The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have been reading a lot of reports about people catching lots of bass/pollack with these, i was looking in my local tackle shop and noticed that xlayers are 18€ for 4 in shops here :shock: so being a complete novice when it comes to SP's can any tell me some cheaper alternatives to get me started? I have some Gulp Sandeels and redgills , so any other suggestions would be great, also how to fish tehm? With a jig-head i presume or is there other techniques.

Wilky

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
A lot of folk use AGM for their SPs. I've also been using Camo-tackle just lately. Not forgetting Mrfish of course. Once you start looking you'll find there is a colossal ammount of them about!
The xlayers are blurdy pricey but they seem to be the 'go-to' lure when things are tough for many, me included.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Not only does it carry a fantastic variety to be a European vendor, but also it has been around for years and it is a totally safe place to shop from.

Alex, you really should take a look at the links in my tackle resources thread - the link for Camo-Tackle has been there since day one :mrgreen::mrgreen:

http://www.thelureforum.com/showthread.php?t=792&page=1

Reactions: Tim Murphy

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I have had a lot of success with the big hammer swimbaits. Available from AGM, cheap as chips, the shad head style lead heads are also cheap. They come in about a million colours, had bass to 9-12, pollack to 4lb odd and rockies to 3-7 on them. £2.50 or so for a pack of 5 bodies I think it is and roughly the same for the leadheads off the top of my head. NOT expensive so youo don't get the worry about losing one or two and fish harder and closer to structure and hence catch more fish!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys great info as always, i have a friend in america at the mo il see if hes bringing stuff back first :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Andy which leadheads do you use with those shads??

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Not only does it carry a fantastic variety to be a European vendor, but also it has been around for years and it is a totally safe place to shop from.

Alex, you really should take a look at the links in my tackle resources thread - the link for Camo-Tackle has been there since day one :mrgreen::mrgreen:

http://www.thelureforum.com/showthread.php?t=792&page=1
Vidar, must admit I hadn't really looked through those resources, just spent 2hrs and will probably spend most of my remaining 4 hours of my nightshift flexing the plastic!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hi i have been reading a lot of reports about people catching lots of bass/pollack with these, i was looking in my local tackle shop and noticed that xlayers are 18€ for 4 in shops here :shock: so being a complete novice when it comes to SP's can any tell me some cheaper alternatives to get me started? I have some Gulp Sandeels and redgills , so any other suggestions would be great, also how to fish tehm? With a jig-head i presume or is there other techniques.

Wilky
Wilky

PM me your address and I'll post you some X-layers and clones and some suitable jigheads to try

Nick

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Vidar, must admit I hadn't really looked through those resources, just spent 2hrs and will probably spend most of my remaining 4 hours of my nightshift flexing the plastic!
Ouch, that can be an expensive exercise :evil::evil::evil: :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
With a jig-head i presume or is there other techniques.[/QUOTE said:
you can also use a Carolina rig or fish them weightless and some hooks have little belly weights on them and you can fish those weedless.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Yes, that style but I use the 7g ones and 2/0 hooks. The 5/0 hooks are a bit big for the 3 inch shads but OK with the 4.5 inch, but those are HUGE.
Since joining the forum a few weeks ago I have developed an interest in soft plastics, aptly named, since I seem to be using the 'plastic' quite a bit to purchase various items. I have learned an awful lot from this forum but still struggling a bit with hook sizes for the various bait lengths. I have purchased baits in 2", 3" and 4.5" lengths and aim to also use 5" and 6" baits. Can anybody give me a rough guide to hook size to match the various lengths if at all possible.

Many thanks

David

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Since joining the forum a few weeks ago I have developed an interest in soft plastics, aptly named, since I seem to be using the 'plastic' quite a bit to purchase various items. I have learned an awful lot from this forum but still struggling a bit with hook sizes for the various bait lengths. I have purchased baits in 2", 3" and 4.5" lengths and aim to also use 5" and 6" baits. Can anybody give me a rough guide to hook size to match the various lengths if at all possible.

Many thanks

David
That isn't easy without getting specific.
I guess we could do a hooks or head matching with SP's thing but I wouldn't want people thinking the 'list' was it.
We use a myriad of hooks and heads with SP's. Learning when and where each one works is part of the fun.
It can swamp newcomers to the style so I do appreciate the need.

I'll have a think.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts