The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Forgive me for being a bit slow here but loking at the solunar charts, basically, they say the best times to fish are the new/full moon. I thought we all already knew that? Am I missing the point here? I have seen/heard a lot about it but seem to be mssing something. Could you explain in more detail what we should be looking for? Is it the exact times of day on the day of new/full moon we are looking at?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Andy, I am still learning about this Solunar effect myself heres my twopence worth: There is more to it than NewMoon and Full Moon, you get a number of Solunar effects during a 24hr period; Moonrise,Moonset, Sunrise,Sunset, Moon transit and Sun transit. Moonrise and Moonset can be more important than dawn and dusk. Kevin mentioned superb fishing for a brief period in the middle of the day under bright sunshine this could have coincided with a Moonrise or indeed a moonset.This happened to me on three ocassions last year;frantic activity for about 45mins. Fishing is best before Moonrise and after Moonset and either side of Moon/suntransit, same applies to rise and set of sun. Hows that for a mouthful:geek:
Andy as I have said still trying to get a handle on it but would love to hear others opinions
regards
Bob

·
Registered
59 Posts
Solunar effects (Tidal force). I strongly believe in this. have a look at my blog because I've been recording this for 5 years now and there is defo something in it. It's a bit more than new/full moon scenerio though!

Basically here in Sussex solunar indexes from -4 to -8 are catching big time. In the summer months between May and August the solunar index is between -4 and -8 at night time (10pm-1am in May for example). However, this shifts as the year goes on and during Sept/Oct it occured around 6.00-9.00pm and in Nov/Dec in the afternoon.Most of my decent Bass have occurred during these times!

Myself and another BASS member are recording all our catches on a piece of software that tells you this. Interestingly we both are finding the same results from different parts of the UK.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Cheers Pugs and Bob.

Pug, is the software available for general download or is it something you have designed? I record all my bass catches anyway but would be interested to see if there is a solunar influence to them also.

Cheers

·
Registered
59 Posts
It's called FishInSight, you can get a 30 day trial but believe me it's worth getting (full fishing log), think it's designed by a guy in Aussie land.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Cool. I downloaded that the other day and set it up with a map of Guernsey and gave it some GPS co-ords. The issue I have with it is the tide prediction software linked to it is rubbish. The times are all wrong for St Peter Port, today's tides per the book and also tide plotter are 13:22 7.0m, 07:07 3.2m and 19:45 3.5m but the WXTide32 program has 13:29 at 6.6m (close time but not size) and 20:01 at 2.5m which is way out a whole metre of tide is a very long way off and the difference between swimming and not) so I guess that will screw things up when I record catches. I'll have to have a more in-depth look later.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Strange, usually WXTide is a decent tidal predictor. I do know that UK regs, stopped people publishing over half or our tidal ports and hence the likes of WXTide had to take out many ports. Think they think they have the only right to publish all UK tidal ports. Gits.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Pugs,
Are you looking for more people to carry out the logging/recording on the software? The more data you have the more accurate the findings........

I need to send in my membership to BASS.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've got this

St. Peter Port, Guernsey Isl
Brest, France + Corrections: High(+2:29 +4.20) Low(+2:35 -0.20)
Units are feet

Thursday 2010-04-22
Sunrise 6:04 GMTDT, Sunset 20:13 GMTDT
Moonset 3:03 GMTDT, Moonrise 12:51 GMTDT
High Tide: 0:30 GMTDT 22.4
Low Tide: 7:30 GMTDT 7.6
High Tide: 13:29 GMTDT 21.6
Low Tide: 20:01 GMTDT 8.2

Friday 2010-04-23
Sunrise 6:02 GMTDT, Sunset 20:14 GMTDT
Moonset 3:29 GMTDT, Moonrise 14:13 GMTDT
High Tide: 2:03 GMTDT 22.2
Low Tide: 8:49 GMTDT 7.3
High Tide: 14:57 GMTDT 22.1
Low Tide: 21:18 GMTDT 7.5

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Cheers for the info. At work now so I can't see all the useful info. Will look at home later. Sorry but tides in feet mean squat to me!!

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Just did some conversions at my desk for Friday... The high water tide sizes are about 0.5m out and the low water ones about 1m out, times vary from being spot on to 15 minutes out so times are fine for tomorrow.

I'll have a play with the settings tonight.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I've had more moonrise and moonset (with current) sessions go the right way than I can remember.

New moons are way better from experience, and yes, moonup or down in daylight during this cycle can be very effective if other things are in place.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Ive fiddled the tide program to give reasonable accuracy, stuck one fish in and it calculated a solunar index of 5.1 I'll stick some more in and see what pattern there may be. That one was lure caught in november last year.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts