The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any info on where to find some good shrimp and prawn lures? Have been fishing a local river with fairly good success using xlayers of various size and colour but after speaking to an old hand and witnessing him landing some really good fish on a prawn imitation am adamant that a prawn lure will up my hit rate. The same guy took a 14lb salmon on the same lure. I just feel that as much as there are plenty of sandeel in the river the real prize for the bass are the prawns and shrimp as from experience the odd fish I have taken for the plate have been full of them.
Really want to try various colours but am sure white will do the business as I took a 3lb bass on a white xlayer yesterday.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I know I bang on about them, but these are really the best bass lure I have in my bag, in pearl colour http://www.basspro.com/Charlie-Brewers-Bass-Slider-Grub/product/15763/-321147

I have had all my best bass on them (in the dark), up to and including doubles. I dont know why, but i wonder if it's because they look like a shrimp (sort of, in the dark, hidden behind weed, in fast flow, boouncing on the bottom.....) They're only 2.5 inches long but they take big and small fish.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
There's also some on e-bay. I've had a couple of hard plastic shrimp lures since last season but haven't used them yet. They look okay, feel strong enough.....must remember to try them out........:-D:-D

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Have you tried the shrimp xlayer colour?
What is strange is that I've yet to see a shrimp that colour.

Me and Kev are currently researching Shrimp and Prawn to a greater depth as we are convinced they are playing a bigger part than we considered at certain times of year.

I had a great season once using Spey flies and Allie Shrimps. Best season on the fly rod for numbers from the gutters.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies some great info. Have ordered some storm wildeye lures but am not full of confidence that they are the ones. As i said before I have seen with my own eyes and heard alot about bigger bass falling to shrimp/prawn lures in the river than any I have caught on eel and worm SP's. Will keep on searching for the "one" but I have time on my side as I now have to wait till the next spring tides to fish the same spot effectively.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
The PrawnStar!!!
Shayne know it well, tough as old boots, and the tail flick does seem to help in drawing bites. I like the weight adjustment system as well
Middle size and the smaller ones work well over here, but Snapper in Cuba LOVE the big one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts