The Lure Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking part in a small solunar study on the BASS forum. I am a guinea pig & a guy called Dr. Lee Campbell is the brains behind it all.

Who on here considers solunar influences before they go fishing??

I got involved more as a sceptic than a believer, so if you do use or consider the solunar influences, give us sceptics or thickos that cannot understand it too well as much information & help as possible.

Also if you think that the fishing is better three days after a new moon etc etc tell us about it.

·
Registered
779 Posts
there are a few blokes I know of who use a solunar calculator for their areas.

Last year I was lucky enough to see someones solunar catch stats (without revealing too much - theres a definate relationship between certain moonphases & catch ratios)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I am sure there is a correlation between lunar phase and catch ratios. As I am quite new to all this and don't keep records I have yet to suss this so any information to help select tides to fish would be ideal!

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
there are a few blokes I know of who use a solunar calculator for their areas.

Last year I was lucky enough to see someones solunar catch stats (without revealing too much - theres a definate relationship between certain moonphases & catch ratios)

Tom

I was hoping that people were going to be a bit more open than that.
Not naming areas that they fish in, but just solonar influences that they have found beneficial. I know that each part of the country, each beach mark etc etc fishes better on different states of the tide & tide heights, so I don't think that admitting a certain moon phases has been successful for you is giving too much away.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I'm not going to be at all surprised if I do see a pattern when I start noting my own catches soon as well. Its one of those things that I don't think many people bother recording (I imagine most of us don't keep ANY records), which is why it might I think, seem why people just don't know the answer.

I'm building something at the moment that could help in providing a very wide number of results on this and other weather related factors.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I started tracking my catches last year on a spreadsheet, but it fizzled out after a bit, as i just wasnt disciplined enough to keep filling in all the detail after every trip. But i must admit that i hadnt included any moonphase stuff.

Another topic to add to the list of things that i know nothing about !! Doh !!!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Tom

I was hoping that people were going to be a bit more open than that.
Not naming areas that they fish in, but just solonar influences that they have found beneficial. I know that each part of the country, each beach mark etc etc fishes better on different states of the tide & tide heights, so I don't think that admitting a certain moon phases has been successful for you is giving too much away.
tbh I would freely let everyone know what I saw but I was asked to "keep it under my hat" (it was all someone elses data which was shown to me in confidence)

sorry about that

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
tbh I would freely let everyone know what I saw but I was asked to "keep it under my hat" (it was all someone elses data which was shown to me in confidence)

sorry about that
Is he a member on here Tom? ha ha ha, go on, tell us.......

I hear people talking about days after full moons and after new moons etc and dont really pay much attantion, but I know I should, bit like school really. Keith has always mentioned the moon setting or rising as the tide is pushing, sounds like a good example to maybe try.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I'm still working it all out recording everything I can about what I catch and the conditions at that moment. I willa dmit though that I tend not to bother with little pollack which is all I have had this year so far. It tends to be bass and other species (eg Giltheads or Mullet) that I record asI consider that small fish like the lb pollack are always about.

I do see a correlation though in respect of tide sizes and the state of tide especially with Giltheads on bait but can't recall moon phases at the moment. I had only recorded hull, 1st Qtr, half etc, should I be more specific? e.g. 1 day after full or whatever??

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I used to look at whether the moon was visable (giving light) when I used to do alot of night fishing. Very hard to draw any conclusions. As the light enabled you to fish marks often without any artifical lights being used. And made it easier to move around quietly. Where as on dark nights lights had to used (as little as possible). If memory serves I think the nights with moonlight produced more fish, but the dark nights produced better average size. Would be interested in other peoples results??

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I'm taking part in a small solunar study on the BASS forum. I am a guinea pig & a guy called Dr. Lee Campbell is the brains behind it all.

Who on here considers solunar influences before they go fishing??

I got involved more as a sceptic than a believer, so if you do use or consider the solunar influences, give us sceptics or thickos that cannot understand it too well as much information & help as possible.

Also if you think that the fishing is better three days after a new moon etc etc tell us about it.
Nigel
If you PM me your email address I will PDF over to you three / four years of bait fishing data mapped to solunar peak periods. Impirically you can see a connection especially when bait fishing which I assume is more than a reflection on my inability to plug fish. I am happy to share this with anyone else as well.

There is a thread on the Irish forum - Sea Angling Ireland - where someone published a chart of catches by mon phase. This also demonstrates connection. It think the hread is entitled predictable fishing.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am surprised that so few people consider the moons influence on fishing trips. Are you all sceptics like I was????

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I am surprised that so few people consider the moons influence on fishing trips. Are you all sceptics like I was????
I'm not Nige. Total believer, I just haven't put the time in yet to figure out my own patterns. I know already that there are certain times when I can pretty much guarentee a good day one day, and then know full well that the very next day will be a struggle. Its always the same, and the graphs on that link actually agree with it 100%. Got to make more of an effort this year plotting some stuff.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I would love to offer you more data on this.

Trouble is, we have incorporated it so deeply into our fishing we just don't notice we do it much of the time.

I can tell you that local sun up / moon set coinciding with tide turn or onset of current is just blindingly different to only
having some of the pieces.

I was equally sceptical 15 years ago but, after reading Joe Buchers wonderful explanation of it all, gradually, we realised
that our best fishing (all other things being in place) tied in with solunar events quite nicely.

To get a more accurate picture, you need to do a study. Volunteers are needed prepared to fish around these events and
others, recording fishing time/tides around waning or waxing solunar event times.

I'm up for it.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Like I've said Keith I'm already part of a solunar study on the BASS forum, done separately with Dr. Lee Campbell, not in conjunction with BASS. I have been keeping records for one year & some surprising highlights have been picked out by Lee, not only the day in question, but he can pinpoint parts of the day relative to the solunar index.
Lee is gathering & making some sense of all the data. You need to log catches & non catches. Obviously Lee is primarily interested in bass, but not exclusively as all fish are affected by these influences.
If anyone is interested in taking part PM me your e-mail address & I will send you a simple spread sheet to fill in after each trip & then e-mail it off to Lee.
It's painless & we as angler's have a lot to gain from Lee's research.
Incidentally Lee does this solunar research as a hobby, everything you send him is treated confidentially about where you fish. His actually job is as a scientist working on cancer cures.

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
I subscribed to this website (I think Keith posted it on the WSF forum a while ago?), and get emails sent out for my location advising on good fishing times, based on sun, moon and tidal influences. Worth a look.

http://www.fishingreminder.com/home.html#

Seems pretty good, but not taken advantage of it too much due to lack of fishing opportunities. Hope to see how it plays out this season.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts