The Lure Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Here is the situation I have a mark with about five foot of water, it is out of the main flow so there is little to no current, Heavily weeded to within 2' of the surface. Now the bass love this mark, did well fishing small surfaces lures there last year. The bass seem to respond to a slowly moving bait MORE than a faster one here.So what about a softy??
The bait present are finger mullet-about 3-3.5" long, Distance here does help, but some of the fish can be right in front of your feet.
Now I am thinking that a sp baitfish pattern should be useful, but what and how??
My thoughts are to fish the sp in the top 2' , so i guess that will mean either weightless or very lightly weighted. But will take any advice going on set ups
Also what about the paddletail/straight tail - The hardbait angler in me is saying go for the paddletail, but I notice anglers on here like Andy Marquis seem to do better on straight tails. So is there any reasons to pick one over the other, or just personal preference??

Any thoughts or advice gratefully received

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Dave this is just my view....

If there is no current then a paddletail may cause some interest. If there is more flow I would go to a straight tail (for example swinging an SP down a flowing channel). I don't think a paddle tail vibrating frenetically in a stronger flow for anything but the odd short burst looks natural.

I would maybe look at a SpindleWorm in the smoke grey colour, or a One up shad. Maybe even one of those Castaic lures mentioned recently (mullet colouring) but I haven't used the latter and to be honest the One Up Shad is that good I won't be changing. If tackle losses are an issue a cheaper DOA CAL shad is a better choice, the plastic is a little tougher and the tail is a bit smaller, so it is not so frenetic as the first two I mentioned.

Another much under rated Straight SP is a Hazedong Magnum. It has a bulkier body, doesn't sink too fast when rigged weightless, and can be worked subsurface. It has winkled out a few better fish for me over japweed beds and because it is bulkier it takes a heavy gauge EWG hook better than, say an XLayer. Handy if you might need to bully a fish out of the weed you mentioned.

Let us know how you crack it in the end.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Dave, a Delande GT Shad 4inch paddle tail should do the trick. I had a few great sessions with them, when the feed mullet were in the estuary. The french call the colour Nacre, which is white, but with a nice sheen, it matches the hatch perfectly, they are heavy enough to cast without a weight, or put them behind a bombarda float if distance is an issue. Hope this helps regards Bob

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

Paul, roughly how much weight (jighead/caroline) would it take to get the spindleworm/oneup shad swimmming about 1' below the surface. I will about 6' above the water level??

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bob, will give them a try, the idea of using a bombarda rig is interesting, something I have been looking at from a different way elsewhere in my fishing. I like the fact you can control the depth with Bombarda rather than loading the sp with more weight.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I was going to mention the bombardas too before reading Bobs reply.

Agreed in general too on all the paddle/straight tail. Less current = paddle, more current = straight. Saying that, even in slack water, if I'm fishing for bites OTD or slowly twitching a weightless bait, I'll mostly be using a slug. Simpler retrieves I'll use the paddle. Ecogear BTS is one I've used in a similar situation. Cast well weightless, sink slowly and wound back with your rod tip high they'll come back just under the surface sending out a great wake.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
hazedong

I would use a weedless rigged hazedong magnum with no weight because they cast really well at 14g sink slow and catch all bass that move! Well for me anyway

·
Registered
268 Posts

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Thanks guys,

Paul, roughly how much weight (jighead/caroline) would it take to get the spindleworm/oneup shad swimmming about 1' below the surface. I will about 6' above the water level??
Something like 3 to 5g? Will depend on the speed of retrieve, unless you keep your rod tip 1' underwater.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hi Dave, I'm confident using sluggos and Sakura Snoops fished texas style unweighted as they hang in the water that bit longer. Having caught bass in shallow
conditions like you describe this year, I'm talking about day time fishing here, I'd say night time is a totally different ball game Dave but to be honest I've no experience (yet) but I'd imagine paddle tails and curly tails i.e. vibrations might be the answer. Night fishing for me is a bit daunting as I fish a lot on my own. So I'm no expert

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I would go for a weightless weedless smelt imitation with a whip tail. They will sink very slowly but when jerked (or rather given a long fastish pull) the whip tail gives off a huge vibration.

What baitfish are present that you know of?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Andy,
3-3.5" Mullet are probably 90% of the baitfish present and definately what the bass are there for.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers Andy,
That is both you and Paul B that have reconmended that lure/colour combination to me-Good enough for me. Will make sure to get some in, in time for next year.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
They aren't the cheapest lure but also not the most expensive, great smell and great action. they come in 3 inch and 4 inch I think.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Andy,
Compared to haitbaits they seem pretty reasonable to me. A couple of quid a go is cool. Bearing in mind that I won't just be fishing them all of the time (patchinko100 just worked too well)

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
maybe so, but you lose a lot more softies as you fish them harder and closer, but maybe its because there are so many wrasse here they destroy all forms of soft lure very quickly!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts