM site in the Product Catagories Click on LURES SOFT PLASTIC. Then on the sub menue click on PRE-RIGGED JERKBAITS. Then about halfway down the page. They are really cheep so could be worth ago.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
See I fancy the 75g Hywel. Always on the look out for big lures. But $50 is a stretch!

·
Registered
932 Posts
That doesn't make sense that listing Hywel, unless I am missing something mate? The UK retail for the Slide Swimmer 115 is anywhere between £28 - 32 max. God knows why it's 50 bucks from Japan.

It's when you start getting to those absolute monster swimbaits like the Silent Killer 250/Slide Swimmer 250 & The Mother that the pricing is extreme. But they are big, big lures. 10+ times the size of a Maria Chase for instance.

The 115 & 250 Slide Swimmers have the soft shell rubber "fish effect" bodies like Rob enquired about. You can see it for yourself at about 50 seconds in:

http://www.lurenews.tv/video/kimo/video_id/1015/

I'm sure these type of lures would be superb for pike. But this size for our bass? Hmmmmmmmm

1 - 19 of 19 Posts