The Lure Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is one area of soft lures I can't seem to work out so looking for ideas.

Imagine it's pretty windy, direction irrelevant, it's hampering casting and taking the "slack" line a lot so light weightless type lures are out of the question.

The water depth is irrelevant, the bass are feeding at a few feet deep 20 to 40 yards out.

heavy jig heads don't work, they get the lure out there but they sink too much so the lure needs to be worked at mach 3 to get it in the zone. not good for getting takes IMO.

How do i present a soft plastic??

it's the one situation I need hard lures for and sure we can crack it!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Giant Sayori Shad? 33 grams without a jig head, just stick an 8/0 in it and chuck it out! Sinks very slowly and it looks like and injured fish when worked slowly.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Dave, I bet your fishing related bookmarks on your computer are ridiculous. I think you should count them, find out how many Ben, Alex and Vidar have got and if it's more... Well seek some help, brother!

Edit: sorry to hijack your thread, Andy.

·
Registered
146 Posts
might be the way, do you think it would hold OK with the wind whipping the line about?
http://optimumbaits.com/OB2/lures/optimum-baits-lures/

Find a beefy lump I have had some success with the Optimum plastics in the wind, they tend to fish better near or on the surface though, not sure if you would get your distance though. I would like to try some of their "Double Diamonds" as they look like they would work but not found a source yet.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
James,
Not too sure how many bookmarks there are, but it takes nearly three minutes to scrool from top to bottom!! And that doesn't count the favourates file!!

Andy,
Another thought what those pico softies with the bibbed jig, cast well and should fish at about the right depth (varying weight heads means to could adjust either for depth, or speed of retrieve)

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good looking stuff there. The bibbed lead head might do it.

Just got some more modelling clay so will try and make some larger lures and put a load of salt in the mixture to see if I can make them heavier and sink them a bit as well.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Surely that situation is tailor made for a Bombarda? I have used mine a couple of time this year (really need to make more effort with it) with SP's rigged weedless with no weight at all, asides from the hook. I have floating, slow sink and fast sink, and find the slow sink is best, as it sits just below the surface, but doesn't drag down into danger. I still haven't mastered casting the longer leader though, but I can certainly get it out there.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Mark

I was thinking this morning about a weighted float thing I have. It has 2 swivels at the bottom
Anyway I was thinking of using it to cast a 3" slug-go a good distance. My HRF rod is to firm to get a decent cast on the 7g 3"slug combo so was thinking of using the weighted float.

Anyway the thought of having a really long drop from the float to the lure made me wonder how easy it would be to cast.

Then I had a cunning plan. Instead of tying a the line from the lure to the swivel, how about tying it to a rig clip with bait clip.
Then clip the clip onto the swivel then hang the lure on the now inverted bait clip.

I use an inverted rig/bait clip for rotten bottoms and thought that might work.

I am sure that was clear as mud, but maybe you get the idea

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I get the idea completely Jeremy, only one way to find out! I suppose its a question of whether the impact will be enough to push the line out, and whether it actually stays in the clip on the cast.

I understand there is specific method for casting the long leader. I use around 8ft from Bombarda to hook, and I lay the SP and line down behind me slightly out to the side, and cast with the bombarda on a long drop, about 6ft from the rod tip. The SP generally follows out the bombarda without hooking me in the skull that way. I always feather it down quite hard at the end, to try and turn the SP over, otherwise you could get some horrible tangles.

I use bombardas/sbirolinos as they are designed for that job, and dont create much disturbance at all on the retrieve. I bought most of mine from here : http://www.askari-fishing.com/__Web.../accessories-8/floats-2/sbirolinos/detail.jsf

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
There is one area of soft lures I can't seem to work out so looking for ideas.

Imagine it's pretty windy, direction irrelevant, it's hampering casting and taking the "slack" line a lot so light weightless type lures are out of the question.

The water depth is irrelevant, the bass are feeding at a few feet deep 20 to 40 yards out.

heavy jig heads don't work, they get the lure out there but they sink too much so the lure needs to be worked at mach 3 to get it in the zone. not good for getting takes IMO.

How do i present a soft plastic??

it's the one situation I need hard lures for and sure we can crack it!!
How do you cast them out?

If it is windy when I am perch fishing I try and cast 'under the wind' . By that I mean using a side cast throwing it parallel with the ground, then at the last minute just before releasing the lure I 'flick' it at a shallow upward angle. The lure travels on a very shallow upward plane. It is surprising how far it will go. I am talking here of throwing these baby jerk shads - http://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/baby-jerk-shad-pumpkinseed-shadfiretail-10pcs-p-1227.html

It works for me.

I'll get my coat!

David

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Andy,
We were lucky enough to be treated to a talk by Mike Ladel, at the prize giving for the Weymouth Lure Comp (Well done to all the winners by the way)
He has been experimenting this year with soft plastics and getting very good results by taking the first 3-4" of a 9" slug-go, and then glueing on a curly tail from a super sandra. The photos he put up, left us in no doubt of levels of success he is enjoying.
Plenty of weight to cast with, and the curly tail gives a great action on a slow steady retrieve. By keeping the rod tip low, he said the lure swam about a foot down, and rod tip held high had the lure swimming on the surface.
Andy, I will be giving his idea a try-a totally weedless lure, that can be used in/over/through the weed/kelp, and that seems to score very well on the bass.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I follow Mike's blog, he's had some success with his slandra. A bigger heavier softie seems a good way to go.

I've started to turn to deep water now it's autumn, no dea if that's right but it's been a while since I had a bass..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts