The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I going mad or is this an option, extra distance and the chance to keep it off the bottom?? :???:

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Greg

It should work fine, redgill type sandeels are often used with a float & kept on the move, but I don't see why some soft plastics wouldn't lend themselves to being drift fished under a float.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Greg,
As Nigel said using a floating weight with a s/p or very light weight lure has been around for a while, be it a bubble float, a kids rubber bouncey ball with a hole drilled through it, or even a jiff lemon bottle part filled with wax. It is also a technique that has become popular again in Japan recently, where it is called Caro fishing.
What are you trying to catch? and where are you fishing? Give us a few details and we might be able to point you in the right direction. Worth mentioning that Mike Kennard spent some time fishing in Sydney-so it might be worth PM'ing him.

·
Registered
779 Posts
here some use spirolinos (sinking or floating) to get them very small SPs cast a long distance out.

Cheers
Thomas
Yup spirolinos are great - come in floating, slow sinking, fast sinking etcin different weights / sizes

·
Registered
528 Posts
This is something thats been at the back of my mind now for a couple of months now.
I was thinking of using wacky rigged worms under a float using a 5mtr rod off rocks.
Definitely going to do next season.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have done this with Storm Sand Eels, had pollack under pier lights around 7ft deep does the trick .. saves money on bait! Works just as good really :) !

·
Registered
779 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
That be these then, I can think of a few places and techniques where these would be worth a go
http://www.artoffishing.co.uk/shop/details.php?id=130acl0ec1
Thanks Dave!! I did wonder WTF those things were for, lol..... ;)

Also, at the end of our harbours breakwater, on the flood tide, there is a seriously strong riptide / vortex / convergence of various water directions of travel. I used to fish this with huge portions of peeler or a large king rag, many years ago. But it would be tempting to see how it fishes with an Sp. Even tho this is the same place I shall be attacking with them towards low water. Always assuming I can 1, get to the place and 2, get myself back up the breakwater when I pack in my fishing for the day!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Why not use a ragworm and be done with it ? :)
Cos my back's buggered and I cant dig them anymore. That and it goes against my principles to buy bait at about 300% more than I was ever paid for digging it ;)
Anyway, thats what lures are trying to imitate, afterall. A piece of a fishes natural dietry in-take. £10 would buy me maybe an hour to and hour and a half's fishing with ragworm, then it would be all gone. £10 on soft plastics can see me with many days worth of fishing "bait" :)

·
Registered
1,827 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
i bought a few when ben opened and they are gret i only used them for surface fishing for carp this year a little though i have to say they are exceptional. dare say the sinking version would be great for getting distance with unweight sp's aswell.
Only problem ive found with them is the stem breaks very easy , but they cast well

·
Banned
792 Posts
I used to use waterballs (oval) with small piecesof herring skin for garfish, will try them with SPs next year.
Think I can easily let them drift in the current and reach a good wide area on this way.

Cheers
Thomas

·
Registered
268 Posts
Mike: One of the things that pushed me into lure fishing and away from my coarse fishing, was the fact that the clubs who own the only waters worth fishing locally, banned the use of surface baits. Why?? Because too many swans and geese were ending up with hooks in them! I would have said it better to ban the relevent anglers for paying attention and causing the birds to suffer. Anyway, their loss, my gain.

Thinking on it, if the depth of ground you are over is fairy constant, then you can fish drop shot quite effectively like this. Whether the ground's even or not, you can still fish the SP either Texas or Carolina rigged (running ledger), but keeping the leads, in these instances, clear of bottom... definitely one for next spring / summer thanks :)

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I have tried this in the past with mixed results. What worked for me was a small bulky float like a chubber or drennan pike float rigged as a slider and taking perhaps one, two or three swan shot dependant on conditions and a small SP with an active type of tail, either curl or paddle. With a small swell or waves, the float will move enough to move the tail of the bait a fair bit. You need a bulky (but still light) float to stop it dragging under constantly in the swell or waves. Alter the size of the float to suit the conditions you are fishing in.
I have caught gars and mackerel using this but when they arrive, I have tended to switch to retrieved rather than floatfished lures.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts