The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Reading this forum the guys over here in Jersey are doing a lot with SPs

I am planning to meet up with them at some point but thought I would ask a question here anyway.

Assuming only rod reel and line, how would you spend £25 to get setup for SP fishing ? And what would you target.
If you have any pics that would be great. And if you really want to excel yourself specify what conditions you would use each SP for.

I look forward to hearing you reponses.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I think you wouldn't go far wrong with some slug baits in 3 and 4", some 3" paddle tailed baits and some curly tailed worms/grubs.

Alot of the guys will give you a couple to half dozen plastics to get you started m8 anyway.

Just pop along..

Be at La Collette 7:45 thur night.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Dave

I had a slow day at work so ended up buying some stuff from there. Still going to get some more today from the local tackle shop as I am going out tonight,, whoops.

Not sure if this stuff is going to work but after reading aroung a bit figured at the price it was worth a punt. It was all around £20 delivered.
What do you think ?

1 x Premium Stand-Up Jighead 7g (1/4oz) - Size 4/0 (5pcs)
4x Offset Worm Hook - Size 2 (5pcs)
1 x Lead Free Egg Weight 7g (9pcs)
1 x Lead Free Egg Weight 10g (7pcs)
1 x 3" Slug-Go - Arkansas Shiner (20pcs)
1 x 4" Floating Finesse Worm - Smoke Pepper/Gold Glitter (8pcs)
1 x Dart Jighead 7g (1/4oz) - Size 3/0 (5pcs)

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Nothing wrong with any of that m8.

Add a few curly tailed worms into the equation, nick one or two plastics from everyone down there tonight and bring a bigger bag to take it all home LOL.
I will warn you, it is quite addictive though please, all be aware that this cold snap and strong wind could really make things tough.

I can say that methods and techniques learned now will carry you through this season and you'll have another arrow in the quiver.
Things will only improve from march onwards.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Jeremy, I also placed an order with AGM for a lot of that kind of thing after going out to do it last week. Keith, I know you said you'd have stuff to use, but part of the enjoyment for me is actually having the stuff with me. I have some stand up jigheads and floating worms I am keen to see in the water, amongst some other nice toys. I even rigged a few last night.. See you down there tonight chaps, flask of tea wouldnt be a bad idea tonight either!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Jeremy, I also placed an order with AGM for a lot of that kind of thing after going out to do it last week. Keith, I know you said you'd have stuff to use, but part of the enjoyment for me is actually having the stuff with me. I have some stand up jigheads and floating worms I am keen to see in the water, amongst some other nice toys. I even rigged a few last night.. See you down there tonight chaps, flask of tea wouldnt be a bad idea tonight either!
I agree Mark, its nice to be self sufficient.
Squid has a flask, I don't know if I do but, hot drinks sound like a brill idea.

When we do the pool session/s I think between Paul, myself and a few others we can show a few differently rigged SP's in clear water. The floating worm on a stand up head or a shaky head is like (my god, that HAS to catch fish).

Just looking at it work will give you confidence.

It is strange I find that people seem perfectly comfortable leaving a SP to sit (minutes at a time) or just leave them to fall or do their own thing. They just seem to accept that is the right way.

Not with plugs though.

I guess plug fishing is more ingrained with people than SP's..

Either way, AGM, getting back on topic have been, and continue to offer great service and useful products.

Please, everyone bug him for hitch hiker clips..

·
Registered
6,673 Posts

Quick one, has anybody experience of these? I have ordered some, and whilst with my other small SP's, you can see there is a 'suppleness' kind of feeling, that would give life to the bait underwater, whereas these worms seem very stiff, as in they just wouldnt seem lifelike? Opinion from SP geeks please!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nothing wrong with any of that m8.

Add a few curly tailed worms into the equation, nick one or two plastics from everyone down there tonight and bring a bigger bag to take it all home LOL.
I will warn you, it is quite addictive though please, all be aware that this cold snap and strong wind could really make things tough.

I can say that methods and techniques learned now will carry you through this season and you'll have another arrow in the quiver.
Things will only improve from march onwards.
Right, I now have a handful of 3" curly tail worms in (orange,black, red and white) and a hand full of 7 + 10g jig heads
Just popped into Mr Fish at lunch time.

Thanks for all the advice see you later if we are not all blow to france by then :???:

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
We'll be there.

Tough it out for at least an hour or so. If fish are there ?
I'll tough it out some more..

All you need know is to attach some plastic to some fish.
I hope you do but please remember, there is a learning curve that doesn't always reward you with instant results.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Keith, any preferred coulours on the Senko lures?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We'll be there.

Tough it out for at least an hour or so. If fish are there ?
I'll tough it out some more..

All you need know is to attach some plastic to some fish.
I hope you do but please remember, there is a learning curve that doesn't always reward you with instant results.
I Keith the reason I like lure fishing is that it is active and outdoors, catching it just a nice extra well it feels that way at the moment. Of course I want to reduce my blank rate but at the end of the day the less you catch the bigger the buzz when you do hook into something.

I have a pretty good cold weather clothing arrangement so I will tough it out for sure.
See you later

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I like watermelon and pumpkin colours.
Actually, they are my goto colours for most clear water fishing.

Both of those colours come in varieties inc laminated Senko's or two colour.
They come flaked red, gold etc...

A white is always handy as is a brighter chartreuse.

Senko's are heavy, salt impreganated and work great wacky.
The Japanese 'Inchy Wacky' technique looks great with Senko's.

There are loads of Senko copies and for good reason.

Worth having in ranges 4 -6".

The thick Senko's are pretty hard to manipulate though imho.

Go with the standard range.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Theer's basically just a stiff little loop of wire coming off of the head. Hooks can be unclipped and changed quite easily.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Just finished reading that article about Senko's. Wow. And it just looks like a crappy stiff tubular bit of rubber. Thanks for the link

1 - 20 of 36 Posts